British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

4 hours ago, Liam said:

In terms of rarity, is it a case of the 1934 missing waves appearing to be rarer than other dates (hence the inclusion on Richards site), or are all of these missing waves pennies from all dates thought to be rare? 

I have seen quite a few like the 1929 and the 1931. I ignore them as with the 1934 I had all the waves were missing including the rollers against britannia's shield Same as the 1934 pictured above. Once you set a benchmark anything less that identical just can't hold up and I feel would be ignored . Or described them as part missing waves. I would like to find one with the right hand side missing :)

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Bernie Weightman

My mate Bernie Workman will be most upset !!!!!

10 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Oops! Senile moment

42 minutes ago, secret santa said:

42 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Not at all !

Weightman I would consider, but not Alfred Ernest !

34 minutes ago, davidrj said:

Oops! Senile moment

I thought it might have been that infernal predictive text on your phone or tablet, David. I've turned mine off now, it's so damned irritating.  

Interesting, CGS 78! I had coins returned for lesser sins 8-10 years ago.

IMG_3677.PNG

10 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Is it not just dirt or something on it ?.

Possibly, but aesthetically unpleasant, which has rejected many a coin in the early days!

I've only been looking at the 97s because I sniped a £28 1897 penny off eBay the other day as part of my new exploration into Victorian coinage. Just a little play, but it could get serious, you never know! :)

I suppose its better than them taking it off and then rejecting it for cleaning :D

Its like an auction company they wont touch the coin just list it as it is.

They may of thought although it doesnt look nice there is nothing causing any damage so value £50 grade unc and job done.

I wouldnt buy it and wouldnt of sent it in but someone elses coin ....so long as they are happy thats all that matters.

Edited by PWA 1967

19 minutes ago, Coinery said:

I've only been looking at the 97s because I sniped a £28 1897 penny off eBay the other day as part of my new exploration into Victorian coinage. Just a little play, but it could get serious, you never know! :)

Nice thing about the 1897 Stu is theres a few different ones so may end up seeing a scarce one ;)

Although the one you bought £28.50 was off a forum member and he wouldnt miss anything as really knows his pennies 

Edited by PWA 1967

On 4/28/2015 at 3:17 PM, jelida said:

Sadly the £3 possible 'open 3' 1863 on Ebay turned out to be just another photo illusion, however here is one that I got for a fiver at the last midland coin fair.

Just how common is this type ? Is it simply a case of them not previously being recognized, but being fairly plentiful in reality? Or are they truly as scarce as LCA prices might suggest? I have found two over the past 4 months, a 2 Euro one on Ebay and the one above, neither better than VG condition, but I hold out hopes of one in fine or better eventually. Have the other penny buffs on this forum come across them?

Jerry

1863 penny 4 open 3 obv.jpg

1863 penny 4 open 3 rev.jpg

i wonder about lca as well

32 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Nice thing about the 1897 Stu is theres a few different ones so may end up seeing a scarce one ;)

Although the one you bought £28.50 was off a forum member and he wouldnt miss anything as really knows his pennies 

A couple of scratches in the field but, for the money spent, I'm rather pleased with it to be honest! 

Happy days, Pete! :)

Righto then, who's going to tell me what on earth went on here? :o

1964.jpg

• Like 3

Is there any damage or marks on the other side?

2 hours ago, IanB said:

Is there any damage or marks on the other side?

I don't know unfortunately Ian. It's not mine and I've only seen the one side.

Edit: Normal.

1964 (2).jpg

Edited by mrbadexample

3 hours ago, Coinery said:

Interesting, CGS 78! I had coins returned for lesser sins 8-10 years ago.

IMG_3677.PNG

Is that a die clash to the right of the left knee Or do I spy part of a crown design?

My head is not right Zoo......but your going to send me beserk,what you looking at :lol:

Maybe i am going really bonkers as just gone into a bit of a trance staring at it :wacko:

7 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I don't know unfortunately Ian. It's not mine and I've only seen the one side.

Edit: Normal.

It's  only a guess but a trapped air bubble followed by a  delamination. Where's Nordle11 when you need him, this is right up his street.

4 hours ago, IanB said:

It's  only a guess but a trapped air bubble followed by a  delamination. Where's Nordle11 when you need him, this is right up his street.

That doesn't explain the top of the Queen's head and some of the edge lettering present within the hole though.

3 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

That doesn't explain the top of the Queen's head and some of the edge lettering present within the hole though.

Fair point.

Another possibility could be that something fell onto the die and was sandwiched between the die and the planchet. The stamping process took place and the coin was then ejected into the next step.

The piece of something either remained on the die or fell out the coin leaving the recess. We would see the imprint of the head and lettering through the recess.

• Like 2

I think its possibly a lamination error showing the coin struck through from the obverse due to the weaker flan........Not my theory just asked someone ;)

Although looking again that doesnt make sense as the head is lower :D

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Although looking again that doesnt make sense as the head is lower :D

That's the thing, isn't it? It's all in the wrong place. Think Ian's suggestion is a good candidate.

5 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

That's the thing, isn't it? It's all in the wrong place. Think Ian's suggestion is a good candidate.

We will just call it a RT error Jon as i dont have a clue :)

16 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Righto then, who's going to tell me what on earth went on here? :o

1964.jpg

I have no idea how it's happened but I like it!