British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

About a minute I think.  Make a cup of tea or pour yourself a nice dram of whisky ;-)

3 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

About a minute I think.  Make a cup of tea or pour yourself a nice dram of whisky ;-)

Bugger! Since posting, so far I've got the front cover :P

A nice cuppa it is then :D

6 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Expensive for sure, but Neil Paisley will usually start reducing the price or offering on e bay if they don't shift fairly quickly. So watch this space.

No worries, Matt. It's the sort of thing I would also do. 

Yes, where they paid £3000 + 17% commission, so £3510 in total. £1k profit if they sell at that price :ph34r: 

Cant see a problem although i maybe i am reading this wrong.

Neil has done nothing but help and advise me over the last few years,but dont see anything wrong in the amount he is asking.

He has wages , office , catalogues ,petrol plus tables at fairs and acomadation. ,viewing collections,auction lots all over the country etc.

He may sell it for a bit less but his stock levels are vast and doesnt do it just for fun :)

I maybe off the mark ............Although i know you dont come on the forum now Neil ...... but if you read this be lucky.

Pete.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Cant see a problem although i maybe i am reading this wrong.

Neil has done nothing but help and advise me over the last few years,but dont see anything wrong in the amount he is asking.

He has wages , office , catalogues ,petrol plus tables at fairs and acomadation. ,viewing collections,auction lots all over the country etc.

He may sell it for a bit less but his stock levels are vast and doesnt do it just for fun :)

I maybe off the mark ............Although i know you dont come on the forum now Neil ...... but if you read this be lucky.

Pete.

Not a problem, just sound business sense and exactly what I would do if I was him.   

I think a mark-up like he's asking is pretty reasonable.  Certainly in comparison to what you will often see in the art world (dealers buying from auction and then selling in their gallery).  Admittedly the art dealer has the costs of the gallery to cover which an online coin dealer will not, but from the customer's point of view the markups on coins are a lot more favourable than those on art.

That 1926 ME cost him 78% of the current price he's asking.

If you're buying the pictures or sculptures (or indeed the coins) just to enjoy rather than with half an eye on investment, this of course matters less.

There's a fine line between a hobby and an obsession.

So long as it's a hobby you strive to acquire pieces at a price under the catalog prince.

After that once you turn professional you don't mind catalog prices and there's a drive to acquire choice pieces. This is where the likes of Niel and Rasmussen come in.

Like Pete mentions they are doing it for a living. If you need quality then be prepared to shell out top $

Edited by jacinbox

And it's people like Neil/Rasmussen/JN Coins that are keeping the top of the market afloat. If we are all going for prices under catalogue value then sooner or later the catalogue value will drop to come in line with real prices paid.

It's a bugger if you're trying to get a top piece, but if you already have one then you'd be happy to see examples like these priced at what they are.

Edited by Nordle11

There's too much obsession with catalogue prices. Some are too high, other too low. Even as a hobby, it is not unreasonable to pay over the catalogue price for something you want because the prices seen vary so wildly that only one will ever be on the button and even that is not guaranteed. Ultimately it boils down to whether you are willing to pay what is asked. Whether you collect as a hobby or as an obsession, you always make the same decision based on how much you want something and whether it is affordable. Those who have done their homework will have a feel for prices, the remainder wander blindly, many convinced they are being ripped off at anything above the lowest prices in the reference catalogues. The stingiest working on the principle of fair (for which read lowest catalogue) price or more never knowingly (or willingly) paid.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

And sometimes you might well never see one as nice as the current example again, so you may need to strike when the convergence of opportunity and available funds presents itself.

I've certainly paid full gallery list price on a few occasions for original artwork I really like (e.g. new work from an established artist's solo exhibition), given that it would be sold very quickly to someone else if I hesitated.  I've learned that lesson the hard way more than once!

In other words, take a deep breath if you love the item.  You're unlikely to regret the decision.

On 1/12/2016 at 6:23 PM, 1949threepence said:

Has anybody see the two magnificent offerings Colin Cooke is making this month. Can't give pictures as they're small. black and white, and in a magazine. But.....wait for it.....:-

1919KN (F187) uncirculated with good lustre on both sides £1,950.00

1926 modified effigy (F195) BU full lustre, exceptional. Slabbed as CGS80 and as such it is certainly one of the finest known - a mere snip at £4,500.00

Wow B)

(they may already have gone, but if not, they'll be loaded on their website in a few days)

Well some lunatic bought the 1926 ;)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

That doesn't surprise me at all. It's a superb item, and I doubt a better one exists.

Far from a lunatic, more a very wise investment. Not to mention the kudos of holding such a high end piece.

You wont have any dosh left for the LCA then, Pete.............:P

Lovely coin, just as good in the hand, or at least slab. I was very tempted by the 1919kn at the Midland, had it out of the case three times, but eventually felt the spot on the reverse was just too offputting, and in a way it was 'too' clean and shiny compared to the other lustrous coins around it; not entirely logical I accept , but I decided to keep my powder dry; a phrase the meaning of which has rather migrated for the younger generation. Sniff.

Sniff.

Jerry

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Not an investment ,but happy to tick off the list.

Nice coin

You won't regret buying this 1926 ME Pete - collectors need the odd beautiful coin to treasure, look at, show off etc. Much better than lying on a beach in the sun for 2 weeks and then coming back to a cold winter  and diet a few thousand pounds poorer with nothing to show for it.

• Like 1

1035405.jpg

found this 1907 in a bunch of pennies, 7 looks off.

1 minute ago, scott said:

1035405.jpg

found this 1907 in a bunch of pennies, 7 looks off.

The picture's not showing Scott?

Pete's just sent me a ton of 1907's (probably 20 in total) with different 7's and 9's and positions and extra bits and bobs etc. I think there are many many micro types..

4 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

The picture's not showing Scott?

Pete's just sent me a ton of 1907's (probably 20 in total) with different 7's and 9's and positions and extra bits and bobs etc. I think there are many many micro types..

There are at least 13 types based around the '9' and the '7'. There are also closed and open '9s', so plenty to find and collect. 

6 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

There are at least 13 types based around the '9' and the '7'. There are also closed and open '9s', so plenty to find and collect. 

Yes it was only after reading your book David i started looking for them.

Maybe it was my computer! Now I'm on my iPad the picture shows up and also shows in my quote, doh!

Acquired this week

Swapped for a UNC 1876 h wide date, PCGS 1873 MS 65 RB and a PCGS 1866 65 RB

Provenance : Spink Sep 2015 10056 Lot 537 (around £1200 with premium) and ex Ashman (?)

15006_537_1.jpg

Edited by Prax
  • Like 1

On 14/01/2016 at 4:21 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Well done Pete. Have you considered starting a website?

Nice coin prax!!

I can't find the Spink lot, but I'm terrible at using their website! Is it a 6+D?

Here is one I can't get my head around, it's a 1926 penny which looks like an ME where the colon after BRITT points to a tooth but there is quite a clear stop after the BM? I thought that there are no stops in BM on the ME?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg