British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Moneda

1892 Victoria Widow Head Sovereign

Hi

I have just bought an 1892 full sovereign. I now suspect it is a fake as it has the Widow/Old head and after

checking in various books it would appear that the Widow head didn't start until 1893.

The diameter,weight and colour all appear to be correct but the edge milling looks a bit faint compared

to other sovereigns I have and there is some very slight surface pitting on the reverse .

Can anybody shed any light on this for me?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi

I have just bought an 1892 full sovereign. I now suspect it is a fake as it has the Widow/Old head and after

checking in various books it would appear that the Widow head didn't start until 1893.

The diameter,weight and colour all appear to be correct but the edge milling looks a bit faint compared

to other sovereigns I have and there is some very slight surface pitting on the reverse .

Can anybody shed any light on this for me?

Many thanks in advance.

It will be fake but probably a lower carot gold.

• Like 1

I would have sent it to the mint to confirm. Their service is free and impartial. If it were real and a new variety then imagine what you have missed. I would be skeptical on ebay but when I have purchased it as genuine from a reputed jeweler or from an auction house that listed the coin as genuine and I still have the receipt (so many ands), I would have taken a chance. As with the reputable dealers you can go back with the receipt and request an explanation :-)

The coin shop I bought it from have exchanged it for a genuine 1900 Sovereign.

You bought it from a coin shop???

Lol @ Declan