British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

copper123

spot the expensive mistake

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

I think what he means is that it is an 1859 Farthing not 1839! Although in that condition it does not make much difference :lol:

how is it an expensive mistake? wasn't a BIN, then it would be.

OK, so the value is not zero as there is an intrinsic metal value currently standing at 0.43p spot, but a waste of £1.99 is not too far wide of the mark. The seller can be forgiven for not reading the date correctly. In fine they only book at £5 and £12 respectively, so extrapolating back to an appropriate grade, the cost/value question is still a moot point. Certainly not an expensive mistake by the seller. Had it been in unc or thereabout it would have been an expensive mistake, but then the seller would have been able to read the date with ease.

I must admit i have sold similar or worse examples for £20 - £25 they really sell well in any grade.

Roughly six coins which is aprox one a month have found there way on to ebay in the recent past the only one as a buy it now sold straight away.

In fact it is nearly as rare as 1844 in my opinion

Contrast this to the number of 1853 farthings currently on ebay and you will see it is a lot scarcer than normally emagined.

1851 and 1852 are also rarer than most folks think

Edited by copper123

I must admit i have sold similar or worse examples for £20 - £25 they really sell well in any grade.

Roughly six coins which is aprox one a month have found there way on to ebay in the recent past the only one as a buy it now sold straight away.

In fact it is nearly as rare as 1844 in my opinion

Contrast this to the number of 1853 farthings currently on ebay and you will see it is a lot scarcer than normally emagined.

1851 and 1852 are also rarer than most folks think

Yes, but it is still a fairly dire example. Less than fine for something that is reasonably obtainable can only be rationalised by assuming the buyer wishes to maintain uniformity of grade. I can accept that they might not want to spend hundreds on an unc or EF example, but if you are going to waste £20-30 on a washer, why not spend the same on a VF coin with an unambiguous date from anywhere other than eBay? This has all the hallmarks of planet eBay living in a parallel universe. If anyone wants expensive washers, I have a huge supply.

Yes scott for some reason there seems to be a shortage of 1859 farthings in lower grade maybe it has something to do with it being the last date made b4 the scraping of the copper coins was decided.