British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

I have a lustrous Unc example - it was mentioned in John Jerrams' book on the Bun Penny (top of page 20) as a 2 over 2 much as Rob describes.

1862 F39 2 over 2 zoom.JPG

Yes, I should have remembered that. Here is the extract:-

jerrams page 20.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the picture Richard, might have guessed you would have one!

I had previously thought that the Jerrams comment was referencing the type which I have pictured below, a currency piece which I have now sold. Interestingly this type with underlying 2 was also sold as a proof example at London Coins last March; the link below.

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&auc=152&searchlot=2390&searchtype=2

If John had sketched an image in his book, like he has for other over-date examples, then we would know which of these two types he was referencing.

1862 2 over underlying 2.jpg

On 3/9/2017 at 11:37 PM, 1949threepence said:

Actually, on that 1867 you mention, Pete, quite apart from the obvious tonnage inscription, there is also an odd feature on the reverse. It's a straight bar, rising at a 45 degree angle between the base of the lighthouse and Britannia's shield.

link

Still curious to know about this angled bar. Or is it two parallel lines which give an optical illusion of a raised surface area. Anybody got thoughts on it?

bar on 1867.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence

Can you overlay it with the obverse?

16 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Can you overlay it with the obverse?

Unfortunately, I don't have the facilty on this machine, to do that.

I don't think it would make any difference because there is no matching feature at this angle on the obverse.

7 minutes ago, Rob said:

I don't think it would make any difference because there is no matching feature at this angle on the obverse.

Yes, as far as I can tell, it's just plain field.

16 hours ago, alfnail said:

Thanks for the picture Richard, might have guessed you would have one!

I had previously thought that the Jerrams comment was referencing the type which I have pictured below, a currency piece which I have now sold. Interestingly this type with underlying 2 was also sold as a proof example at London Coins last March; the link below.

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&auc=152&searchlot=2390&searchtype=2

If John had sketched an image in his book, like he has for other over-date examples, then we would know which of these two types he was referencing.

1862 2 over underlying 2.jpg

This is the one described in the Satin brochure Ian :)

40 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

This is the one described in the Satin brochure Ian

Pete, may I enquire as to how you are so sure ? John's description doesn't seem very precise.

1 minute ago, secret santa said:

Pete, may I enquire as to how you are so sure ? John's description doesn't seem very precise.

I asked him this morning and sent the pictures :)

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I asked him this morning and sent the pictures :)

Terrific - thanks - v useful info.

19 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Thanks for clarifying this Pete, much appreciated.

I see that the one which was on ebay on a BIN for £60 sold earlier today, perhaps to someone reading this thread :ph34r:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GB-Queen-Victoria-bronze-penny-1862-/162438645295?

Probably ......The power of the forum :)

Hundreds read without posting :ph34r: :lol:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Probably ......The power of the forum :)

Hundreds read without posting :ph34r: :lol:

Indeed. You only have to click "online users", at the top of the page, to realise that. 

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:44 PM, 1949threepence said:

Another interesting one. Here the H is to the left and in contact with the linear circle, so it's top most part is practically underneath the 8.

H under date 1881.jpg

Do you know how they described this H to the left Mike?  Yes, the H to the right is mine.  

Edited by Cliff
Removed duplicated pics

Don't know why 1881H posting has reappeared!?  Tried to edit out but no go.  Probably should do more posting to keep my skills up!

Some coppers i have not posted before that are quite scarce.

1841 Bramah 2a flaw to 4  1843 No colon   1855 Extra colon after FID.

2.png

• Like 2

Bit small those Pete, I can't see the detail. :(

15 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Bit small those Pete, I can't see the detail. :(

If you type in your keyboard enlarge picture in BLOCK CAPITALS and click on the picture it makes it bigger for you Jon.

19 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

If you type in your keyboard enlarge picture in BLOCK CAPITALS and click on the picture it makes it bigger for you Jon.

:rolleyes:

Although I can no longer see the CGS population report, as I have not paid a fee, I believe the 1855 variety with the 3 dots has been documented by them as their variety PE.V1.1855.03, and described along the lines of “a raised dot giving the appearance of a 3rd colon dot after FID”.

I attach a close up picture of one of my own pieces for reference. Unlike some dots which we see on Victorian pennies which are clearly unintentional, and result from flaws or specks of dirt getting into the strike, I think that the top dot near the rim on this 1855 is most likely an intentional repair to the weaker ‘clogged’ half-dot seen immediately below.….but a repair done rather badly. This would not be unreasonable as several other examples of repaired / re-struck colon dots are seen in this series. I prefer to think of features which are created by a person, either intentionally or unintentionally to be regarded as true varieties rather than random dots which are not man made. I realise that this will no convince those with an 1897 dot or 1875 canon ball penny!  :P 

1855 FID 3 Colons Close Up.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, alfnail said:

I prefer to think of features which are created by a "person"

Very politically correct Ian - excellent ! 

On 3/22/2017 at 8:39 PM, Cliff said:

Pics as promised.

1862 2 0ver 2 Obv 2.jpg

1862 2 over 2 date.jpg

1862 2 over 2 Rev 2.jpg

• Like 1