British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Prax

NGC Grading

Comrades,

I have been considering sending about 20 pennies from my collection to NGC for grading. I am in London and intend sending them to the USA. Has anyone done this before? Anything I should be aware of?

Enjoy your weekend and many thanks in advance.

I believe you can submit via a dealer in London?

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/dealer-listing.aspx?services=assists-collectors-with-submissions

And I presume you know about these guys?

http://www.coingradingservices.co.uk/

You might find they will recognise varieties better than a US TPGS.

Edited by TomGoodheart
  • Like 1

Thanks for that. I did email that dealer a few weeks back did not get to hear from him. I called him but kept reaching his voicemail. I will try again on Monday,

I have heard of CGS, in fact they have graded about 30 of my coins including my (ex) slender 3 1863. This time though I want to send some of my coins to NGC so that I have some experience submitting coins to NGC as well.

Many thanks for the information.

You will probably get stung for import duty when the coins are returned from the US.

Hi Peter, I am informed that you can mark your coin as export to be re-imported and then all is well with customs.

To be honest i think to insure that amount of coins in both directions you'd be better sending them to CGS, IMO ESPECIALLY at this time of year full insurance would be a must. Why send so many when you could also send just 1 for the experience and the rest to CGS?

To be honest i think to insure that amount of coins in both directions you'd be better sending them to CGS, IMO ESPECIALLY at this time of year full insurance would be a must. Why send so many when you could also send just 1 for the experience and the rest to CGS?

This is a point which crossed my mind, as you would definitely need a courier, now the PO offer of overseas insurance is massively reduced.

Dear David, I will be honest with you. I am very content with CGS but after having coins graded by CGS for about 5 years I noticed that being a penny collector their not indicating whether a coin is a RD or RB or BN makes a significant difference when it comes to selling the coins on through non face to face means. This is the reason why I am contemplating sending my pennies to NGC. I have been in touch with some people but it looks like hardly anyone has directly taken up the route that I want to persue. PCGS is an option as their offices are in Paris and there are loads of dealers who can help with this, but the problem is all taken into account it costs about £ 35 per coin which is a bit too dear when the coins I want to grade are in the region of £250 - £300 as opposed to NGCs £ 20 plus or minus £ 2.

@Coinery FedEx is a must from the looks of it (£65 each way I am told ouch!!!!)

On that point anyone no of any other postal service that ships fully insured?

Mark

fedex

On that point anyone no of any other postal service that ships fully insured?

Mark

Fedex

• Like 1

Dear David, I will be honest with you. I am very content with CGS but after having coins graded by CGS for about 5 years I noticed that being a penny collector their not indicating whether a coin is a RD or RB or BN makes a significant difference when it comes to selling the coins on through non face to face means. This is the reason why I am contemplating sending my pennies to NGC. I have been in touch with some people but it looks like hardly anyone has directly taken up the route that I want to persue. PCGS is an option as their offices are in Paris and there are loads of dealers who can help with this, but the problem is all taken into account it costs about £ 35 per coin which is a bit too dear when the coins I want to grade are in the region of £250 - £300 as opposed to NGCs £ 20 plus or minus £ 2.

Scuse my ignorance, but what on earth is that?

You will probably get stung for import duty when the coins are returned from the US.

I believe there is a time limit, without dig it up I believe it is 6 months. If within the limit I believe you would avoid the duty. It does involve some paperwork and is more designed for sending items for rpair etc.

The RD, RB and BN is 99% for the Americans who are All but lazy, these are pennies and IMO not a huge fanbase for them over there because as soon as they get slabbed like that by NGC Or PCGS they are then put On ebay AT massives inflated prices and even Then the Brits won't go Near them either due To price.

On the subject of NGCS, There i's an office Here in Munich and they will arrange everything from postage and customs forms etc, with a 6 week turnaround. If you become a member at the $200 entry level you get 5 free gradings.

The RD, RB and BN is 99% for the Americans who are All but lazy, these are pennies and IMO not a huge fanbase for them over there because as soon as they get slabbed like that by NGC Or PCGS they are then put On ebay AT massives inflated prices and even Then the Brits won't go Near them either due To price.

On the subject of NGCS, There i's an office Here in Munich and they will arrange everything from postage and customs forms etc, with a 6 week turnaround. If you become a member at the $200 entry level you get 5 free gradings.

Uh, surely you mean they charge you $40 for each of the first 5 coins and then however much per coin the the normal rate is after that? What are the benefits of membership? The entitlement to spend money with them?

It is a measure of eye appeal that is it is an indication of whether a coin is RD (red), RB (red brown) or BN (brown). I have noticed that a coin that grades for MS 66 BN sells for almost the same price as MS 64 RB or a MS 62 RD. Now you can see why it is not just the number but the eye appeal quotient (you got to love Yankee terms) as well that matters

Uh, surely you mean they charge you $40 for each of the first 5 coins and then however much per coin the the normal rate is after that? What are the benefits of membership? The entitlement to spend money with them?

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/benefits.aspx I feel it is actually better to go for the $ 249 tier because you can grade 5 coins upto $ 3000 each, which would itself cost $ 35 each as opposed to the $ 19 coin each for grading coins under $ 300 http://www.ngccoin.com/services/services.aspx#world

I fail to see why paying someone $249 to grade 5 coins that would normally cost $35 each, i.e $175 in total, is any better off than paying $200 to grade 5 coins that would otherwise cost $95. The first is a smaller overpayment, but still an overpayment, and certainly a larger outlay depite the lower overspend. Surely, if desperate to spend money for nothing there must have been a pyramid scheme closer to home you could have used - or you could play the lottery?

It's little wonder you get grade inflation given the incentive to grade higher from the higher fees charged as a consequence of the higher 'official' value. You also run the risk of having coins undergraded as you have only paid to have them graded up to a certain value (for which read grade). It actually goes some way to justifying the use of a third party to grade the graders.

Fair point in any case I don't have 5 coins in the $ 3000 region that need grading and the other benefits are perhaps not worth the extra money forsomeone like me. I will settle for the lower membership tier. This is the very reason I thought I should ask someone.

This is still spending $200 for $95 worth of work. Please, I implore you, send the $105 you have no need for or wish to pee against the wall to me, and I will spend it on something where you actually receive a benefit or goods for the expenditure.

I'm not sure you'd get 5 Coins graded for the lower membership. For that i think you just become a member and the send coins and Pay whatever the value is. Must look at this again

It is a measure of eye appeal that is it is an indication of whether a coin is RD (red), RB (red brown) or BN (brown). I have noticed that a coin that grades for MS 66 BN sells for almost the same price as MS 64 RB or a MS 62 RD. Now you can see why it is not just the number but the eye appeal quotient (you got to love Yankee terms) as well that matters

Thanks Prax. It kind of makes sense now (the abbreviations, that is, not the reason for them). However, I notice they've missed out GN :D

This RD, RB, and BN business does however seem occasionally (maybe a lot of the time) better than teams such as full or subdued lustre or whatever, and then you get a grab bag of a coin - even when you have seen the pictures! I'll be a monkey's uncle if that is any clearer.

If I am understanding what seems clear is that Prax wishes to have his coins more "marketable" and he may be well right as the price fetched for a slabbed coin that is correctly graded will rise much higher at least in the States than an unslabbed coin that is labelled as simply "GEF" or "unc" or "mint state" or "nearly (!!) mint state". I daresay such a coin may now do much better in the major London salesrooms at auction time as well.

Edited by VickySilver

This RD, RB, and BN business does however seem occasionally (maybe a lot of the time) better than teams such as full or subdued lustre or whatever, and then you get a grab bag of a coin - even when you have seen the pictures! I'll be a monkey's uncle if that is any clearer.

If I am understanding what seems clear is that Prax wishes to have his coins more "marketable" and he may be well right as the price fetched for a slabbed coin that is correctly graded will rise much higher at least in the States than an unslabbed coin that is labelled as simply "GEF" or "unc" or "mint state" or "nearly (!!) mint state". I daresay such a coin may now do much better in the major London salesrooms at auction time as well.

Nothing beats a good picture.

True, but colour is quite variably reproduced. One example was the now almost-famous Spink New York sale of Pennies wherein many suffered from rather poor underrepresentation in the pictures - much to the delight of bidders who did participate!

True, but colour is quite variably reproduced. One example was the now almost-famous Spink New York sale of Pennies wherein many suffered from rather poor underrepresentation in the pictures - much to the delight of bidders who did participate!

Maybe, but even a poor picture beats the initials "red brown". I mean, for heaven's sake! Every single (just about) Vicky copper is a red-brown colour, even when worn to hell. It's meaningless.