British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

F10 vs F13 - Check the last colon of D:G: - points to gap on F13 and tooth on F10. Fabric rose (near V of VICTORIA) is complete on F13 but bottom half missing on F10.

As last resort - count the teeth ! (143 on F10; 138 on F13)

• Like 2

F10 vs F13 - Check the last colon of D:G: - points to gap on F13 and tooth on F10. Fabric rose (near V of VICTORIA) is complete on F13 but bottom half missing on F10.

As last resort - count the teeth ! (143 on F10; 138 on F13)

Thanks rash i did not no that indicator and quite a big difference.

Are you a dentist :o

• Like 1

Nice!

60/59 in there? If so, please take a picture!

Not me vicky as Colin cooke bought that one.

Original Colin helped me get the Adams specimen, still a nice coin...

Coming second on that one with a bid of £1500 still makes me wonder why I didn't bid a bit higher. It seems very cheap with hindsight, but then the world was looking quite rosy at the time, prices for coins were edging up slowly, everyone was making money and there wasn't a financial crisis on the horizon. Go forward 5 or 6 years and the price of a 60/59 to the collector had doubled, whilst half the banking industry was spending its spare cash on changes of corporate underwear. Go forward another 5 or 6 years and the price has trebled from 2003, all paid for by government QE.

Coming second on that one with a bid of £1500 still makes me wonder why I didn't bid a bit higher. It seems very cheap with hindsight, but then the world was looking quite rosy at the time, prices for coins were edging up slowly, everyone was making money and there wasn't a financial crisis on the horizon. Go forward 5 or 6 years and the price of a 60/59 to the collector had doubled, whilst half the banking industry was spending its spare cash on changes of corporate underwear. Go forward another 5 or 6 years and the price has trebled from 2003, all paid for by government QE.

It males you Wonder then at £4200 for the Spink coin plus the juice how much it will be listed for on the CC website

Rob, would you consider those two specimens near to each other in quality overall? As best I could tell the Spink specimen had a bit more lustre and the earlier piece possibly better struck....

I thought the Adams was well struck. Haven't looked at others since then as it isn't a must have piece. In the unlikely event of me having a spare £5K with nowhere to spend it, I might revisit the 60/59

I have an 1846 DEF Close Colon which is slabbed and graded PCGS MS63. I have been wondering whether to de-slab this piece so that I may check out what appears to be a small dot to the RHS of the T of GRATIA. I think the dot is actually on the coin rather than the slab, but cannot be certain without checking once out. If the dot is on the coin then I will be keeping it in my collection, but selling if it is on the slab because I do have a higher grade piece. I’m thinking, however, that by de-slabbing I may reduce the value when selling so just thought before doing so whether any forum member may be able to help by advising if they already have a piece with dot in same location. I have owned and seen many examples of this rarer type but never noticed this dot before. If anyone wishes me to add a picture of the reverse please let me know. Thanks all

post-8122-0-79371900-1443687868_thumb.jp

I wouldn't crack it out, but it certainly looks like a raised dot too me

• Like 1

It certainly looks like it's on the coin as opposed to the slab.

Deffo a dot.

Keep it.

Jerry

I have an 1846 DEF Close Colon which is slabbed and graded PCGS MS63. I have been wondering whether to de-slab this piece so that I may check out what appears to be a small dot to the RHS of the T of GRATIA. I think the dot is actually on the coin rather than the slab, but cannot be certain without checking once out. If the dot is on the coin then I will be keeping it in my collection, but selling if it is on the slab because I do have a higher grade piece. I’m thinking, however, that by de-slabbing I may reduce the value when selling so just thought before doing so whether any forum member may be able to help by advising if they already have a piece with dot in same location. I have owned and seen many examples of this rarer type but never noticed this dot before. If anyone wishes me to add a picture of the reverse please let me know. Thanks all

Lovely coin ian.I would say its a dot and although i know you dont like slabs no benefit to taking it out.

Thanks everyone, after nearly 10 years I was ready to crack this one open, but now it's back in the safe. Would still be good to know if any member actually has a piece with same dot, so if anyone happens to read this in years to come and has one of these coins then do please let me know. Just realising it's good to have a site like this to share views, will try to make more use and contribute in the future. P.S. There is a 60/59 on ebay.com at the moment, NGC AU58, but at £3,700 it seems too much to me, although I see he's taking offers.

• Like 1

I just love this date (60/59) but think that coin is more in the AU55 category and more likely that he should drop that by 500 quid.

If it's in eBay for £3500 there will be 10% fees. His price is obviously reflecting the additional 10%

Bought this at Spinks last week because thought may be a 'flying ship', and now examined it does seem to be that way i.e. lustre around the ship and then again beneath but above the waves seems to highlight it's flight! Also interesting obverse, think Gouby R as has re-cut fish, and score above LCWYON, but not sure about small tuft of hair (stage 7) and re-cut plaited hair (8) because 7 seems to be present, but 8 doesn't (Gouby S?). Also the obverse colon dots seem quite interesting as have had some work. Any thoughts please?

Still trying to get the hang of adding pictures, which will follow soon!

On the coin without a doubt. Colour and appearance, absolutely consistent with the coin and not the slab.

I recently purchased a 1937 proof that is 2+B.

After spending time searching they dont appear to be looked for and not scarce,there is one currently listed on ebay.

However they are not listed by Freeman and c.g.s. dont recognise them.

They are mentioned in David Grooms book who says "reports of obverse 2 being found".

Obviously they were only used for some sets and wondered weather anyone had checked for this variety on there own proofs.

Its was only cheap and the dealer had checked the one i bought.

Pete.

Returning to the 1860/59 discussion, attached my latest acquisition, also a digital microscope 130x close up of the over-date, following as a separate posting due to the 500Kb attachment limit.

post-8122-0-41161100-1444469610_thumb.jp

post-8122-0-21413900-1444469952_thumb.jp

Using exactly the same microscope setting of 130x I have taken shots of my two 1859 smaller numeral varieties and attach these as a combined picture, along with the 60/59 date inserted between them for comparison. You will see the Gouby B date style type at the top; the bottom variety is not currently documented by him, but seen from time to time.

When I looked at these 3 pictures side by side I felt that the bottom variety (which I call the narrow date) was a strong candidate for being overstruck with the 60, to create the 60/59 variety. You will notice that there are 3 good protrusions on the 60/59 which could be used to triangulate over the 59 narrow date………..these protrusions are highlighted in red arrows on the next attachment which I am about to post.

post-8122-0-94351900-1444479480_thumb.jp