British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

it looks like its been struck from a cracked die on the Rev theres a raised line on the legend of penny, obv looks ok to me

Me thinks you are getting too picky. If this example has a cracked die there would be plenty more with the same perhaps most of them who knows?

The point is it is a low tide penny which is considerably less common than the high tide type.

Still an expensive coin

Me thinks you are getting too picky. If this example has a cracked die there would be plenty more with the same perhaps most of them who knows?

The point is it is a low tide penny which is considerably less common than the high tide type.

Considerably less common, yes - but neither is rare. And the LT shows up quite often in high grade as it was the first issue of a new monarch and more were therefore put aside.

Still an expensive coin

I would've expected this kind of price, to be honest. Will be interesting to see what it realises!

We will know tomorrow but I am with azda.

he did well there. 9 bidders, if it were a BIN it would still be unsold, probably at that price,

I've sold 3 over £200 in the last 18 months, 1 on eBay! I genuinely think that's what they're fetching nowadays? The Spink catalogue supports those figures which, I'm guessing, to be a reasonable reflection, given its own specific listing within the guide?

Nice coin....price seems about right....I would question the UNC grading as Britannia's boobs have been rubbed a bit...not in a good way....but still a good coin.

I'm looking for a 1915 penny in lustrous UNC......and have been looking for a while.....preferably under £50 but would consider more for a top example. Not at all easy IMO, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

• Like 1

Re this lot https://www.spink.com/lot-description.aspx?id=14007000847

Does anyone know what the bold 2 that the auctioner is referring to here is please?

To me it seems like a normal coin and all the books I have referred to Peck/Freeman/Gouby do not mention about a bold 2.

1915 UNC with 70% lustre selling at Dave Craddock coins for £30

Tel. 0121 7732259

Yes Bernie, thanks.....some coincidence - a few minutes after I posted the request, I received Davids list! hopefully it's already on it's way.

I tell you, error, this is the world's best coin forum! Ain't it just? :)

I tell you, error, this is the world's best coin forum! Ain't it just? :)

Friendly too (in real life too) - you should see the snobs you get on some of the American forums.

Goodeve All,

Acquired a 1902 and a 1922 filled 2 in date pennies today.

I am aware of the filled 2 in 1922 but the 1902 is new to me.

Here is a pic of the 2 filled along http://i.imgur.com/K7DtYJI.jpg side a normal 2 penny http://i.imgur.com/fzaqwA1.jpg. I have compared about 30 1902 pennies mostly in VF grade to the new specimen (which is a low tide) and did not find any which resembled the filled 2.

On a related note does anyone have a recent sale price for a 1922 filled 2 please?

Regards,

Prax

Does this filled 2 warrant a premium? :blink:

Pennies? The moment it's catalogued, and only 3 are known exist, and it's proven (either way) to be hitherto a common feature or, ideally, uncommon feature? :) Edited by Coinery

Does this filled 2 warrant a premium? :blink:

The 1922 came with a mega premium. The 1902 was affordable (£40 on top of the cost of a AU lowtide).

This is where I've lost the plot. I would feel embarrassed asking for a higher price for a natural die degradation feature. Maybe a spectacular flaw would warrant a bit extra, but die fill? Or more accurately in this case, the removal of a bit of die within the 2. Crazy.

• Like 2