British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I recently received an 1841 circulation penny with colon that I acquired during the last Spink auction.

I think that this is the best looking 1841 circulation penny (with or without colon) that I've seen.

post-7603-0-78366500-1448123848_thumb.jp

post-7603-0-66052900-1448123867_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Very nice there, Catherine. Like to remember the old Spink and this evokes that.

Once I had the above, I did briefly pester Accumulator about his currency bit some time ago.....

Some nice pennies and that one catherine with the colon much scarcer in that grade as you will be aware.

I have a nice 1841 no colon its the one as my avatar pretty much full lustre graded CGS 85.

Pete

At least pose you 1849 :)

I looked at the detailed photos of your avatar coin on the CGS website today; I've never seen it before. Your specimen has much better coloration, while mine has slighty better details. If your coin had been for sale, I would have made a strong bid for it!

Well, if you can check this you may like it:

PCGS verification # 202988

Look up at pcgs.com under customer service section, cert verification. Also, in general on population reports section of site if you select verification number, there are some very nice coins depicted...

Yes, that's a bloody nice coin.

post-8244-0-22370100-1449148187_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thanks Nordle! Still want to see an 19H with that kind of obverse strike, mine doesn't.

I recently received an 1841 circulation penny with colon that I acquired during the last Spink auction.

I think that this is the best looking 1841 circulation penny (with or without colon) that I've seen.

I like it. A nice sharp strike! good purchase.

Very nice. Superb capture.

Nice

Everyone is entitled to sell /ask or buy what they want.

Currently there is a F8 and F41 listed on ebay ,both have been rejected by cgs for obvious reasons.

Would be interested in any opinions as to what they will sell for ?.

Currently there is a F8 and F41 listed on ebay ,both have been rejected by cgs for obvious reasons.

Right, doing my best Mystic Meg impression I can see a tall dark short-sighted stranger paying £750 for the F8 mule and £200 for that vile F41.

Right, doing my best Mystic Meg impression I can see a tall dark short-sighted stranger paying £750 for the F8 mule and £200 for that vile F41.

Cant see why he would of sent them to be slabbed.

Thanks Rash :D

post-509-0-62830200-1449355171_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-74068100-1449355187_thumb.jpg

The above F-14 was sold to a client a couple of years ago, and now I have purchased it back (he upgraded). The LCW under the foot is kind of a tough one to find. This coin has a really clear L in the LCW...most of these types the L looks like a "I".

There is also a really unusual die crack to the left of the date.

Edited by RLC35

Hi Bob, cracks on the F14 are very interesting.

Attached are 3 pictures of F14’s all with different reverse die cracks, one of which is the same as your own piece. These cracks are of course mutually exclusive, so this means that there must have been 3 different reverse dies used on this rare variety. I also think that the piece sold by Colin Cooke in the Crocker sale may be yet another F14 reverse, but my reference picture is not high enough grade to be sure. On that coin there seems to be a different flaw running between the ship and a border tooth to the right hand side.

Did any member happen to buy that coin and can put up pictures to confirm or otherwise?

post-8122-0-35896500-1449399186_thumb.jp

post-8122-0-88874200-1449399245_thumb.jp

post-8122-0-02556600-1449399264_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Alfnail,

Nice analysis of the reverse working dies of one of my favorite coins!

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

Unusual for me to acquire a penny, but I did today

1826_1d_01_cgs_78_uin_34845_1300.png

• Like 1

Thats obviously a LCA / CGS picture Paul

Its as you are aware got verd /problems IMO and although UNC was it sold already slabbed ?.

Thats obviously a LCA / CGS picture Paul

Its as you are aware got verd /problems IMO and although UNC was it sold already slabbed ?.

Hadn't spotted any verd problems Pete, I wouldn't have bid if I had - it just had eye appeal for me and was a good price imo ... yes, slabbed as CGS 78 ex NGC MS64 BN ... have I blundered here?

Edited by Paulus

Not at all if your happy its a nice coin.

Just looked like verd on the reverse at twenty five past that was active rather than the large spot on the obverse.

A nice coin in UNC.... IMO..... but as you know CGS tend to be strict.

Whats your opinion looking under a glass and tilting the coin under a light ?.

Not at all if your happy its a nice coin.

Just looked like verd on the reverse at twenty five past that was active rather than the large spot on the obverse.

A nice coin in UNC.... IMO..... but as you know CGS tend to be strict.

Whats your opinion looking under a glass and tilting the coin under a light ?.

Pete, goes without saying but I appreciate your honest opinions, one of the things I like about this Forum! Not got it in hand yet, it will arrive Tues/Weds I expect, when it will be closely examined! So too early to say whether I am happy yet ... most of my dabbles into copper / bronze in the past have been ill-advised, I should stick to what I know perhaps!

Well two grading companies have looked and they know a lot more than a beginner like me.

I probably get fussy when i send them to CGS as dont want to spend £25 to get them rejected.

Nice coin , will you be selling it ?.