British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Its going to stick out like a sore thumb now. a coin in that condition over a tenner .the views will go through the roof .

rares don't always get noticed though, bagged a few for peanuts in the past.

12 minutes ago, scott said:

True, I have had some cracking buys like the 1897 HT with good lustre for a tenner! I tend to put in a tentative bid to get it to the top of the list, then snipe a realistic bid late, though it will be less than Declan has for his on EBay at present for this coin.  With a real rarity that I really want,  I may bid high at the start, to discourage some one else becoming 'high bidder' and starting off EBay negotiations. The 1875 cannonball that I won last month for 99p also had a late snipe well into three figures, but clearly no one else spotted it. One thing is for sure, posting every rarity here prior to sale may help the seller but would remove any chance of a bargain.

Bernie, as some here know, if I really want a coin I have no issues with paying dealer prices, and more. But a bargain is always nice.

Post them after the auction has ended, and they are safely in the mail, for the reasons already discussed on this forum.

Jerry

26 minutes ago, scott said:

lower grade ones can easily be ignored , I  have picked up a couple myself in the past .

2 hours ago, jelida said:

Yes, and I had already put the first bid on it the day it was posted. Talk about a spoiler!

Jerry

OOps sorry lads I thought most of you would have one, but I must say when a bid is placed so early on, it attracts attention anyway.

14 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

OOps sorry lads I thought most of you would have one, but I must say when a bid is placed so early on, it attracts attention anyway.

Especially if low grade and otherwise seemingly quite common.

18 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

I havn't got one yet .but I'm in no hurry .will let this one pass ....probably.

It's a wonderful demonstration of the flexibility of the English language. Nice coin? There has to be a lot better than that out there, and at a reasonable price. I bet there is a couple slabbed MS something.

2 hours ago, mick1271 said:

lower grade ones can easily be ignored , I  have picked up a couple myself in the past .

yea, but my favourate was 1879 penny.... 2 types, i got for 99p.. granted very worn.. but it was clear it was both 1879 wide and Narrow in the pictures :D

7 hours ago, Rob said:

It's a wonderful demonstration of the flexibility of the English language. Nice coin? There has to be a lot better than that out there, and at a reasonable price. I bet there is a couple slabbed MS something.

In fact very few high grade examples have thus been recognised, see Richards 'rarest pennies' site. But I agree not that unusual in this grade, usually one or two on the market somewhere.

Slightly off track but leaving high bids at anytime upto the last day is perhaps not the best idea.

It is too easy to find out exactly what the bid you made is by either the seller or someone else interested.

Much easier to get one cheap looking at new listings not attributed and BIN :)

Edited by PWA 1967

depends, leaving high bids doesn't always shoot up, only shoots up when you get a few high bids

31 minutes ago, scott said:

depends, leaving high bids doesn't always shoot up, only shoots up when you get a few high bids

Yep your right Scott but a high bid can be shilled up and if a variety spotted people will bid really high and retract the bid to find out what its at :angry:

21 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

My original entry was bidding to discourage the seller from pulling the coin and selling it to someone making an offer. I have noticed that this happens a lot. I won't make a habit of identifying rarer coins on ebay, but this was a one off as an example of the type of coins that get pulled from auctions and possible ways of stopping this happening. I don't generally bid on coins that I have an example of in my collection, but do go for the "Buy it now" when they are a bargain !

As some of you have mentioned that you have managed to buy rarities that have been little recognised, I will not bid on any auction coins that I don't require for my collection, but as I have said before, I advise you to make a bid within the first days of an auction to show your interest.

Guest Corbyn

The auction must have ended so could you let us have a look at the rarity please?

?

Haven't seen it Pete. Is it in the August Coin News?

8 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Haven't seen it Pete. Is it in the August Coin News?

Yes Mike i have sent you an email :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

HAT OFF... Richard for the interesting article in coin news :)

Thank you kind sir - interesting that they found a coloured photo of the toothless border reverse - the one I supplied was only black & white.

Interesting piece listed on ebay as a BIN, an 1874 Heaton penny displaying similar 'cock's comb' to the legendary 1862. Freeman 66, so same reverse as the 1862, but H. Think were described as flaws in the Colin Cooke 'Crocker' sale, can't see that it could be ghosting in that area, so seems coincidental similar flaw on last year of the Freeman G (Gouby g) reverse.......unless anyone has different ideas. Anyway, don't think I have seen this on any other piece 1863-1874.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1874H-Bronze-Penny-Victoria-Extra-Plumes-Higher-Grade-Similar-to-1862/401381843809?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Interesting indeed although the extra plumes are in a different place from the 1862 variety.

The power of the forum soon sold after being put on here :)

Will be interesting to see if the flaw shows on any others of the same F66 1874H as that was a decent grade.