British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Pete, Have swapped one of the F76s with Jac happy to swap the other with you but it's not in great condition.

Having seen your coins this one will fall flat on pedigree :)

Will IM the photos to you when I reach UK. We can swap if you are interested.

Edited by Prax

Anyone seen the 1867/77 penny on Fleabay?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301240989167?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by Prax

why would anyone need 11 pictures?

Hi Prax, here are my totals for the 4x 1874's

F69 6+I I have 3, 1 in good VF, 1 in fine and 1 in poor

F76 7+I I have 1 in poor

F77 8+G I have 4, 1 in aFine and 1 in fair with 11 1/2 teeth date and 2 in poor with 12 teeth date

F78 8+H I have 1 in poor

Hi Prax, here are my totals for the 4x 1874's

F69 6+I I have 3, 1 in good VF, 1 in fine and 1 in poor

F76 7+I I have 1 in poor

F77 8+G I have 4, 1 in aFine and 1 in fair with 11 1/2 teeth date and 2 in poor with 12 teeth date

F78 8+H I have 1 in poor

Many thanks. I have added your contribution to the spreadsheet.

Freeman's survey results are published in his first book The Victorian Bronze Penny (1860-1901). The was privately published by Freeman in 1964 (and again in 1966 as a second edition, which was essentially the same). The survey covered some 50,000 circulated Victorian bronze pennies, of which 15,653 were bun pennies with readable dates. These were mostly acquired via an arrangement where Freeman went through coins collected by a Scottish bus company. This helped insure that they were a fairly random sample of coins that were in circulation before the great interest in pre-decimal pennies that started with decimalization. This is by far the largest survey conducted that I know of, and can never be repeated.

So besides Freeman and V.R. Court there aren't any other penny surveys of interest?

Mr T let's start our own :)

Excellent idea.

I hope Mrs Peter does not see this thread :rolleyes:

The dining room is Dad's coin room as I escape from Eastender's and listen to some Classic and a bit of Punk.

I remember in 1977 The Clash came to Bury St Eds and the local press announced couples were fornicating on the floor,,,,on the ceiling would of been much more fun.

Saw this too, nothing top, top grade, but a lot of nicely toned bun pennies... and a ton of sovereigns!

Edited by Nordle11

Except that "proof" 1839 1/2d. Where did the designation come from?

Except that "proof" 1839 1/2d. Where did the designation come from?

39 is a proof only year for the halfpenny and penny. Only coppers struck were farthings et infra for this year.

Good point Rob, the coin is ugly and IMO on its own merits shows scant sign of being a proof at one time...

Good for a bottom fisher though. An 1839 halfpenny in acceptable grade would set you back £400 minimum these days.

I'd like to meet the genius who'd pay £600 for this

http://www.baldwin.co.uk/coins/great-britain/great-britain-copper-and-bronze/rare-good-ef-1865-bun-penny.html?usrc=1

I have enough pennies to sell him, which perhaps would confer upon me the privilege of becoming a buyer at the future Baldwin's sale

Wow, verd is taking hold there....As a side note, I have noticed before that Baldwin's does not always do justice to their coins with less than average photographs. Not like some of the other "glitzy" auction houses where the coin you receive does not seem to measure up to the picture.

Is that a pro or a con for you VS?

Bad pictures will put you off even bidding in the first place, and a coin that's not as great in hand is such a let down, especially when you bid accordingly..

Not on this coin, but def. on some others. Many of the Gregory sale coppers were quite lovely (tho not all!).

There were 3 pennies for sale in the Baldwin's sale
#214 - 1860 lcw below foot which sold for £2640 including premium
#215 - 1865 normal F50 - unsold with a reserve of £1000
#217 - 1870 pattern coronet which sold for £4500 including premium

I have been following the discussions on how the Baldwin's sale is drawing extra premiums for normal coins and I am wondering why. Granted that the 1870 and 1860 coins are rare but neither (my personal opinion) is as rare as the amount it sold for. As for the 1865 penny with a £1000 reserve I am beginning to wonder which planet these people are from.

The 1870 is very rare no doubt but some coronets have sold for just over £2500 recently - the 1862 with a similar rarity sold for £1600 a few years back http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&auc=112&searchlot=1197&searchtype=2 the bronze variant sold for £2500 http://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-victoria-bronze-pattern-penny-1862-/a/3004-21420.s The Spink lcw below foot which was much better than the Baldwin's example sold for £1800
I also doubt if the vendors came-up with such unrealistic reserves and I am starting to get the feeling that Baldwin's are attempting to add a new dimension to coins they sell. Just like we have rarity and provenance, are Baldwin's stamping their brand over coins sold by them and expecting a premium for the favour?

I have been following the discussions on how the Baldwin's sale is drawing extra premiums for normal coins and I am wondering why. Granted that the 1870 and 1860 coins are rare but neither (my personal opinion) is as rare as the amount it sold for. As for the 1865 penny with a £1000 reserve I am beginning to wonder which planet these people are from.

The 1870 is very rare no doubt but some coronets have sold for just over £2500 recently - the 1862 with a similar rarity sold for £1600 a few years back http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&auc=112&searchlot=1197&searchtype=2 the bronze variant sold for £2500 http://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-victoria-bronze-pattern-penny-1862-/a/3004-21420.s The Spink lcw below foot which was much better than the Baldwin's example sold for £1800

I also doubt if the vendors came-up with such unrealistic reserves and I am starting to get the feeling that Baldwin's are attempting to add a new dimension to coins they sell. Just like we have rarity and provenance, are Baldwin's stamping their brand over coins sold by them and expecting a premium for the favour?

I suspect they are trying to bracket them as 'investment coins' given the way Stanley Gibbons are developing their rare coin indices and pushing coins as an alternative investment. Keeping the prices high would be an integral part of this strategy.

I suspect they are trying to bracket them as 'investment coins' given the way Stanley Gibbons are developing their rare coin indices and pushing coins as an alternative investment. Keeping the prices high would be an integral part of this strategy.

Very plausible and I agree with you Rob, but good luck to them if they want to pose a 1865 penny as an investment grade asset.

This thread seems to have gone a bit quiet.

I like the obverse on one i have though its cgs 31954.

1865 F50

Certainly a nice coin PWA, on both sides that is.

:)

That's a beauty. Is that urs Pete?

343httt.png

Thanks jac ,yes its one i bought off neil paisley and had slabbed.

This thread seems to have gone a bit quiet.

I like the obverse on one i have though its cgs 31954.

1865 F50

Lovely coin Pete. I like this tread too. Needs resurrection.

I will post pics of a few coins I have recently acquired ex Jackson

zwayd0.png