British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  

I'm quite new to grading coins and think I may have been over grading my coins. I've just bought this 1906 farthing and just wandered if people could let me know what they think the grade is to help me get my eye in. I've read up quite a few different sources online and id grade this coin maybe VF - NEF.

If I could have your opinions it would be gratefully appreciated and if its lower that what I think could you give a little explanation on what would have lowered the grade.

Sorry for the newbie question again. Many thanks in advance.

Ps. I do apologise for the photos, have had to use a phone camera.

post-8543-0-06498000-1416438370_thumb.jp

post-8543-0-44310000-1416438381_thumb.jp

Charlie, ask as many questions on here as you wish (especially grading ones!). I find the responses are so quick normally that I can often use them to judge whether to buy a coin or not, that is imminently closing at auction!

It's a common but attractive example, my grade would be aVF overall

I'd personally say you're about there...I thought GVF overall.

edit: with obverse the better grade!

Edited by Coinery

Thanks for the feedback. Its much better in hand, its hard to get a good picture using a phone camera. I picked it up off ebay for 50p so I'm happy!

Thanks for the feedback. Its much better in hand, its hard to get a good picture using a phone camera. I picked it up off ebay for 50p so I'm happy!

Well you did very well there then (as long as the postage wasn't silly!)

I Would say first And foremost that good pictures help Better when asking about grade. OBV has visible wear To The hair and beard i'd go with VF, the REV is Better and i'd say GVF. Points of wear On the REV are the highest points, Britannias Fingers Holding the trident, There i's visible wear, the breastplate and also the shield, those are the things to look out for.

Stick around for more grading fun topics including TPGs, we love those topics on here and will be hotly discussed once every 3 months at least, keep a tin helmet handy for the flak and low flying slabs

I find these quite difficult to grade (and photograph - as is evident).

Because they were darkened, any friction at all is evident on the reverse. The 4 below were all sold to me as UNC. I'd probably grade them EF, EF+, gEF, gEF respectively, which may be a little harsh but it depends how you look at it - a gem full black/purple UNC isn't easy to come by. These all cost more than 50p!

8c1b6c1490852b8c353a281d769cde62.jpg

To the OP :

Your farthing is better than VF but probably not quite EF. I'd say your grading is not far off at all. Note the slight flattening of Britannia's helmet and face, and her fingers. But also note the complete absence of wear to the shield, and her arms and legs, which are areas that take early hits. The obverse, as others have pointed out, is even better, so getting on for EF I'd say. Overall, GVF+. (See below for general comment about detail on very small coins).

To damian:

Yes, I think you've been way too harsh. You can regard the purple toning as the equivalent of lustre, and it behaves exactly the same way. Your examples show virtually full 'lustre', with just a bit of rubbing in one or two places :

1. AU / GEF

2. UNC (full lustre!!) / AU - the weakish strike you often see on mid-reign Eddie bronzes

3. AU

4. AU

General note (also applies to sixpences) - you can be far too critical of small coins where the picture is blown up larger than life size. Such coins were not fully struck up in terms of design, as the ability of the die to retain minor details reduces in proportion to the size of the actual coin. Compare the reverses of Geo V sixpences and shillings, and the same applies to all Britannias on coppers/bronzes. Remember the disagreement we had last year about the difference between a George IV sixpence and shilling sent to CGS for grading? [/rant]

I agree entirely with Damian, the dark lustre on these means that any loss of lustre is seen as wear, which is often not the case.

And I also agree with Peck regarding his grading although I would probably swap 2 and 3, although 3 does have some marks/scrapes.

Regards the original post, good pictures are essential for these but I agree that it will be in the GVF ball park

Edward VII are among the hardest milled coins to grade as the head is in relatively low relief. I'd say the original coin was VF overall.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, its a great help with getting my eye in. Ive borrowed my wife's camera and taken some hopefully better pictures.. Although still not great.

post-8543-0-72761400-1416516728_thumb.jp