British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Not sure why you put F763 at the end of your post. Is it because your coin is F763 ?

7 hours ago, secret santa said:

Not sure why you put F763 at the end of your post. Is it because your coin is F763 ?

Freeman reference.

• Like 1

I am fairly well aware of Freeman numbers. It's just that having told the poster that a particular penny with inverted reverse was an F762, he signed off with his name and F763 and I wasn't sure why.

My 1841 Penny has a colon after BRITANNIAR much lower than I recall seeing on other examples of this date.  Does anyone have, or recall seeing any other examples?  Is it a variety or one covered by Bramah's 2b type (Irregular Punctuation) perhaps?

There is 'graffiti' scratched onto both sides of the coin that I'm unable to make out. I see R ?? R under BRITANNIAR and that's about my limit.  Will attach other shots to show.

Cliff 

1841 Colons BRIT Colon.jpg

One of my spares has a low colon although maybe not as low as yours.

1841 P1484 no colon [1] rev - Copy.JPG

I remember when Radio 2 had a phone in about sexuality.A chap phoned in and said he was gay but mentioned he had a very small penis.BBC didn't even pick up when he said his name was Justin Sidebottom. I nearly crashed my car.:D

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I remember when Radio 2 had a phone in about sexuality.A chap phoned in and said he was gay but mentioned he had a very small penis.BBC didn't even pick up when he said his name was Justin Sidebottom. I nearly crashed my car.:D

Brilliant - I nearly spat my tea over the screen. Needed that laugh after a totally humourless day. Cheers Peter :lol:  

Guest Corbyn
On 16/05/2017 at 5:28 PM, Peter said:

:lol:

There is a uncommon penny in the ebay.uk auction site. I have placed a bid on it hoping that it won't get pulled. Nearly every time a rare coin appears on ebay it gets withdrawn. The possible reason for this could be that the coin appears to have little interest because of bidders habits of not bidding to the last minute. I suspect that the sellers get offers to buy before the auction ends. I have no intention of winning the coin that I mention but hope that collectors wishing to own the coin for their collection get a fair crack at it. The expectation of hoping that know one else will recognise the rarer coins is ridiculous, so my advice is to believe that many people will immediately recognise the variety and place a bid, even if a low bid, just to show your interest.

1901 narrow date penny 10.5 tooth. Gouby Aa  he didn't even have a picture to show in his book.  I picked one up last week after looking for about a year, unfortunately its only about VG, but at least I do now have one.  Its obviously rare, but just how rare, do any of you know as it never seems to come up on here ?     Terry

37 minutes ago, Bernie said:

There is a uncommon penny in the ebay.uk auction site. I have placed a bid on it hoping that it won't get pulled. Nearly every time a rare coin appears on ebay it gets withdrawn. The possible reason for this could be that the coin appears to have little interest because of bidders habits of not bidding to the last minute. I suspect that the sellers get offers to buy before the auction ends. I have no intention of winning the coin that I mention but hope that collectors wishing to own the coin for their collection get a fair crack at it. The expectation of hoping that know one else will recognise the rarer coins is ridiculous, so my advice is to believe that many people will immediately recognise the variety and place a bid, even if a low bid, just to show your interest.

A hint would be nice Bernie .there is a few on there lol

1 hour ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Thanks Terry , I had a quick glance for open 3,s 1903 and hollow neck 1911's ,but missed that one .

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

No,not that one.

A date or even a reign for a hint would be nice . I cant see any other 1911 hollow necks with a bid , unless it is in a multiple lot.

8 minutes ago, scott said:

yea and now everyone bids on it :(

Yes, and I had already put the first bid on it the day it was posted. Talk about a spoiler!

Jerry

4 minutes ago, jelida said:

Yes, and I had already put the first bid on it the day it was posted. Talk about a spoiler!

Jerry

Hello Jerry,

I don't know which coin you are referring to, but as I said, any rarity that appears on ebay is almost certainly going to be recognised by all other variety collectors. When bids arrive in the last 5 seconds bidders that putting their wishes on others missing it, are in most instances disappointed. You stand a much better chance of winning coins if you bid what you would pay a dealer for the coin.

I stuck the 2nd bid ,so it appears on my main page .didn't last long lol