British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Here's one for me that arrived a few days ago, courtesy of Mr. Magee..

post-8244-0-33723800-1430138519_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-07598800-1430138552_thumb.jp

• Like 1

The latestcoi news digital arrived in my inbox today andthis month they have given pennyprixes, a different denomination each month, the 1904 in UNC was rated at £185

Wow really, I'd say a lot lower than that, maybe with buyer's premium and tax but that's a hefty figure..

I've seen a few stunners go up to about 125 but not much more.

Do they use auction house statistics only do you know?

The 1926 penny is a very under-rated year and you seem to have bagged a very high grade dolly there.

Edited by Prax

The 1926 penny is a very under-rated year and you seem to have bagged a very high grade dolly there.

Edited by Prax

The 1926 penny is a very under-rated year and you seemed to have bagged a very high grade dolly there.

Think nordle has been saving the hardest ones till last.

• Like 1

Good purchase Nordle, really nice example. I've always had good luck with coins from Declan also. :)

Edited by RLC35

Not sure where their figures are from but i've artached part of the digital copy for you too see

post-5057-0-90430100-1430150114_thumb.jp

The latestcoi news digital arrived in my inbox today andthis month they have given pennyprixes, a different denomination each month, the 1904 in UNC was rated at £185

£185 for a proper UNC (PCGS/NGC 65 RD and above) sounds realistic. How can one subscribe to Coin News? Perhaps one needs to be a member of BNTA?

Lol, errr no Prax, just log onto their website and subscribe. Also UNC is UNC in English by English auction houses, graders and dealers

www.tokenpublishing.com

Edited by azda

Well there you have it, it certainly would have to look like it just came out of the collar for me to fork over 185 though..

And thanks for the kind words on the '26, it really is top notch and even nicer in hand. I am going easiest to hardest in a way, just working my way backwards from 1967 :)

Well there you have it, it certainly would have to look like it just came out of the collar for me to fork over 185 though..

And thanks for the kind words on the '26, it really is top notch and even nicer in hand. I am going easiest to hardest in a way, just working my way backwards from 1967 :)

How did you get past 1954, 1952, 1937 (Ed.8) and finally 1933? You've already done the hard work. :)

• Haha 1

This was my 1904

P4190460.jpgö

P4190461.jpg

Edited by azda

Nice, how much and when?

@Rob - :ph34r:

Just thought i would look how much i paid for mine and that was £90 nearly two years ago.Makes me think you will probably have to pay about that for a decent one if not more.

Yeah for sure, I was expecting to pay something just over the 100 mark for a good example. I waited a year for that ´26 so hopefully something comes up soon! :)

Nice, how much and when?

@Rob - :ph34r:

It was bought maybe 3 years ago during my penny phsae, since sold it i think lol, price, i think around the £60 mark

P4200443.jpg

P4200442.jpg

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

Sadly the £3 possible 'open 3' 1863 on Ebay turned out to be just another photo illusion, however here is one that I got for a fiver at the last midland coin fair.

Just how common is this type ? Is it simply a case of them not previously being recognized, but being fairly plentiful in reality? Or are they truly as scarce as LCA prices might suggest? I have found two over the past 4 months, a 2 Euro one on Ebay and the one above, neither better than VG condition, but I hold out hopes of one in fine or better eventually. Have the other penny buffs on this forum come across them?

Jerry

post-8585-0-16891100-1430230100_thumb.jp

post-8585-0-97909600-1430230112_thumb.jp

Sorry in answer to your first question think they are scarce but seem to now be turning up more often as more people such as yourself start looking for them.

With regards L.C.A. strong possibility the are hyping them up , as more are found the prices drop.There is obviously a lot more than the six in the satin book fifteen years ago.

Sadly the £3 possible 'open 3' 1863 on Ebay turned out to be just another photo illusion, however here is one that I got for a fiver at the last midland coin fair.

Just how common is this type ? Is it simply a case of them not previously being recognized, but being fairly plentiful in reality? Or are they truly as scarce as LCA prices might suggest? I have found two over the past 4 months, a 2 Euro one on Ebay and the one above, neither better than VG condition, but I hold out hopes of one in fine or better eventually. Have the other penny buffs on this forum come across them?

Jerry

Michael Gouby has a uncirculated 1863, open 3, but it isn't for sale!

Jerry,

Still a scarce coin. I have seen a fair few in grades below F and very few in grades above VF.

Good find you. Can't beat a fiver. If I were u I would have paid 10 times that for the coin and still felt satisfied with my purchase.

P

I am definately suspicious of this or the narrow 7s, etc. only being rarity by virtue of many being overlooked. I don' t even care to add one to my own penny collection - in case you didn't get it, I rather dislike the "hypervarietals". OK, I admit I do have a fair stash of 1864 serif and crosslet 4 pennies. Maybe I'll get around to posting a couple...

I don' t even care to add one to my own penny collection - in case you didn't get it, I rather dislike the "hypervarietals".

While I agree on the case of the open 3, the narrow date 1877 is a distinct reverse isn't it?

Got me there! Still don't believe these are worth more than a choice 1864, let alone an 1882 London...