British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

2 hours ago, alfnail said:

What do guys think cannon ball ? 

It's on the 1875 wide date Penny

1875cannonball.jpg

16 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

What do guys think cannon ball ? 

It's on the 1875 wide date Penny

1875cannonball.jpg

Could there be more than 1 type though? 

With dots that size there could be hundreds :)

Maybe see if you can find another in the same place.

4 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

With dots that size there could be hundreds :)

Maybe see if you can find another in the same place.

Don't I feel such a fool now I actually saw the size of the cannon ball on the normal coin. Perhaps they were mini cannons lols :)

2 hours ago, alfnail said:

Maybe it's simply because it's a very nice coin, albeit not rare. For reference I was actually the successful bidder on a slabbed MS65 F82 on 31st December 2014, and won at £314.00. It was the one from the Alderley collection, and is definitely ball less, as it were.  

21 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Our friend Lukasz has put an E over P on Ebay but it's a beaded border penny, i.e. unrecorded. Do I smell a rat or is this an exciting new find ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victoria-Penny-1860-E-Over-P-Variety-Very-RARE/332425153468?hash=item4d66154bbc:g:WdsAAOSwT2dZ8E9b

It looks to me like its the result of two tiny dents , raising the metal up slightly between them, giving the impression that the two ends of the E are joined.

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

Our friend Lukasz has put an E over P on Ebay but it's a beaded border penny, i.e. unrecorded. Do I smell a rat or is this an exciting new find ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victoria-Penny-1860-E-Over-P-Variety-Very-RARE/332425153468?hash=item4d66154bbc:g:WdsAAOSwT2dZ8E9b

Interesting. One of those coins you'd want to see in hand before saying anything like definitive.  

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Interesting. One of those coins you'd want to see in hand before saying anything like definitive.  

Yes, but for a quid it is probably worth finding out.

7 hours ago, Rob said:

Yes, but for a quid it is probably worth finding out.

That's what I was thinking.

On 10/7/2017 at 7:29 AM, alfnail said:

Wonder whether, at that price, someone thought this was a weak 1875 canon ball:-

I thought the same about this one. The dot, although very weak (and if it is even a dot), does seem to be in exactly the right place. If it's a result of die degradation, it probably starts small, right? 

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

I thought the same about this one. The dot, although very weak (and if it is even a dot), does seem to be in exactly the right place. If it's a result of die degradation, it probably starts small, right? 

Could well be.

49 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Hi all,

Was having a browse through the rarest pennies site and came across the 1934 missing waves: https://rarestpennies.wordpress.com/1934-missing-waves/

Would you say this is one? 

Liam

Could put the obverse up as well or PM me a photo and I'll add it to the website although they're coming out of the woodwork so fast that it may prove to be not so rare as I thought.

Richard

Hi Richard

Yes of course, I'll PM you some pics tomorrow. Great site by the way! 

Would the missing waves be caused by die fill?

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Would the missing waves be caused by die fill?

Definitely die fill in my view, I don’t have a 1934, but I have very similar from both 1929 and 1931

17 hours ago, davidrj said:

Definitely die fill in my view, I don’t have a 1934, but I have very similar from both 1929 and 1931

1929 penny, missing waves and normal

1929 types (1).jpg

• Like 1

and 1931

BP 1931 AA 1.JPG

• Like 1

In terms of rarity, is it a case of the 1934 missing waves appearing to be rarer than other dates (hence the inclusion on Richards site), or are all of these missing waves pennies from all dates thought to be rare? 

I believe that they are probably scarce rather than rare. The more we discuss them, the more people will check their own coins and the more will emerge from the woodwork. That's been true of the 1863 open 3, the 1903 open 3 and the 1911 hollow neck.

I think this flaw due to die fill occurs on a variety of years if folk look out for them. The 1934 missing waves is no different, but has the kudos of an example being in the Bernie Weightman sale. So they are of interest to those who collect die clogs etc, but I certainly do not think it has any place in a gallery of rare varieties.

Edited by davidrj

13 minutes ago, davidrj said:

I think this flaw due to die fill occurs on a variety of years if folk look out for them. The 1934 missing waves is no different, but has the kudos of an example being in the Bernie Weightman sale. So they are of interest to those who collect die clogs etc, but I certainly do not think it has any place in a gallery of rare varieties.

It was touted as between £50 and £55, but went for £500 !!!

Here it is:-

2-100+1%20a.jpg