British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

1807 Half penny value and grade

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and quite new to coin collecting. I just wandered if I could get some opinions about the grade of this 1807 half penny and possible value?

Many thanks in advance.

post-8543-0-67247000-1416082073_thumb.jp

post-8543-0-95170900-1416082087_thumb.jp

A very warm welcome Charlie, you will find some very good advice on here and some interesting and valuable reading, enjoy the hobby!

Do you have a focus for your new collection?

You will find this web site 'http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/' a useful starting place, along with this Forum!

Unless this coin is some scarce variety, it is common and grades around Fine (F), and would cost around £5-£10 to buy one like it

Edited by Paulus

Near VF bordering vf with a couple of minor problems.

Slightly scarcer date so I would say about £10

Welcome Charlie.

I agree. Nearly VF. A nice coin to start the hobby with. Do you have any others we could take a look at for you?

Edited by Michael-Roo

A very warm welcome Charlie, you will find some very good advice on here and some interesting and valuable reading, enjoy the hobby!

Do you have a focus for your new collection?

You will find this web site 'http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/' a useful starting place, along with this Forum!

Unless this coin is some scarce variety, it is common and grades around Fine (F), and would cost around £5-£10 to buy one like it

Thank you, I hope to collect a type set for each monarch from George III through to pre decimal QEII, I have quite a bit from the latter monarchs that were passed down from my grandfather. I have been making purchases for the past 6 months or so to build up my collection.

I am a type collector myself, currently trying to limit myself to one very pleasing example of every silver denomination from Charles II to George VI ... trick is, what do you call a type?

Of course I have a smattering of hammered, gold, copper, bronze, decimal, foreign, tokens etc to keep it varied and more interesting to look through, and getting increasingly drawn to hammered!

I am just glad I am not a date run or micro-variety collector, I think I would hate that, but each to their own!

All photos and questions welcomed :)

Edited by Paulus

Welcome Charlie.

I agree. Nearly VF. A nice coin to start the hobby with. Do you have any others we could take a look at for you?

I do have another 1807 half penny which has some nice detail but unfortunately I think it has been cleaned (not by me).

The first coin I ever bought was an 1887 shilling.

Nice.

Be sure to check though what you have from your Grandfather for rarities. Wreath crowns. H and KN pennies. 1946 and 49 threepenny bits etc. If you find you have a 1905 half crown your Grandpa was a canny bloke ;).

Don't worry about it Charlie. Everyone of us bought 1887 silver when we were starting out. Even the members who now spend squilions on coins.

Unfortunately no rarities. It took some time to sort through the collection, everything was in an old wooden box. A mixture of British decimal and pre decimal and a lot of world coins which were fun to research as not all were obvious as to where they were from. All sorted and researched now.

Nothing wrong with 1887 silver, that's where you will find the best grade for your money if you're a type collector!

I got this 1806 (I don't think 1807 is any rarer) halfpenny for £20 or so recently, if that's any guide - respectfully it is a better grade than the one in your pics, perhaps GVF?

1806_HP_Sellers_zps7ff2f9ab.png

FOR WEAR ONLY <------ it's VF (obverse NVF, reverse GVF). Trouble is, there's too much else wrong with it, such as rim dinks, slight pitting, and uneven toning. So for value I'd say less than VF - possibly GF only.

That's nice, the detail on it is far better. I'm a big fan of George III coppers.

Paulus:

You're right on both counts. 1887 silver can still be found at bargain prices.

In higher grades the 1807 halfpenny is harder to come by than the 1806. However, at £20, your 1806 was a good buy.

I am a type collector myself, currently trying to limit myself to one very pleasing example of every silver denomination from Charles II to George VI ... trick is, what do you call a type?

One of every denomination for every ruler Paulus, or coverage of all denominations across the whole range? Was just thinking good luck with the William IV crown :)

That's nice, the detail on it is far better. I'm a big fan of George III coppers.

Me too. Speaking of type collecting, my goals at the minute are fairly modest but then around certain periods I'd like to do a bit more and definitely George III copper falls into this bracket. Potentially anything that came out of the Soho mint is on the cards.

If you love G3 copper Charlie, I am getting much enjoyment from picking up the odd token from 1790 onwards, when there was a massive shortage of copper coinage. Fantastic pieces of social history at affordable prices in decent grade IMO.

To see some of the top grades brilliantly photographed look at this thread:

http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/8342-lets-see-your-copper-coins-tokens-or-medals/

Edited by Paulus

One of every denomination for every ruler Paulus, or coverage of all denominations across the whole range? Was just thinking good luck with the William IV crown :)

I limit my targets to coins issued for general circulation Damian (conveniently), but it is still very challenging!

Edited by Paulus

Of course!

Paulus, you're right. 1790s token halfpennies are a great suggestion. So much social and political history to explore. In fact, your mentioning them has me reaching for the tray right now…...

Nothing wrong with 1887 silver, that's where you will find the best grade for your money if you're a type collector!

And if you're a variety collector, getting all 4 kinds of 1887 shilling is fun.

Not to mention 3 halfcrowns, 4 florins, 3 threepences, 3 double florins, and SEVEN sixpences.

All 1887, all silver.

And if you're a variety collector, getting all 4 kinds of 1887 shilling is fun.

Not to mention 3 halfcrowns, 4 florins, 3 threepences, 3 double florins, and SEVEN sixpences.

All 1887, all silver.

Exactly Declan, and if you want any of those Jubilees in a different date, you will pay a premium! Let's hear it for 1887! :)

Paulus:

You're right on both counts. 1887 silver can still be found at bargain prices.

In higher grades the 1807 halfpenny is harder to come by than the 1806. However, at £20, your 1806 was a good buy.

Up to a point - I'm having real and enduring difficulty finding a genuine top grade (GEF or better) 1806 halfpenny to go with my penny and farthing; they're nowhere near as easy as people think. Common as hell up to VF+ but progressively harder after that, especially one without complications.

You can find loads of lovely token halfpennies for £10 or £15 I would not spend less than this as you are likely to get just common low grade coins for £5 or less.

They really are a great field to start collecting