British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

2 hours ago, Peckris said:

1926ME penny obv rev.jpg

Given to me as a schoolboy in 1968 - in change, from a bus conductor! I'd only just started collecting, and I didn't have any 1926. It was many months before I realised (oh happy day) that it was an ME. :) 

Blakey - one very similar to yours (but with an attractive green patina) went for over £300 at Warwick & Warwick, back in 2001.

Oh wow- you must have gone mad, and everyone would have tried to understand why you were acting like a spaniel!!!

Here're a few of my recent finds- all dirt cheap, and more pacing up and down.

I don't have pics to hand of my 1862 halfpenny in Fine- I bought a tin of halfpennies and farthings, under two quid, and had

to hand that coin to my wife, with palsied hand, to tell me what she could see through the magnifying glass

next to the lighthouse---"Oh, it's a little 'B' " she said, thus confirming that I wasn't seeing things......

That paid for a chunk of our holiday.....

First up, 1870 dot. Left loads on it, no-one saw it properly, £20 ish.

P1030183.jpeg

P1030184.jpeg

• Like 1

Next up, 1874 F69.- odd-with three others, fuzzy picture.

looked at 4 in the morning- clear picture!!

Left big bid.

rest of week, fuzzy picture- Ebay having bandwidth problems?

£16 for the four pennies. :)

P1030185.jpeg

P1030186.jpeg

• Like 1

1874 7 over 7- don't even remember getting this....

P1030187.jpeg

P1030188.jpeg

P1030190.jpeg

• Like 1

1875 Cannonball- less than £30, I think....!

P1030191.jpeg

P1030192.jpeg

• Like 1

1880 missing sea and rocks by ship...blocked die?

Been seen before?

P1030193.jpeg

P1030194.jpeg

P1030195.jpeg

• Like 1

1880 remains of high'0' above '0'...

New one?

P1030196.jpeg

P1030202.jpeg

Pitted 1897 Dot- a £2 pile...

P1030200.jpeg

P1030199.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow, nice selection, how did they creep by!

Jerry

• Like 1

Just now, jelida said:

Wow, nice selection, how did they creep by!

Jerry

Well, I guess that no-one "helpfully" informed the seller of what they had. ;)

No, but they might have told me 🤫! 

It just goes to show that no matter how observant one tries to be, there is so much material that no-one spots everything.

I will try and post my recent EBay finds in the next couple of weeks, including a new erroneous 1861 letter die repair I think.

Jerry

This week's big spend - £2.95 BIN plus £1.50 postage. I know condition is crap but am I right in thinking F7 - raised lines on shield, rock to left of lighthouse

seller's picture

freeman7.jpg

• Like 1

Yup, looks right.

37 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

1875 Cannonball- less than £30, I think....!

Blakey

I've added this and your 1874H 7 over 7 to my rarest penny website - hope you don't mind. Let me know if you'd like the pictures to be attributed to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Oh wow- you must have gone mad, and everyone would have tried to understand why you were acting like a spaniel!!!

True! In the meantime I'd found probably 3 1946 ONE' flaws, with virtually no excitement whatever - yet Gouby rates them rarer than the 26ME.. (Mind you, they weren't listed anywhere except Peck as a footnote; certainly not in Seaby's.)

you wouldn't believe the amount of unlisted coins that are still to be scooped up. A lot of them are slabbed along with lots of misattributed varieties which is understandable to a point as I guess the US TPG's go by Spink and krause for the most part unless someone has explicitly sent a coin in with provenance and the right variety is designated. I think it is always well worth looking at every coin even though tedious at times it will eventually reward you just when you least expect it to. Even nicer when it is hidden in a sellers shop with a BIN next to it :)

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Well, I guess that no-one "helpfully" informed the seller of what they had. ;)

To be fair, I only do that when the price has already gone through the roof, and the seller is all at sea....!

1 minute ago, blakeyboy said:

To be fair, I only do that when the price has already gone through the roof, and the seller is all at sea....!

You couldn't know the seller was "all at sea" until you contacted them. If they had decided the pull the listing and send to e.g. LCA for auction, Jerry would have lost out on a nice bargain. If the same happened to something you had your eye on, would you be happy? :mellow:

Well, looking at all his others, what he'd sold in the past, made me realise his position.

I also recognised that because I'd been there before.

I have a friend who can't keep his mouth shut when I'm doing a deal on something really cheap, and ruins everything.

I've been there too.

You probably feel that I spoiled a bargain for someone, but the penny had already rocketed, and it's the only time in the last five years I've helped someone out like this. Those who were going to bid, bid, and someone won, and, you are forgetting that my main advice was to let the auction run, so I rather sided with your view........

I've had loads of auctions pulled that I was top bidder on, knowing that my bid was probably higher than what the seller took,

and it's annoying, and this was my primary reason for contacting the seller, and it worked!!!!

You have probably gathered by now that I buy lots of things that are way more valuable than pennies for a living,

so I know how it goes......

Don't lose sleep over it.

It's not that important, if you think about it....

B

Just now, blakeyboy said:

You probably feel that I spoiled a bargain for someone

No, I think you could have.

Hmm...not after it had clearly been spotted for what it was, by virtue of the price.......QED

20 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

An interesting question to ask is why did the penny sell for less than half what It would go for at auction?

What forces are at work that makes the Ebay coin seem less worthy?

Is this true of all coins on Ebay compared to say, LCA?

Maybe because it wasn't flagged as an ME by the vendor, and only some bidders realised what it was. Of them, perhaps not all were 100% sure and so gave up more easily when the price started going up.  

ETA: Yes it does seem to be true of most high end coins on e bay. They usually go for a lot less than at a standard auction. For example, I got my 1895 2mm in a/UNC for just £231 in 2012.  

As for the forces at work, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe standard auctions such as LCA, dnw, Spink etc, attract a wealthier and more international clientele. Not saying that is necessarily the prime reason, but it may be one reason. 

Edited by 1949threepence

5 hours ago, davidrj said:

This week's big spend - £2.95 BIN plus £1.50 postage. I know condition is crap but am I right in thinking F7 - raised lines on shield, rock to left of lighthouse

seller's picture

freeman7.jpg

Definitely F7 - sea reaches linear circle to left of lighthouse. Making it reverse C. 

9 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Here's the one I got off Ebay in a £300 pile of pennies a few years back..

P1030180.jpeg

P1030178.jpeg

Well done you !!!

Thanks Mike- it was, up till then, the most I had ever spent on some pennies, and I worried for days

that I was wrong and going to be sleeping in the shed......

• Like 2