British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
sparkey0151

tokens

Hi all, just a question about tokens, would these be collected as part of an overall coin collection, and also would you grade these just like coins?

regards john

Tokens fit into my collection.

They grade like coins and are collectable in their own right. :)

Agree with Peter, and becoming increasingly interested in them :)

Tokens can have quite attractive designs and a lot of them offer an insight into life at the time.

If you look through the "Show us your copper and bronze" thread you will see many beautiful examples.

Tokens WERE (more or less) coins, especially the trade tokens of the late 18thC.

I have a thing for 17th century trade tokens,fascinating seeing all the old trades that no longer exist & a huge amount to collect .

Edited by JPK

I have a thing for 17th century trade tokens,fascinating seeing all the old trades that no longer exist & a huge amount to collect .

Agreed! I seem to recall looking up what some of the more obscure trades actually were!

There's one (Colchester?) with the legend "Success to the bay trade"

Turns out that "bay" is baize or felt.