British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

26 minutes ago, Rob said:

Presumably this will come naturally to most people here, but what is the Gouby reverse for a narrow date 1876H? Reverse j says 1874 only, rev. m doesn't have the rock by the linear circle, nor the protruding one on the RHS. The trident is closer to the linear circle than the top of the P as for rev.k. The lighthouse looks like rev. ja, which is only for 1874,5,& 7, but Britannia's hair is in any case longer than for ja and more like j whilst the back of the helmet is more like ja as well. And one final question, who nicked rev. l?

All this makes sense as a Freeman reverse K however.

Ta.

Gouby M. Freeman K as you've said.

Gouby L+m & Freeman 8+k

Also no idea about rev. I lol. Maybe he excluded it for visual purposes (i.e so it's not mistaken for a 1 or an l (el))

10 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Gouby M. Freeman K as you've said.

Gouby L+m & Freeman 8+k

Yes, but that makes the lighthouse wrong which is thinner than m and has distinctly separate rocks by the linear circle and standing proud to the RHS as per ja

rock by the linear circle as ja, rock standing up to right of lighthouse as per k, rev m doesn't have either of these rocks showing in Gouby

img143.jpg

It still looks like m to me..

3 hours ago, Rob said:

rock by the linear circle as ja, rock standing up to right of lighthouse as per k, rev m doesn't have either of these rocks showing in Gouby

img143.jpg

Freeman 89, dies 8 + K, Gouby L + m - absolutely no question.

I've looked at all my reverse H's & K's. Interestingly, the small rock close to the linear circle does not appear in all of them, probably due to a die issue. On some, the lighthouse itself appears closer to the linear circle, which obliterates the small rock. But it should be there, as on yours. Gouby's pic not ideal for reverse m, but the rock clearly seen on reverse ja

Edited by 1949threepence
less to add.

I've just looked in Gouby's book and his picture of reverse m is not very good - it doesn't clearly show the tiny rock near the linear circle or the one to the right of the lighthouse (the pic on my website is much better - yah, boo). Definitely a reverse m (Freeman K). Hopefully Chris has also used my photo in the new Freeman book (or will include it in the next version).

R

Thanks chaps. A rather inauspicious start to the new reference having failed to make things clear on only the 3rd identification exercise. Must start collecting thrymsas with their somewhat simpler runic legends. :)

On 2/29/2016 at 1:22 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Happy to fill a gap on the coppers :)

Think its hard to get one UNC so this will do.

1831 with WW .

Its the ex-alderley one Lot 41.

1.png

Sent this for grading CGS came back today as cgs 65 ....Made up as rare .W.W....so one to keep 

• Like 2

Lovely tone Pete,from the picture 65 seems harsh.

65 is equivalent to GEF, just one notch below AUNC ...

Just now, Paulus said:

65 is equivalent to GEF, just one notch below AUNC ...

And just as importantly wasnt rejected Paul :)

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

And just as importantly wasnt rejected Paul :)

Indeed, any microscopic traces of verd and you're done for!

Pete's asked us to post more......So with that in mind, does anybody know who owns the gold proof 1860 penny, known as a Freeman 2? Or is it in a museum. Just interested on an academic level as you never hear of it, leastways I haven't.

Edited by 1949threepence
Typo

Don't know where it is, but I would think it is still in the market. Dolphin bought it in Norweb pt.4 for £11200 hammer.

14 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Pete's asked us to post more......So with that in mind, does anybody know who owns the gold proof 1860 penny, known as a Freeman 2? Or is it in a museum. Just interested on an academic level as you never hear of it, leastways I haven't.

I dont buy proofs but might buy that one as a curiosty :)

Uh, 80k+ worth of curiosity I would guess....

Are there any pictures in existence. Is there a story as to why a gold proof?

There are pictures in the Norweb catalogue, but as it just looks like a normal bun head it wouldn't be very informative to post it. AFAIK nobody is sure why the 1860 and 1861 gold strikings were made, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to say they were presentation pieces, the only question being for who? The 1861 had to be a set of three, but the 1860 appears to be a penny only.

3 hours ago, IanB said:

Are there any pictures in existence. Is there a story as to why a gold proof?

No, but in the  "Trials, Proofs & Anomalies" section of his British Bronze Penny book, Gouby states the following with regard to the Freeman 2 - "Gold Proof = 1 known. Glen's Auc. 18/9/1963 # 278 pAS (Note included from Royal Family collection) <13.74 gms > (1)  Norweb - 17/6/1987 Spink Auc # 1731 pAS £12,516 (1)" - so perhaps the £80k of curiosity mentioned by Vicky Silver above, might be close to the current mark.

Edited by 1949threepence
Predictive text strikes again

I believe that the Freeman 2 Gold proof was sold to a Japanese collector. I believe the auction hammer was £6000, Auctioned by Spink, June 1987.

I did hear that the coin was once in the Royal collection.

1860 gold.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for the information guys. I can see what you mean by the picture that the coin looks like an ordinary bun head but it will have the added benefit of retaining it lustre. I am assuming a high carat gold 18 or 22?

Wonder why Her Majesty flogged it, surely she has a few bob put aside for a rainy day without having to sell of her collection.

A penny for your thoughts -- from VickySilver's collection...

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

• Like 5