British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The catalogue is hard copy only Matt.

A lot of the coins were obviously the plate coins used in the books.

The auction catalogue is quite scarce and from memory think i paid about £25 for mine.

Christies sale October 1984.

The same coin with the same provenance from the Bamford sale for what it's worth.

Hard copy, getting a soft copy would be a bit difficult because 23/10/1984 is a bit before the internet age :lol:. If you don’t have the catalogue it might be worth getting someone to scan the Appendix because that’s where the pictures are instead of being alongside corresponding lots.

I was hoping it had been digitized at some point. Not to worry I'll do a bit of digging, I'm sure I'll find one somewhere.

Thanks Pete, what's the exact title of this catalogue? Hard to search on their site

I would phone them...they didnt have one advertised when i bought my copy.

Its the .......The M. J .Freeman collection of victorian bronze coins.

Christies Tuesday 23 october 1984.

• Like 1

There was one on ebay not long back and it sold for £18.

If you spot another..

I've sent Christies an email, had a look on eBay but nothing there. Hard to find it too because a lot of what comes up is Freeman's bronze coinage book.

That slabbed quickly!

Nice coin Pere.

Does anyone know who purchased the 1869 penny from Spink. Had to take my Godson to AnE so missed that sale.

8 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

If you spot another

.. I will alert the cavalry

Just now, jacinbox said:

.. I will alert the cavalry



Wasnt me the 1869 but believe it was a nice coin as a mate looked at it but he was interested in it so left alone.

Reasonable price compared with IMO some of the others.

Edited by PWA 1967

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

If you spot another..

I've sent Christies an email, had a look on eBay but nothing there. Hard to find it too because a lot of what comes up is Freeman's bronze coinage book.

If it's any help, Matt, the Fitzwilliam museum have all old auction catalogues, and the Christies auction of 23rd October 1984, is amongst them. Here's the link It's a bit antiquated as you have to scroll down under C to find Christies. That shows that they hold the catalogue for that auction, but it's not clear whether you are only able to view within the museum itself, or whether they would send you a copy for a fee.   

1984:  15 Feb;  3 Apr;  1 May;  20 Jun;  18 Jul;  24 Jul;
              9 Oct (ancient [Adda I]);  9 Oct (ancient, foreign);
            23 Oct;  20 Nov;  4 Dec;

There is an e mail address you can make enquiries at.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacinbox said:

Nice coin Pere.

Does anyone know who purchased the 1869 penny from Spink. Had to take my Godson to AnE so missed that sale.

Also, who got the 1869 from the DNW. Nice coin with fairly even subdued lustre and no problems. Went for £2000 hammer.

8 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

If it's any help, Matt, the Fitzwilliam museum have all old auction catalogues, and the Christies auction of 23rd October 1984, is amongst them. Here's the link It's a bit antiquated as you have to scroll down under C to find Christies. That shows that they hold the catalogue for that auction, but it's not clear whether you are only able to view within the museum itself, or whether they would send you a copy for a fee.   

There is an e mail address you can make enquiries at.

Thanks Mike I'll give it a go

12 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Also, who got the 1869 from the DNW. Nice coin with fairly even subdued lustre and no problems. Went for £2000 hammer.

I am starting to think i sstttuuuutterrr :P

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I am starting to think i sstttuuuutterrr :P

Well done, Pete B)

8 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Well done, Pete B)

Think his mate got it?

5 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Think his mate got it?

OK, I'll just shut up at this point :wub: 

3 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

OK, I'll just shut up at this point :wub: 

:D although to be fair there are 2 questions - who got the Spink one and who got the DNW one..

Managed to obtain a Freeman 25 from Dave Craddock for just £45. It's only about fine, but despite the rarity 12, you see very few of this type for sale. For example only 2 in the LCA during the last 13 years. There was a UNC in the Workman sale a few years ago though. 

Freeman 25 rev 30916.jpg

Freeman 25 obv 30916.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 3