British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Now that is the sensible way! I tried the Hercules method once of just twisting one in my hands until it shattered - but then the coins and some very sharp plastic shards exploded all over the room....

Prax, for some reason your images generate only a question mark on my I-mac. That was quite a haul there from Steve's bits. I really thought about giving our dear SS a run for the 1922/7 but guess I have to keep something in the bank!

27 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Now that is the sensible way! I tried the Hercules method once of just twisting one in my hands until it shattered - but then the coins and some very sharp plastic shards exploded all over the room....

Prax, for some reason your images generate only a question mark on my I-mac. That was quite a haul there from Steve's bits. I really thought about giving our dear SS a run for the 1922/7 but guess I have to keep something in the bank!

That's how I go about it too, but wrapped in a tea towel first. Limits the explosive radius :D

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

Vicky - thanks for not going higher - when I bid the £7250 I immediately regretted it but was sure that someone would overbid me and that I'd bid no higher - but now that I've got it, I'm pleased that I did bid. Often happens that way, and often happens that I wished I'd bid higher on something ! I also used to open slabs with a hammer but when I ruined a gem BU 1867 penny I resorted to the hacksaw method - much more effective. In fact, I now leave them in the slabs - proof of their grade !

Vicky I did indeed go a bit berserk with the sale. Can't blame me :wacko:, Stevie had some stunners and I would have waited a very long time to find better specimens of some varieties that I acquired. Not too sure what's happening with the images. I will try adding another I got off Stevie to see if it's any better on your mac. Previously I copy pasted the image links into the textbox this time this time I will add the links slightly differently (by linking content).

Penny1874%20F67%206%20+%20H%20OBV.jpg

Penny1874%20F67%206%20+%20H%20REV.jpg

Edited by Prax
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, secret santa said:

Vicky - thanks for not going higher - when I bid the £7250 I immediately regretted it but was sure that someone would overbid me and that I'd bid no higher - but now that I've got it, I'm pleased that I did bid. Often happens that way, and often happens that I wished I'd bid higher on something ! I also used to open slabs with a hammer but when I ruined a gem BU 1867 penny I resorted to the hacksaw method - much more effective. In fact, I now leave them in the slabs - proof of their grade !

How to break a coin out of a slab

Useful video.

Ah yes, I can see those very nice images. Do we get to see the others? I only got a few of the Ed 7's in hopes they were a bit better than what I had of those dates - they weren't especially. You know, Richard I have stretched for a few and generally as a collector have appreciated that I did afterwards; I bid up to (sorry!) about 6500 by memory but felt anyone wanting it more dearly would deserve it, so congratulations.

BTW, I tried to bargain that off of Steve when he first showed it on the board and he wisely held on to it....

Here's a photo I took of the Freeman 14 I got from Steve's collection:-

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATY0MD

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Here's a photo I took of the Freeman 14 I got from Steve's collection:-

File wouldn't open Michael......

9 hours ago, RLC35 said:

File wouldn't open Michael......

Ok, thanks Bob. This has happened before and I'm at a loss as to why the images appear on my devices but no-one else's.

Never mind - I'll post links and include my F74 as well :)

Freeman 74 - 1874 "specimen" rev

Freeman 74 - 1874 "specimen" obv

Freeman 14 - 1860 LCW under foot

Freeman 14 - 1860 LCW under foot obv

Hopefully, this will work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Ok, thanks Bob. This has happened before and I'm at a loss as to why the images appear on my devices but no-one else's.

Never mind - I'll post links and include my F74 as well :)

Freeman 74 - 1874 "specimen" rev

Freeman 74 - 1874 "specimen" obv

Freeman 14 - 1860 LCW under foot

Freeman 14 - 1860 LCW under foot obv

Hopefully, this will work.

Nice Pennies, I especially like the F-14. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

Lovely coins especially the LCW on foot.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2016 at 2:38 PM, VickySilver said:

Ah yes, I can see those very nice images. Do we get to see the others? ...

Most of the other lots no one seemed interested for instance Lot 84 F71, Lot 87 F79 and Lot 103 F111; but I had to have them because they were in better grades to mine.

Edited by Prax
  • Like 1

A lot were also pretty common Prax or low grades/problems and therefore not really cheap,in some cases :)

I dont know how many lots went unsold ...against those that did ?.

As i mentioned before a lot went to forum members .

I agree with that Pete, as that’s bound to be the case when you have pretty much the entire series for sale. The F71 as you know is 10 a penny in low grades but I am a big fan of coins graded by PCGS in MS65 and above, which she was :-)

I did speak to Mr Paisley about unsold lots and he had about 25 coins (of which one was proof – 1881 if I recall correctly) left which I was told he would relist at some point without the bidder premium but I can’t remember if that was after speaking to Steve and acquiring the unsold lots at a fixed price. Obviously Neil makes his money on the premium so I guess he will look at getting a reasonable discount on the unsold lots. There was also some talk of listing the unsold lots with LCA without reserve, so we’ll have to watch le space.

I am really super glad that so many forum users supported Steve by bidding on (or buying) his coins.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Prax said:

I agree with that Pete, as that’s bound to be the case when you have pretty much the entire series for sale. The F71 as you know is 10 a penny in low grades but I am a big fan of coins graded by PCGS in MS65 and above, which she was :-)

I did speak to Mr Paisley about unsold lots and he had about 25 coins (of which one was proof – 1881 if I recall correctly) left which I was told he would relist at some point without the bidder premium but I can’t remember if that was after speaking to Steve and acquiring the unsold lots at a fixed price. Obviously Neil makes his money on the premium so I guess he will look at getting a reasonable discount on the unsold lots. There was also some talk of listing the unsold lots with LCA without reserve, so we’ll have to watch le space.

I am really super glad that so many forum users supported Steve by bidding on (or buying) his coins.

Me too, Prax, and thanks for the other info.

Many of Steve's coins were at the high end of high end, and he has conversed with many of us on here, over several years. We were the first to find out he was selling his collection when Pete posted the Copthorne collection thread, as well as already familiar with his stock via his collection website. So it was inevitable than many of his coins would end up with us. Although as Rob said a few weeks ago, maybe the market is thinner than we imagine - don't know.

Incidentally I tried to like the above quoted post of yours, but I kept getting the message "you are not allowed to give this user reputation points" or some such. Tried on a different post of yours and that worked. The only thing different about this one that I notice (on my PC at least, which is not necessarily the most reliable indicator, given the issues I experience trying to show pictures), is that the post is in a different font to normal.    

17 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Me too, Prax, and thanks for the other info.

Many of Steve's coins were at the high end of high end, and he has conversed with many of us on here, over several years. We were the first to find out he was selling his collection when Pete posted the Copthorne collection thread, as well as already familiar with his stock via his collection website. So it was inevitable than many of his coins would end up with us. Although as Rob said a few weeks ago, maybe the market is thinner than we imagine - don't know.

Incidentally I tried to like the above quoted post of yours, but I kept getting the message "you are not allowed to give this user reputation points" or some such. Tried on a different post of yours and that worked. The only thing different about this one that I notice (on my PC at least, which is not necessarily the most reliable indicator, given the issues I experience trying to show pictures), is that the post is in a different font to normal.    

It shows up as you liking it 1949

57 minutes ago, Paulus said:

It shows up as you liking it 1949

So it does. Not sure what happened there. It didn't at first. 

Thanks 

CGS have decided my 1854 penny is variety 'D of DEF over a lower, broken D'

1854_1d_rev_05a_cgs__uin_39472.png

Is it the one you bought a while back Paul ?

Can i ask the grade or variety number......... :)

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

Is it the one you bought a while back Paul ?

Can i ask the grade or variety number......... :)

Yes it is. Still being graded so it will be a few more months before we know their grading verdict!

CGS variety 06, UIN 39472, looks like this will be the 2nd one to be processed by them

Nice coin as i mentioned earleir when you bought it Paul.

A few more months :o

22 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Nice coin as i mentioned earleir when you bought it Paul.

A few more months :o

I'm exaggerating (hopefully!!). They do seem to be taken extra long during this period of CGS business model uncertainty, I know a few people who are waiting longer than is usual ... 

They have attributed as above and taken pics so far:

1854_1d_05_cgs__uin_39472_1600.jpg

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

Presumably this will come naturally to most people here, but what is the Gouby reverse for a narrow date 1876H? Reverse j says 1874 only, rev. m doesn't have the rock by the linear circle, nor the protruding one on the RHS. The trident is closer to the linear circle than the top of the P as for rev.k. The lighthouse looks like rev. ja, which is only for 1874,5,& 7, but Britannia's hair is in any case longer than for ja and more like j whilst the back of the helmet is more like ja as well. And one final question, who nicked rev. l?

All this makes sense as a Freeman reverse K however.

Ta.