British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

and another from VickySilver's collection...

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

• Like 4

Lovely jubbly, I must say

On 5 July 2016 at 9:08 PM, Peter said:

Lovely tone Pete,from the picture 65 seems harsh.

I would also agree that 65 seems harsh

Both the 1918H & KN are things of outstanding beauty - "stands and applauds"

Gents looking for confirmation - this penny has 138 teeth ,Colon dots of D:G point to a gap  and colon dots of F:D point to a tooth which according to Secret Santa is Gouby E. Are we agreed on this. In which case this would be a rather rare penny.

IMG_0690_zpszj17wcwb.jpg

What date and reverse is it? It does look like obverse Gouby E, which is Freeman 3. Whether rare or not depends on date, whether 1860 (common) or 1861 (very rare).

Jerry

11 hours ago, hazelman said:

Gents looking for confirmation - this penny has 138 teeth ,Colon dots of D:G point to a gap  and colon dots of F:D point to a tooth which according to Secret Santa is Gouby E. Are we agreed on this. In which case this would be a rather rare penny.

IMG_0690_zpszj17wcwb.jpg

Jerry is right this is an obv 3 so the year would be important to put a value on the coin. Terry's penny is a Freeman 2 with the A of Victoria pointing to a tooth and this coin has the A pointing to a gap. Estimates for the coin in XF+ grade would be in the range of £80 for 1860, upwards of £2000 for 1861 and over £3500 if it’s an 1862.

• Like 1

The 1918 KN was "boddybagged" by PCGS for colour! IMO this is not altered. The '18H does not come off as well in photos as in hand as it is very well struck indeed.

It's the penny that @loose54 posted up here a few months ago.

I wondered when it would turn up at auction :D 

I see the 1933 penny went for over £149K at Heritage yesterday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, secret santa said:

I see the 1933 penny went for over £149K at Heritage yesterday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drat! Missed that one! ?

Jerry

Found this F16 with a rotated R in BRITT.  I have not seen this on any of the 7 examples I have previously owned, anyone else got one of these?

1860 F16 Rev.jpg1860 F16 Obv.jpg1860 F16 Rotated R in BRITT.jpg

1 hour ago, alfnail said:

Found this F16 with a rotated R in BRITT.  I have not seen this on any of the 7 examples I have previously owned, anyone else got one of these?

1860 F16 Rev.jpg1860 F16 Obv.jpg1860 F16 Rotated R in BRITT.jpg

I have two of them, both UNC, and both are N/Z. I have 10 others that are not tilted R.....

Edited by RLC35

11 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

I have two of them, both UNC, and bother are N/Z. I have 10 others that are not tilted R.....

Here is one of the examples.....

IMG_8693 (640x480).jpg

IMG_8683 (640x480).jpg

Different dies though. The relative position of the 2 Ts and the alignment of the I is not the same.

Yes, I was meaning has anyone seen this on a Freeman Obverse 5 rather than Obverse 2. Interestingly the N/Z reverse is also seen paired with two different Obverse 2 dies, one with the R of BRITT rotated anti-clockwise as described by Bob (same as my F16 Obverse 5) and another with the R just slightly rotated, but this time clockwise as pictured below. This 2nd N/Z Obverse also has several other different repairs e.g. to the R of REG. I think these multiple obverses paired with the rare N/Z reverse may have been previously discussed on the forum. 

1860 NZ BRITT RI.jpg

NZ Obverse 2.jpg

1 hour ago, alfnail said:

Yes, I was meaning has anyone seen this on a Freeman Obverse 5 rather than Obverse 2. Interestingly the N/Z reverse is also seen paired with two different Obverse 2 dies, one with the R of BRITT rotated anti-clockwise as described by Bob (same as my F16 Obverse 5) and another with the R just slightly rotated, but this time clockwise as pictured below. This 2nd N/Z Obverse also has several other different repairs e.g. to the R of REG. I think these multiple obverses paired with the rare N/Z reverse may have been previously discussed on the forum. 

1860 NZ BRITT RI.jpg

NZ Obverse 2.jpg

You are correct. The REG and FD are both re-engraved, and the A in Victoria is Strongly doubled (re-engraved). In fact the doubled "A" in Victoria is a identifier of the N/Z Obverse. 

On 08/19/2016 at 6:53 PM, RLC35 said:

You are correct. The REG and FD are both re-engraved, and the A in Victoria is Strongly doubled (re-engraved). In fact the doubled "A" in Victoria is a identifier of the N/Z Obverse. 

The other obverse die does NOT have a doubled or re-engraved A......

Not the nicest looking penny but one i will always keep.

Its the actual coin that was used to illustrate OBV 10 in the Michael freeman book "The victorian bronze penny ".

1.png

2.png

• Like 2

Nice little memento, I wouldn't mind having an example used in the books either.

I've never seen a copy of "The Victorian Bronze Penny" - is it very different from the "Bronze Coinage of Great Britain" ?

1 minute ago, secret santa said:

I've never seen a copy of "The Victorian Bronze Penny" - is it very different from the "Bronze Coinage of Great Britain" ?

It's the precursor to the Bronze Coinage..   it covers only pennies..

Nice bit of provenance Pete, I like that. :)

I am currently trawling through my Victorian Penny collection looking for opportunities to thin it down, but without disposing of anything I may later regret. I am currently looking closely at my 1844 pennies, of which I have 11 examples which I have kept up until now due to various die variations. Of these, I have 7 coins which I have categorised as plain tails to the numeral 4’s, and the other 4 coins have both 4’s with their ‘tails up’. I also believe that these 11 specimens cover 8 different date styles when one includes a further detailed analysis of exact numeral locations.

Something which I had previously noticed, but have now had the opportunity to examine more closely with a digital microscope, is that all of the coins which I have classed as ‘plain tails’ seem to have the remnants of the upward tail to both their numeral 4’s.

I am wondering, therefore, whether all 1844 dies started life with their tails pointing upwards, and that the plain tail ‘variety’ is merely the result of many dies becoming ‘clogged’ through use. If this were the case, however, I think one may expect to find some specimens where the two 44 numerals exhibit the two different tail types, i.e. because one would expect the clogging of the two numerals on at least one die to occur at different times.    

If members are Victorian Copper Penny enthusiasts then this may be of interest. In that case, perhaps such members could check their own collections to see if they can locate a coin with both tail types.

Also, if anyone can think of an alternative explanation I would be grateful if thoughts could be shared.

I attach example pictures taken at 100x mag. starting with the ‘tails up’ numeral type.

On a further posting, which will follow on immediately due to picture size, there will be 4 examples of the ‘plain tails’ types, where I believe that upward tail remnants can still be seen on all the 4’s. Please note that all 7 of my plain tails coins have remnants, not just these 4 examples…………. I have kept a few obverse duplicates in my collection when paired with different reverses, for example where a single obverse is found to be paired with both the DFF and a non-DFF reverse.

I can add higher definition pictures of given numerals if desired!     

1844 Tails Up PD.jpg