British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Great coins Jerry, and so much better than they looked in the catalogue or on the website !!!!

One for the Penny boys..............work this out if you can

01/06/2014

Auction 145 English Coins Lot

2446 Penny 1868 Freeman 56 dies 6+G, Gouby BP1868Ab with 11 1/2 teeth date spacing Choice UNC with some lustre, slabbed and graded CGS 82, the second finest of 4 examples thus far recorded on the CGS Population Report

£875

01/03/2015

Auction 148 English Coins Lot

2186 Penny 1868 Dies 6 + G Freeman 56, Ex-Roland Harris Collection London Coin Auction A124 Feb 28 2009 Lot 710 Unc obverse almost fully lustrous, reverse near so, rare thus and the finest so far recorded by CGS at grade 80

Edited by azda

Take a punt and say it is a case of copy and paste from the Roland Harris description, the populations having since been extended along with the highest recorded number.

This happens a lot. Even going back half a century you find lots with exactly the same description in catalogues even 10 years on. e.g. a bulk lot was bought in the Parsons sale in 1954, and a lot with exactly the same eclectic description was sold when the purchaser in Parsons sold up in the early 1960s. Another glaring example was a Pontefract shilling in a Bonhams sale 10 years which didn't go with an estimate of 1300. As it was clearly a £2-3000 coin, the question was why? It had been plugged, It was then sold in the following sale, described as plugged but not illustrated. The link was possible with the copy and paste identical faulty references used. ;) It then reappeared on eBay as being ex the first Bonhams sale where there was no mention of it being plugged. I advised the top and underbidders whereupon they withdrew.their bids.

Dave

I think the only answer is that CGS must grade a BP1868Ab F56 as a different coin from a bog standard F56. I must say that treating every date width listed by Gouby as a standalone variety is going too far in my opinion.

R

Two different varieties Dave ?.

Both 6+G, a bead width surely cannot be offered As another variety and become finest known, thats just crazy or money making

Oh and a better picture of the recent 1919KN i bought

post-5057-0-31593300-1450610643_thumb.jp

Muuuuch better Dave.

I also have to agree with you there Richard, it would become unpragmatic to start to define every different date space as an individual variety, especially as this is not a change in design. As Dave says I think it's just an attempt to take in more money.

Amazing, keep it up Jerry these are some beauties!! I really like the tripled F, great buy :)

I know I've shown this one before. My Triple F (sadly holed, but made it a very cheap Ebay pickup) is the ultimate Friday afternoon penny, legend disintegrating on both obverse and reverse.

BP%201860%20Jd%202.jpg

As well as the triple F, the second T of Britt is broken, the reverse has a broken E in ONE (?L over E) plus a raised dot between the E & N of PENNY similar to Gouby BP 1860 Le

Edited by davidrj

Both 6+G, a bead width surely cannot be offered As another variety and become finest known, thats just crazy or money making

Crazy...yes possibly but that depends on the individual who is buying it.

Money making i dont think so and neither attracts a premium on the CGS chart.

The thing is in fairness if a coin is referenced thats what they will slab it as , although a few have gone unnoticed.

Muuuuch better Dave.

I also have to agree with you there Richard, it would become unpragmatic to start to define every different date space as an individual variety, especially as this is not a change in design. As Dave says I think it's just an attempt to take in more money.

But they are only responding to the desire of the collector to find ever more esoteric varieties. It's a chicken and egg situation, but mostly chicken. Stop paying grossly inflated sums for minescule differences and this situation will go away. By all means include them as part of a detailed study, but as long as the herd mentality pushes up prices to silly (IMO) levels, then people will appear to satisfy the demand, or increase the price of existing stock to reflect the demand. That's business. The prices asked are determined by collector demand at auction, not dealers closely examining every coin and pushing the slightest difference as a variety - they don't have the time whereas collectors will talk, as on this forum when a new discovery suddenly turns into half a dozen known.

The F114 1882H; there isn't a close-up on the CGS site. Seems a scarce coin to me, first I've come across for sale (at least that I've recognised, probably couldn't tell in many pics).

I was really pleased with these, especially the 1878 which is beautiful.

Jerry

Yes i especially like that 1878 :)

That certainly tells a story David! I would also go as far as to say that it is slightly broad struck as well, looking at 6 o'clock on the obverse!

I finally got my 1934 in hand today and my god it's 50x better than the pictures showed. I'm also finding it hard to make it look as good as it does, but my pictures are certainly better than the sellers. Anyway, for £40 I am one happy customer :)

post-8244-0-30599100-1450614601_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-37525900-1450614602_thumb.jp

Thoughts on this 1862 I've just bought (seller's pics)

interesting%201862.jpg+

Interesting obverse, not sure which until in hand, and possibly halfpenny date or is it because the linear circle is totally missing from the exergue???

Edited by davidrj

That certainly tells a story David! I would also go as far as to say that it is slightly broad struck as well, looking at 6 o'clock on the obverse!

I finally got my 1934 in hand today and my god it's 50x better than the pictures showed. I'm also finding it hard to make it look as good as it does, but my pictures are certainly better than the sellers. Anyway, for £40 I am one happy customer :)

Really nice Nordle. I especially like the way the Reverse is sharply struck!

• Like 1

Interesting obverse, not sure which until in hand, and possibly halfpenny date or is it because the linear circle is totally missing from the exergue???

Having spent an hour studying the seller's pics, I think it's a bog standard, but interesting F39/BP1862C

The obverse looked exciting due to the gap between the B and Victoria's head - there's a missing serif on the B. The obverse looks odd because there is just a trace of the linear circle below the date - this is normally well struck on these

Edited by davidrj

Crazy...yes possibly but that depends on the individual who is buying it.

Money making i dont think so and neither attracts a premium on the CGS chart.

The thing is in fairness if a coin is referenced thats what they will slab it as , although a few have gone unnoticed.

Funnily enough i've never Seen a Gouby reference on their Labels for pennies, i have seen a Spink or Freeman Reference though

I think it's the standard 6+ G, but the lower serif of the B of BRITT is absent, making the gap look bigger.

Jerry

Sorry, was looking at the previous page, I see this has already been suggested!

Jerry

interesting%201862.jpg+

Just for a few seconds I thought it might be a Freeman 38 obverse 2, given what looks to be a larger than usual gap between the Queen's Head and the rim - certainly akin to one. But it's not. As you say, just a bog standard 1962.

Some very nice bun heads been listed on ebay this afternoon by this seller:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREAT-BRITAIN-Victoria-1860-AE-Penny-PCGS-MS65BN-Dies-6-D-KM-749-2-Gem-/171873195275?hash=item280470d50b:g:SKEAAOSwd0BVt49v

Think this one has been incorrectly slabbed as an F17 when should be F16, but still a rarer type so may be of interest to members / perhaps worth an offer if anyone is looking for type!

Very nice pennies but my god there's a hefty premium on them. With tax, postage and import duty from America they're hard to justify!

Agreed Matt, and apologies because not listed this afternoon, had it on wrong search!! Must have missed them when first listed, showing my age!!

Neat capture, Matt.

• Like 1