British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

The catalogue images are pixellated black and white, so no better than what you have. The cover might be more informative however.

img180.jpg

That is brilliant Rob, I must look out for a copy of the auction catalogue.

Looking at CCGB 2016 about the 1954 penny it states that one was found in change and is now in the BM, and another was sold by Rasmussen for £37,500 in 2006. So it may be that the Empire 1963 and Spink 1991 are different coins and that would explain the different toning. Don't know where Chris gets his info from so he might have some more. 

8 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

Looking at CCGB 2016 about the 1954 penny it states that one was found in change and is now in the BM, and another was sold by Rasmussen for £37,500 in 2006. So it may be that the Empire 1963 and Spink 1991 are different coins and that would explain the different toning. Don't know where Chris gets his info from so he might have some more. 

The picture of the 1954 in the Empire coins catalogue still shows the bruise across the trident , as with all the other pictures here , I think they must all be the same coin   Terry

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

Mike, Is the picture from the Empire coin company an actual photograph or a Scanned ? picture of some sort. If it was reproduced in 1963, the technology to copy from a photograph was very basic. The picture submitted by Secret Santa was a "Scan" of the coin. The actual coin has some residual subdued lustre. I have attached another picture from the front cover page of the 1992 coin news.

1954 penny coin news cover.jpg

I think it was an original photo reproduced on the flyer, Bernie.  

37 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

I think this has been put to bed now, there's only one 1954 (that we know of) and all pictures we've seen here are of the same coin, as evidenced by the scratch by the forehead, scratch across the trident and the dent by the E.

One of the things I find interesting is the basic orientation of the Royal Mint vis-a-vis this coin in comparison with the U.S. Treasury and their attitude toward the 20 Dollar gold piece of 1933. The RM could find no evidence of it being stolen so it must be OK, whereas the US has stated because there are no records of the gold piece being issued that it must be stolen - even though all weights and counts were correct at the time, and that there was technically a window that these could be exchanged for....

And how about the various VIP proofs such as the 1952 half crown where no records available as to how or circumstances of it leaving the mint.

What do readers think that the 1954 penny would make in an auction today; or the 1952 penny or the mentioned half crown??

Edited by VickySilver
  • Like 1

The 1954 and 1952 dont have the same clout as the 1933.

Also if a coin unique hard to compare and sometimes better if a couple are known but i think both would make about £60-70 K today so about £70K each  at a guess ?.

On 29/9/2016 at 11:40 AM, PWA 1967 said:

I would phone them...they didnt have one advertised when i bought my copy.

Its the .......The M. J .Freeman collection of victorian bronze coins.

Christies Tuesday 23 october 1984.

On 29/9/2016 at 11:48 AM, jacinbox said:

There was one on ebay not long back and it sold for £18.

Got a scanned copy from the Fitzwilliam Museum in the end. Will have to pick it up when I'm back in UK.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2016 at 1:13 PM, 1949threepence said:

If it's any help, Matt, the Fitzwilliam museum have all old auction catalogues, and the Christies auction of 23rd October 1984, is amongst them. Here's the link It's a bit antiquated as you have to scroll down under C to find Christies. That shows that they hold the catalogue for that auction, but it's not clear whether you are only able to view within the museum itself, or whether they would send you a copy for a fee.   

There is an e mail address you can make enquiries at.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

22 hours ago, Bernie said:

That is brilliant Rob, I must look out for a copy of the auction catalogue.

Bernie, it looks as though Matt was successful in obtaining a copy of the Christies auction from the Fitzwilliam, and it does appear they also hold copies of the 25th November 1991 auction. Might be worth a try.

1991: no 82, 27 Mar; no 83, 16 Apr; orders 20 May; no 84, 21 May; no 85, 23 Jul; no 86, 3 Oct; no 87, 9 Oct; no 88, 14 Oct; no 89, 25 Nov;

Edited by 1949threepence

Mike, Thank you for the information. I will look out for an original auction catalogue. It will give me something else to search for. No big deal if I don't find one.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2016 at 7:33 AM, Nordle11 said:

Got a scanned copy from the Fitzwilliam Museum in the end. Will have to pick it up when I'm back in UK.

Man wants it man gets it :)

• Like 1

On 23/08/2016 at 11:18 PM, secret santa said:

I've never seen a copy of "The Victorian Bronze Penny" - is it very different from the "Bronze Coinage of Great Britain" ?

It contains the raw numbers of each variety found (though obverses 2 and 3 in the book are swapped from the current book). Definitely worth getting a copy.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2016 at 7:33 AM, Nordle11 said:

Got one if you want a hard copy Matt.

Its Mint £25 plus postage ,you might get one cheaper but could be looking for ages.

I bought it with two Norweb catalogues i was missing and paid a bit over the odds :)

Not a problem if you dont want it.

Pete.

I'm alright, but thank you Pete. This copy they sent is pretty good and does the job :) 

27 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

I'm alright, but thank you Pete. This copy they sent is pretty good and does the job :) 

Know problem at all :)

As i have had a couple of enquiries and dont want to waste anyone elses time i have sold it to a forum member :)

Pete.

Thanks Pete, looks like Matt's loss is my gain, so thanks to Matt as well.

Jerry

On 10/16/2016 at 5:29 AM, Mr T said:

It contains the raw numbers of each variety found (though obverses 2 and 3 in the book are swapped from the current book). Definitely worth getting a copy.

Gary Schindler kindly sent me a copy - free - what a nice man ! :)

• Like 1

Thanks to Pete for my copy of the Freeman sale catalogue which arrived safely today. Pete, you are a great benefactor to members of this forum for which I am sure there is much gratitude.

Jerry

• Like 2

Pete is one of the "off the wall" members. I doff my Hat.

On 07/10/2016 at 7:33 AM, Nordle11 said:

Wouldn't mind a copy of that as well. Nice.

I managed to get an original November 1991, auction 89 catalogue from an internet site "Dymasia". They have many more auction catalogues advertised on their website.

• Like 2

Not a recent purchase but one i have not posted before.

1847 Def Far Colon :)

Pete.

1.png

• Like 6

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Not a recent purchase but one i have not posted before.

1847 Def Far Colon :)

Pete.

1.png

Gorgeous specimen, Pete.

• Like 1