British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Managed to obtain a Freeman 25 from Dave Craddock for just £45. It's only about fine, but despite the rarity 12, you see very few of this type for sale. For example only 2 in the LCA during the last 13 years. There was a UNC in the Workman sale a few years ago though. 

Freeman 25 rev 30916.jpg

Freeman 25 obv 30916.jpg

Are you sure that this coin is obverse 4 ?? can you see L.C.WYON below the bust ?? the outer ribbon also appears thinner. The toothed border is thinner. Are you sure it's not obverse 5 ??

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Are you sure that this coin is obverse 4 ?? can you see L.C.WYON below the bust ?? the outer ribbon also appears thinner. The toothed border is thinner. Are you sure it's not obverse 5 ??

It doesn't show on the pic, but under a loupe, the L C WYON is there, clear of the bust and showing as I C WYON, consistent with obverse 4. To be honest, when I first looked at it this morning, on its arrival, I thought the same as you, until I saw the signature.     

8 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Thank you Bernie, you beat me to it....

It's a poor picture but my first thought was that it had some obverse 5 diagnostics....

As Bernie asked, does it have LCWYON under Victoria's bust??

A close-up of that area maybe

???

10 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

It doesn't show on the pic, but under a loupe, the L C WYON is there, clear of the bust and showing as I C WYON, consistent with obverse 4. To be honest, when I first looked at it this morning, on its arrival, I thought the same as you, until I saw the signature.     

Didn't see this response when I made prior post....

Question answered.....

27 minutes ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Thank you Bernie, you beat me to it....

It's a poor picture but my first thought was that it had some obverse 5 diagnostics....

As Bernie asked, does it have LCWYON under Victoria's bust??

A close-up of that area maybe

???

Wish I could. Unfortunately my photographic skills are not that good.

Idiot that I am, I only went and uploaded a pic of my Freeman 28 in error.

The actual Freeman 25 is here (sorry for the confusion folks)

Freeman 25 rev revised.jpg

Freeman 25 obv revised.jpg

4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I thought that I was losing it !! I was about to eat my hat !

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Now that is an F-25.....

• Like 1

I have a better spare one of these for sale, but need a net £100. Save me bothering with ebay when the clocks go back if anyone is interested.

1861 F25 Reverse.jpg

1861 F25 Obverse.jpg

I'll take it as it's a distinct improvement on the one I've just bought, which I'll now keep as a spare.

Have sent you a PM.

On 10/1/2016 at 2:15 PM, alfnail said:

Thank you Michael, it's yours. 

Picked up from Post Office today. Many thanks, Ian.  

I received my DNW auction lots today, and in the Peck that I won, there was a very interesting document from the Empire Coin company about the probably unique 1954 penny. Take a look:-

empire coins 2.jpg

empire coins 1.jpg

empire coins 3.jpg

empire coins 4.jpg

• Like 4

What a nice surprise! Thank you for sharing that Mike.

• Like 1

That 1954 penny in the picture looks much brighter than the one I have a photo of  - maybe it's not unique after all ?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I received my DNW auction lots today, and in the Peck that I won, there was a very interesting document from the Empire Coin company about the probably unique 1954 penny. Take a look:-

empire coins 2.jpg

empire coins 1.jpg

empire coins 3.jpg

empire coins 4.jpg

Hello Mike, Is it possible to get a clearer picture of the reverse from the letter ? please.

27 minutes ago, secret santa said:

That 1954 penny in the picture looks much brighter than the one I have a photo of  - maybe it's not unique after all ?

The modern pictures of the 1954 penny were produced on a scanner. There is some residual lustre on the actual coin.

So if the dies and the coins were destroyed why is there still one around, which in turn would beg the questions, was it stolen from the mint, if so, by whom and if it was, wouldn't it be the property of the RM. Can you post a picture of the picture you have SS

53 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Hello Mike, Is it possible to get a clearer picture of the reverse from the letter ? please.

Hope this is OK, Bernie:-

Just to add it's the best I can get, as the actual pic on the document itself, is not that brilliant.

re-sized 1954.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence

57f532843101d_re-sized1954.jpg.5ece0973ff6b5b456f414ee53a29dab9.jpg

Based on the toning band on the reverse it would be fair to say both the pictures are of the same coin.

58 minutes ago, azda said:

So if the dies and the coins were destroyed why is there still one around, which in turn would beg the questions, was it stolen from the mint, if so, by whom and if it was, wouldn't it be the property of the RM. Can you post a picture of the picture you have SS

There are three questions which we don't know the answer to (well somebody might, assuming they're still alive). They are:-

1) How the single 1954 coin entered circulation, or if it was removed from the Royal MInt premises, accidentally or otherwise by a Royal MInt employee.

2) If it did somehow get into circulation via a mistake at the Royal MInt, who initially found it.

3/ How did Peck get hold of it?

From a legal perspective, the Royal Mint would have to assume that it accidentally entered circulation, but having done so - obviously by means unknown - ownership is then transferred to the current bearer. That's the way I would see it anyway. Any rate, the Mint have never claimed ownership.