British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
thehaworthites

1935 Crown

Hi. I've recently acquired a 1935 crown with raised edge lettering. It is most definitely a much better strike than a standard crown.

I have spinks 2014 coins of England and it lists only the proof with raised edge lettering. Did the specimen strike have raised or incuse edge lettering?

The coin is sadly fairly tarnished but has a slightly frosted cameo, and having not come across either specimen or proof before I am unsure or which of the two it is likely to be, if anyone can help?

Many thanks

Richard

The specimen has incuse lettering. As far as I'm aware, the only type with raised lettering is the sterling silver proof.

Hi Nick, many thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case as normally spinks book is quite good for that sort of thing, but always worth a second opinion. Was a bit of a find so am chuffed :)

Hi Nick, many thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case as normally spinks book is quite good for that sort of thing, but always worth a second opinion. Was a bit of a find so am chuffed :)

If you got it for the price of a specimen, then it is an excellent find.

Actually got it for the price of a standard crown ;)

Even better!

I have a question - what is the best way to distinguish the specimen rocking horse crown from the standard issue?

I have a question - what is the best way to distinguish the specimen rocking horse crown from the standard issue?

The best way to spot the specimen is from its semi-prooflike appearance. It also has a better strike than most currency pieces.