British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The link works fine ;)

You can get it to say what you want by typing something anywhere in the middle of the link (like 'My Website') and then deleting the unwanted jargon around it. As long as the typed writing stays as a hyperlink there shouldn't be any issues!

Sadly, that doesn't work. I must have done something wrong. Pasting within the signature as described above doesn't work so I just typed in the ERL, and I can't rename it. I'll have to live with it.

See if this helps, just a quick walkthrough on how I did it. (pictures correspond to the points in order)

1) Once you're in the signature section, click on this symbol

2) Then paste your URL into the box

3) It should then show up like this

4) Click and type what you want it to say in the middle of the link

5) Delete the other information either side of what you've typed

Then it should just show as what you've typed in your signature..

post-8244-0-98862200-1442921019_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-93889100-1442921020_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-71838900-1442921021_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-15112600-1442921022_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-89556200-1442921023_thumb.jp

Edited by Nordle11

Thanks for your efforts to help but it's no go. When I type the URL in the box and try to click OK nothing happens. In fact the page goes dead and I have to alt+< to get out. Maybe I'll try in a different browser.

Ah yes, if you're using IE then it wont work, otherwise try Chrome, that works best for me

An 1886 variety first 8 over 8.

c.g.s. 22370

I've just bought a UNC 1886 penny, which it turms out is an 8 over 8. Does this carry a premium over the plain date type?

Eureka ! (I think)

Spot on! :P

Eureka ! (I think)

Well done Rash, works like a dream :)

Eureka ! (I think)

Well done Rash, works like a dream :)

Thanks everyone - Chrome was the answer !

c.g.s. 22370

I've just bought a UNC 1886 penny, which it turms out is an 8 over 8. Does this carry a premium over the plain date type?

Sorry dave i dont think so just a variety that is miniscule .It was just an impulse buy for me as i didnt have one.

Echoing the sentiments of others - indescribably good. You should write a book.

Yes, Michael Freeman offered it to me 3 years ago but I paid significantly less for it this time. Worth waiting for. He also sent me some useful background material last time.

Any more details than what we got in the thread about it?

Michael sent the coin to the Royal Mint in 2011 and they had it for 5 months before replying. Their reply was that the shape of the 6 was not consistent with UK coins of this period and that they consulted the die records for the 1920s and "nothing came to light which could have given rise to the striking of such a piece." That clearly is questionable given the variety of coins and die combinations that have emerged from that period. Michael suspects that they may not have spent much time investigating the coin. I think that he may well be right in that they are not much interested - when I wrote to them about my 1922 penny with M.E. obverse and 1927 reverse, they never replied apart from the initial promise to get back to me. Further prompts brought nothing. I guess they get many requests like this ???

Michael also sent it to Steve Hill at Baldwins who recommended the Mint enquiry. Stephen Lockett got his cataloguer (Paul Redford I assume) to examine the coin under a microscope and he said there was a trace of a number under the 6 but it was NOT a 7. Michael made many other points that support the view that it is not a 1927 penny that has been "doctored" after issue from the Mint. He wrote back to the Mint but there's no mention of a further response from them. It was enough to convince me that the penny is an experimental piece that was produced along with the other anomalies that I mention on my website. Heaven knows how they all "escaped" !

• Like 1

c.g.s. 22370

Sorry dave i dont think so just a variety that is miniscule .It was just an impulse buy for me as i didnt have one.

Oh well. I always live in hope.

Rashenley, I rarely find time to post these days but I do occasionally drop by to check what's happening. Seeing your collection and website stopped me in my tracks. Just fantastic! Also, clearly a work in progress so I can only imagine how it will develop given more time.

I'm wondering whether we've met at auctions in the past, though I've not been to one for a year or more? At the moment business and family give little time (and finance) for hobbies, but i may well return to the fold in the future. You're certainly setting the standard to aim for when, and if, I do return!

Rashenley, I rarely find time to post these days but I do occasionally drop by to check what's happening. Seeing your collection and website stopped me in my tracks. Just fantastic! Also, clearly a work in progress so I can only imagine how it will develop given more time.

I'm wondering whether we've met at auctions in the past, though I've not been to one for a year or more? At the moment business and family give little time (and finance) for hobbies, but i may well return to the fold in the future. You're certainly setting the standard to aim for when, and if, I do return!

That's a pretty high accolade in my book Rash! :) :) :) :)

And great to see you on posting on here Steve :) :) :) :)

And we can heap it on: this is really such a fine collection you've put together that it has nearly intimidated the rest of us (well, speak for myself). The attention to detail and getting off into the various types really great stuff.

Steve, we met at LCA at Bracknell a few years ago and you showed me your website - that was what set the spark that has finally ignited !!!!

Steve, we met at LCA at Bracknell a few years ago and you showed me your website - that was what set the spark that has finally ignited !!!!

Brilliant! :D

After all the expensive pennies over the last couple of days Andy scott collection and coinex its nice to pick up a cheap one.

Just a 1953 proof from the sets ,cheap and cheerful .

C.g.s. 8890.

Pete.

• Like 1

Pete's penny. Strangley the pictures have different hues..

post-8244-0-21859200-1443258970_thumb.jp

Not having any books to hand.

Can anyone give me a main indicator with regards F10 and F13 stuggling to tell any difference.

Pete.

F8 and 9 are mules so f10 must be the 2+D (2 will be the LCWYON on the shoulder with the gap between the rose and the end visible) f13 must be 3+D where gap is not visible and LCWYON is marginally lower in comparison to obv x55b3n.jpg2.

Still hard to tell.

Thanks Gary will have a closer look under a glass.

My purchases arrived from spink today,nice to have them in a large flip and adds to the provenance.

Nice!

60/59 in there? If so, please take a picture!