British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Prax

NGC Grading

True, but colour is quite variably reproduced. One example was the now almost-famous Spink New York sale of Pennies wherein many suffered from rather poor underrepresentation in the pictures - much to the delight of bidders who did participate!

Maybe, but even a poor picture beats the initials "red brown". I mean, for heaven's sake! Every single (just about) Vicky copper is a red-brown colour, even when worn to hell. It's meaningless.

Apart from the polished ones which appear on ebay that is. Lovely and shiny bright :D. Which initials would be best used to describe the colour of those?…….

Apart from the polished ones which appear on ebay that is. Lovely and shiny bright :D. Which initials would be best used to describe the colour of those?.

Perhaps an abbreviation of shiny bright? Something like ... SHIGHT would do, no?

• Like 2

Apart from the polished ones which appear on ebay that is. Lovely and shiny bright :D. Which initials would be best used to describe the colour of those?.

Perhaps an abbreviation of shiny bright? Something like ... SHIGHT would do, no?

Excellent!

Rather devolving the response I should say. I would say if you do not know the appearance connoted by the nomenclature that it would be ignorance to lump it all together. We are talking about mint state or near calibre of coins. This is not to say that in hand appraisal is not the best but if you bother to study you will see there is some consistency to what Red Brown is and that it applies to higher graded coins - not just any polished bit of cr--.

Sometimes call it making that one does not appreciate a straw dummy and beat on that rather than taking the real thing on, I should say.

The variance is far greater when it comes to what even members of this board call GEF or aEF or other such

Honestly MR, where do you go with mocking responses such as that anyway?

Rather devolving the response I should say. I would say if you do not know the appearance connoted by the nomenclature that it would be ignorance to lump it all together. We are talking about mint state or near calibre of coins. This is not to say that in hand appraisal is not the best but if you bother to study you will see there is some consistency to what Red Brown is and that it applies to higher graded coins - not just any polished bit of cr--.

Sometimes call it making that one does not appreciate a straw dummy and beat on that rather than taking the real thing on, I should say.

The variance is far greater when it comes to what even members of this board call GEF or aEF or other such

Honestly MR, where do you go with mocking responses such as that anyway?

But.. but.. not all mint or near-mint coins are "red brown"!!! They could be an even brown colour, have a patination that could be just about any colour, some with lustre, some without.. just the term "red brown" is completely meaningless! What relevance is the colour of the coin to its condition?? Lustrousness, toning, patination, evenness of appearance - these are all much relevant than just the colour!!!!

'Limited to 20 students...be sure you don't miss out!'

WTF

grand ma sucking eggs?

Absolute dicks.

I will NEVER slab a coin.

If you don't know what you have maybe you are in the wrong game.