British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

7 hours ago, Peter said:

Pete...I'm 6ft and 15 stone....a proper Suffolk lad...my mates are bigger.Time and place to sort U Northern Monkies.My BU's are better than yours...Keep away from farthings...you have been yellow carded..^_^

Being from Chelmsford I'm an East Anglian lad. I'm pretty sure the radio commentator is an old schoolmate of mine.   

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Being from Chelmsford I'm an East Anglian lad. I'm pretty sure the radio commentator is an old schoolmate of mine.   

Love it.

Born and bred in Bury St Eds and now living in a village just outside.I will never leave the place...West Suffolk is where my bones will sleep.

• Like 2

Again some valid arguments but I think at the end of the day ebay is a virtual auction house where we rely for the most part on sellers description and photographs and as we all know as my last purchase proved doctored pictures and benign descriptions are beyond our control. Being at the auction itself and viewing the coins takes away the % of doubt and bidding will reflect the coins true value whereas I believe the reason for lower top bids on ebay is that (just in case ) factor. :)

Edited by zookeeperz

I was very active on ebay many moons ago,so was Rob...he skunkded me on several purchases,With over 260,000 of post decimal crap I tend to keep it under my my browse.Although I got a smashing Bury penny on Sunday.:D...yet to arrive.

The plus side of ebay is there are coins of all denominations ,grades and varieties to suit everyone and there budget.It also gives us the opportunity to have a look at different coins for sale 24 hours a day a lot of which dealers would not bother putting on lists such as the cheaper ones that thousands of people are happy to purchase everyday.I have a look often and sometimes i spot something sometimes i dont , but i dont have to move out of the flat to have a look .It was exactly the same when i was always in Spain as apart from one shop in Gibraltar there was knowere else to have a look at them.Yes there is a lot of RANG and pictures can be deceiving , we probably factor that into how much we are prepared to pay.

More often than not the best coins of a decent grade and condition are from dealers you can trust IMO and for that reason i am happy to pay a BIT more :)

Anyone got any ideas on the two 1880's I put up with missing sea and the extra bit on the '0'?

I can't find anything like them anywhere.

Funny, isn't it- one on it's own is just a curio. If ten turn up, everyone starts looking for the eleventh one,

and the price rises. Unless, like the first 1863  5 below date, it's been looked for......

19 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Thanks Mike- it was, up till then, the most I had ever spent on some pennies, and I worried for days

that I was wrong and going to be sleeping in the shed......

Your obviously not a serious collector, most of us are already in the SHED !!!!!  :(:D

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Funny, isn't it- one on it's own is just a curio.

Spot on. But when a second one appears, the hunt is on !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Your obviously not a serious collector, most of us are already in the SHED !!!!!  :(:D

HAHAHA!!  If only I could press 'Like this' more than once.........!!!

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Spot on. But when a second one appears, the hunt is on !!!!!!!!!!!!!

That does seem how it is- human nature.

(Yes, yes, I know, 'Are coin collectors human?'.....)

44 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

(Yes, yes, I know, 'Are coin collectors human?'.....)

or are we dancers ????

• Like 1

One of my favourite customers recorded and co-Produced that.

Now he has a mansion in Beverly Hills.......!!.....

4 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

I was going to say, How does he know it might be 1934? Then I saw the obverse - it's 1927!!!

If the starting price was a bit more realistic it would easily sell. It's only a laminated flan due to rolling the sheet too cold and trapping air as an inclusion in the metal, but a perfectly good example of the fault.

e.g. here's a threepence. The dark area was the inclusion, but with this obviously taking up most of the flan rendered the remaining intact area insufficient to hold the blank together.

c1656 1964 3d split flan.jpg

Something I've noticed as a feature exclusively common to reverse F, is that on otherwise fine or even good fine specimens, Britannia seems to have worn away far more than other areas of the coin, which leads to that characteristic flat look, extending downward into the centre of the shield, rather than the shield being individually affected. 

My own F32, which I'd otherwise describe as GF, is a prime example. Just wondered if anybody had any thoughts as to why. It does seem to be a pattern of wear unique to reverse F.

freeman 32 rev.jpg

Freeman 32 obv.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence

15 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Something I've noticed as a feature exclusively common to reverse F, is that on otherwise fine or even good fine specimens, Britannia seems to have worn away far more than other areas of the coin, which leads to that characteristic flat look, extending downward into the centre of the shield, rather than the shield being individually affected. 

My own F32, which I'd otherwise describe as GF, is a prime example. Just wondered if anybody had any thoughts as to why. It does seem to be a pattern of wear unique to reverse F.

freeman 32 rev.jpg

Freeman 32 obv.jpg

I can’t say I had thought about it before, but you may well be right, here is my F32. Presumably the shield is shallower, compared to Britannia, and is a little better protected than other reverses? Except perhaps the beaded, which have a rather similar wear pattern. Possibly.

Jerry

• Like 1

1861 f32 rev.jpg

8 minutes ago, jelida said:

1861 f32 rev.jpg

Yes, yours shows the same pattern as mine. With that level of wear on Britannia, you'd reasonably expect commensurate wear of and quite possibly rubbing of the lettering. But that's not the case.  

Many examples of one of the two known die pairings of F32 occur with flans that become slightly concave/convex after striking. This is probably the reason that this die design was not adopted again. This is the cause of more wear to the centre of the reverse.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Many examples of one of the two known die pairings of F32 occur with flans that become slightly concave/convex after striking. This is probably the reason that this die design was not adopted again. This is the cause of more wear to the centre of the reverse.

Thanks Bernie, that is a very useful and relevant insight!

Jerry

1861obverseF26-horz.jpg