British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Does not seem to be much happening on the forum recently.

One that is toned which normally i would keep away from as its really dark and the photo not the best.

IMO is a nice even tone and a nice strike.

1861 F22 4+D and again c.g.s. 4231

Pete.

Pretty rare coin in top grade but it can catapult to an extreme rarity if the fishtail is messed with. The photos are not so clear but worth checking Pete.

Well done you

Thanks jac,i dont keep the coins here so will have a look next time i get chance.

Hi all,

two new Ebay purchases in the post this morning for your delectation (or otherwise);

Firstly a rather nice 1867 with plenty of lustre, very nice in the hand. £130

And secondly, I hope, an F21 1861 penny. Somebody else rated it too, as it shot up from twenty quid to £410 in the final seconds. R18 in Freeman.

Jerry

PS looking forward to the 'Midland' on Sunday

post-8585-0-19870000-1438713566_thumb.jp

post-8585-0-64045300-1438713583_thumb.jp

post-8585-0-41023700-1438713725_thumb.jp

post-8585-0-28936200-1438713745_thumb.jp

On fire Jerry! Enjoy the fair...pass on my regards to Rob! Make sure you've got plenty of time on your hands as Rob is a walking numismatic encyclopedia. Which means, unless you're bent double with a library on your back, he's very difficult to counter! ;)

The 1867 penny was a brilliant Buy, but the 1861 penny pictured is a Freeman 29, dies obverse 6 with reverse D, not Freeman 21.

I do believe the bronze penny is enjoying something of a comeback on here recently! :o:ph34r:

On fire Jerry! Enjoy the fair...pass on my regards to Rob! Make sure you've got plenty of time on your hands as Rob is a walking numismatic encyclopedia. Which means, unless you're bent double with a library on your back, he's very difficult to counter! ;)

Rob won't be there.

I've been told I'm having a short break. :huh: Didn't see that coming.

The 1867 penny was a brilliant Buy, but the 1861 penny pictured is a Freeman 29, dies obverse 6 with reverse D, not Freeman 21.

OOOOPS :(

Rob won't be there.

I've been told I'm having a short break. :huh: Didn't see that coming.

Enjoy the break! Can't be all bad if she-in-doors is arranging it? :)

Not obverse 6, has L C Wyon on bust; better look again!

Obverse 3 Rev D

Jerry

Though I agree doesnt show on the scan, strangely! Will post a pic in a mo.

I put the wrong obverse on! What an a*se I am, in a hurry to get to Quiz night at the pub! (did awfully).

Anyhow, lets try again.

F21 I hope this time;

Jerry

post-8585-0-06969200-1438728575_thumb.jp

post-8585-0-52418200-1438728605_thumb.jp

post-8585-0-11306300-1438728653_thumb.jp

Was this on ebay recently?

Within the last couple of weeks, but from overseas.

Jerry

I had a feeling that you featured the wrong picture, that is why I said "the penny pictured" indicated it was a Freeman 29.

Very nice coin... Well done !

Thanks, Bernie. Out of interest, the reverse die used on this coin is extremely worn, with little fine detail remaining, as was one shown by Dave (Azda) on this forum several years ago. I wonder whether the die was declared 'unfit for purpose' fairly early in its use in this pairing, hence the rarity? Have any members seen this combination with a 'crisp' reverse die?

Jerry

Thanks, Bernie. Out of interest, the reverse die used on this coin is extremely worn, with little fine detail remaining, as was one shown by Dave (Azda) on this forum several years ago. I wonder whether the die was declared 'unfit for purpose' fairly early in its use in this pairing, hence the rarity? Have any members seen this combination with a 'crisp' reverse die?

Jerry

There were two slightly different reverse D die designs. From what I have seen, most 1861 3+D pennies were struck with the one of the two reverse D die designs that have no curved line rising up from the exergual line to the shield. The D Dies without this line tended to give a weaker looking strike. This applies to 1860 pennies also. One of the best 1861 3+D reverse pictures that I have has the curved line, I will try to attach. I will also try to attach a picture of the reverse D without the curved line. Your coin appears to be the type without the curved line.

post-5652-0-95733900-1438812043_thumb.jp

post-5652-0-49027700-1438812060_thumb.jp

Thanks Bernie, fascinating, never knew that, now I'm going to have to look for Reverse d varieties! At least not too expensive. I've got a long way to go to be a 'real' Penny expert.

Jerry

Your own discoveries plus the info on this forum and you are an expert. :)

Great obverse ghosting in the reverse field too. I love that. :)

There were two slightly different reverse D die designs. From what I have seen, most 1861 3+D pennies were struck with the one of the two reverse D die designs that have no curved line rising up from the exergual line to the shield. The D Dies without this line tended to give a weaker looking strike. This applies to 1860 pennies also. One of the best 1861 3+D reverse pictures that I have has the curved line, I will try to attach. I will also try to attach a picture of the reverse D without the curved line. Your coin appears to be the type without the curved line.

Quite by chance I came across this article (the last article - fifth page from the bottom): http://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital%20BNJ/pdfs/2006_BNJ_76_2_7.pdf

It discusses a few varieties of reverse D.

• Like 1

Thanks Mr T, that's one I'm keeping for reference!

Jerry

• Like 1