British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Yes the 1932 a lot harder and at that grade must be really nice and a good buy :)

1 minute ago, Guest Parma said:

Anyone want to guess what this F103 would fetch? My guess - £2400 :ph34r:

Not sure but that's one ugly looking coin, even if it is rare.

Pictures from VS of his 1932

1.png

2.png

3.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guest Parma said:

Anyone want to guess what this F103 would fetch? My guess - £2400 :ph34r:

I'd guess somewhere in that ballpark as well. But I agree with Matt, it looks terrible. Whoever buys it, it'll be for the rarity value only.

1041049.jpg

1872 wider date and clear design crossing to near the teeth

1041045.jpg

1897 with die cracks on the O

1041047.jpg

all new from the past month or so

Not the best of pieces but looks like there is a protrusion above the H on this Gouby 1882La (R + p) penny. Anyone seen this on their own higher grade example / have any idea what it may be? Don't think I'm imagining!

1882La (R + p) Bit above H.jpg

• Like 1

Ian , I came across this in my library of old pics , its not very high resolution , but it looks the same as yours.   Terry 

1882H   with H over H.JPG

• Like 3

I would say it is part of an H where the RH vertical would pass down the immediate right of the current H

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I would say it is part of an H where the RH vertical would pass down the immediate right of the current H

In the sense that with most of the 1881H's, the H was not dead centre between the two 8's, but distinctly to the left, nearer the first 8? Could it be a recut die?

Thanks for the replies, Terry's 'second' piece seems to confirm that the protrusion was introduced at minting. The H's on 1882's and 1881's seem to be found in many slightly different locations, and also varying sizes. Below is an example of a smaller, much lower, and also repaired H on the common 1882 variety. I guess it's not inconceivable that the protrusion on the La was from an earlier underneath H, although it does seem to be very high and quite a 'miss' from the intended spot. Does anyone have an example of a complete 'high' H where the top is level with half way up the bottom loops of the 8's? 

1882Na (R + r) H Repair.jpg

On 1/28/2017 at 5:23 PM, Bernie said:

Surplus post to negate the above, which I can't otherwise get rid of.

32 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Thanks for the replies, Terry's 'second' piece seems to confirm that the protrusion was introduced at minting. The H's on 1882's and 1881's seem to be found in many slightly different locations, and also varying sizes. Below is an example of a smaller, much lower, and also repaired H on the common 1882 variety. I guess it's not inconceivable that the protrusion on the La was from an earlier underneath H, although it does seem to be very high and quite a 'miss' from the intended spot. Does anyone have an example of a complete 'high' H where the top is level with half way up the bottom loops of the 8's? 

I found this one in an old LCA auction. The H is otherwise quite well centred.  

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, think that's the highest complete H I have seen, certainly higher than the examples on Gouby Page 77.

28 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Thanks Mike, think that's the highest complete H I have seen, certainly higher than the examples on Gouby Page 77.

No problem, Ian. Yes, it's palpably higher than his Hb example on that page.

Sorry about previous duplication, couldn't find a way to get rid!  Please see attached (once I hope!) for you consideration.  Gouby Ha says the H is "very close to the linear circle".  Attached example disappears into the LC, whilst top of H is "virtually in line with the base of the numerals".1881Ha F108 H Central Rev.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures Cliff. Attached is a reference picture of the 1881H (P + p) where, as Mike mentioned, the H is distinctly to the left rather than dead centre between the 8's. I think our conversations, and pictures, over the past 24 hours have given us an 1881Hc, Hd and He to add to the Ha and Hb on Gouby Page 77.........expect there will be even more :ph34r: 

1881Hx (P + p).jpg

Does this H to second 8 rate an additional Gouby H reference Ian, can't see it documented anywhere?

1881Hb F108c H right of centre Date.jpg

• Like 2

Yet another variation thanks Cliff, and I think more unusual to be over to the RHS touching the second 8. I probably ought to go through all my previous sales pictures to see if I can spot some more H locations on the 1881's. I did that for the 1882La's I have ever sold, to see if I could find anymore of type with the protrusion at the top left of the H, but couldn't find a single one out of the 6 I have owned but now sold on. 

P.S. You haven't cracked the duplicate picture posting yet :D

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

Does this H to second 8 rate an additional Gouby H reference Ian, can't see it documented anywhere?

Never seen one like that before ! Is it yours?

Edited by 1949threepence
Added a bit.

Another interesting one. Here the H is to the left and in contact with the linear circle, so it's top most part is practically underneath the 8.

H under date 1881.jpg