British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Unbelievable breadth to that collection Henley! I noted that the just-sold-at-Heritage 1926 ME penny is included....

Yes, Michael Freeman offered it to me 3 years ago but I paid significantly less for it this time. Worth waiting for. He also sent me some useful background material last time.

Very very impressive collection and web site Rash, glad to see you have got the hang of Word Press! :) :)

Thanks for the compliments, guys, but it will probably only serve to increase my sad obsession !

It would better be described as a magnificent obsession.

Freeman doesn't differentiate between Gouby A and B. The big difference which you can only see on unworn specimens is in the engraving on Victoria's cape. On obverse A the stem of the upper right clover leaf is long and stretches down to the rose on the left. On obverse B, the stems of the two top right clover join below them at the top of the third clover leaf. The clover leaves are smaller on obverse B. Gouby then goes on to note 2 minor variations in obverse A - one where the R & E of REG touch at the bottom and the other where R is rotated slightly so that its toe is a little below the back of the E. Pretty geeky stuff ! But the Ebay coin is clearly an obverse A.

If you want to see pictures, take a look at my collection website which I'm putting together (thanks to members who have given me tips)

Address is www.englishpennies.wordpress.com

Freeman 763 is one of the more common examples of the early beaded patterns but still a rare coin.

Absolutely stunning collection.

Agree with all the above statements, Rash that is definately a truly magnificent collection and something I will most certainly be using as a point of reference. Thanks for sharing.

Rash,

Thanks for sharing your collection with the Forum. It is indeed a pleasure to admire the detail included.

All the Best,

Bob

Second and third everything said about that collection, Rash, it's incredible and certainly now my new go to for pictures (along with Steve's site)

I like the theme you went with too ;) great minds eh?

Thanks Nordle for the compliments and advice - absolutely agree about the Wordpress theme ( I did try others but this one seemed to work the best. It's not the flashiest but very easy to work with and the content is the key).

That was the key for me, too. Some might look a little better but the functionality and sheer amount of users (i.e help and info) that's out there trumps all others.

Plus it's free, which really helps when you just want somewhere to display your coin pictures.

Anyway, a simple layout is all that's needed when you have content like yours! I've been going through your coins throughout the day today, it's been really good to see such an extensive collection along with Freeman numbers and the occasional note for interesting points :)

Thanks again. I've just made a mental decision to go through the bronze pennies (particularly Victoria) and change all the obverse/reverse descriptions to include Freeman's descriptions as so many people still use them. Thus an 1860 F10 would be described as 1860 F10 (Gouby D+d; Freeman 2+D). It might be more useful ?

Would also help people who have not read the recent posts to put your link up as nordle above.

Thank you again for putting together the site and a superb reference.

PWA - I'm not sure how to do that (short of typing it in every time ?). I'm sure some kind soul will assist !

PWA - I'm not sure how to do that (short of typing it in every time ?). I'm sure some kind soul will assist !

Go to your Profile, click 'Edit My Profile', then 'Signature', and paste in the URL ;)

Edited by Paulus

Thanks again. I've just made a mental decision to go through the bronze pennies (particularly Victoria) and change all the obverse/reverse descriptions to include Freeman's descriptions as so many people still use them. Thus an 1860 F10 would be described as 1860 F10 (Gouby D+d; Freeman 2+D). It might be more useful ?

I would use the Freeman, Gouby, Peck, Bramah, etc., catalog numbers & descriptions, as do most auctions.

Where one lists a specific variety and the others do not, use the basic type and

list the specific variant as a descriptor.

Eventually, as the website approaches a certain point, it can be used as a starting point for a new reference volume with Hi-Definition images and descriptions. As no collection will ever be fully complete, this can and probably should be a joint venture with some other high grade collections.

Hopefully the goal would be to include images and references of ALL known varieties. A population census would be nice too but would be outdated before publication.

Put me down for the first copy.....

PS: Magnificent presentation...

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

Would be very useful indeed!

The only other thing I take note of too is the rarity as defined by Freeman because it gives a general idea of the quantity out there. Adding anything now is a challenge anyway because of the sheer number of coins you have, but as it stands it's still an amazing reference for penny collectors!

• Like 1

Would be very useful indeed!

The only other thing I take note of too is the rarity as defined by Freeman because it gives a general idea of the quantity out there. Adding anything now is a challenge anyway because of the sheer number of coins you have, but as it stands it's still an amazing reference for penny collectors!

It would have to be adjusted to reflect new discoveries of known to him varieties plus census/estimated rarity of "not in Freeman" varieties (i.e.: Gouby varieties, etc.).. John Jerrams made a notable attempt in his SATIN reference, however as that was many years ago, even that is now outdated...

• Like 1

Gulp

Amazing :)

Do we have a drool button for that 1861 bronzed copper proof, what colour :)

This is just a test post to see whether I have successfully added the website link to my signature. If not, Help !!!!!!

This is just a test post to see whether I have successfully added the website link to my signature. If not, Help !!!!!!

Hi Rash, if you had you would see it yourself at the bottom of your post ... did you paste the URL into your signature and save?

Echoing the sentiments of others - indescribably good. You should write a book.

Yes, Michael Freeman offered it to me 3 years ago but I paid significantly less for it this time. Worth waiting for. He also sent me some useful background material last time.

Any more details than what we got in the thread about it?

still can't get it in there as a link. Anyone help please ?

Type the URL, then highlight it, then click on 9th button along on the second row (the chain links with the green plus) then paste in the URL. I think.