British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

arthurcrown

Soho Mint Penny Question ?

My favourite issues at present are the Soho Mint coppers. I've just picked up this nice grade 1806 penny to add to my collection (EF at a guess ?). On the edge milling I noticed the grooves aren't uniform all the way round, a few are either thicker or very faint compare to the rest of the coin.

As there is very little wear to the coin does anyone know if this is common for this type and period ? I've checked the size and weight which are both spot on so to my untrained eye I've no reason to suspect it as being a fake.

Thanks

post-8536-0-15262800-1415892092_thumb.jp

post-8536-0-90930300-1415892112_thumb.jp

post-8536-0-70403800-1415892123_thumb.jp

The security edge is usually in a deeper groove than that on a currency piece. Proofs have very shallow edges similar to that, but the rim/edge of your coin which would be nice and sharp says it isn't a proof. Your coin looks legitimate. An image of a proof edge is attached below.

post-381-0-02716500-1415895852_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that, I can see the difference in the shoulders with mine being rounder than the proof.

Here's a picture of the reverse for anyone who's interested

post-8536-0-62153200-1415897836_thumb.jp

My favourite issues at present are the Soho Mint coppers. I've just picked up this nice grade 1806 penny to add to my collection (EF at a guess ?). On the edge milling I noticed the grooves aren't uniform all the way round, a few are either thicker or very faint compare to the rest of the coin.

As there is very little wear to the coin does anyone know if this is common for this type and period ? I've checked the size and weight which are both spot on so to my untrained eye I've no reason to suspect it as being a fake.

Thanks

Can't help with the graining, sorry. But yes, it's EF (minimum - possibly a bit better).

This is quite common on the farthings of the period, with the groove not always being full depth, and also in some cases varying in depth around the edge of the coin.

This is quite common on the farthings of the period, with the groove not always being full depth, and also in some cases varying in depth around the edge of the coin.

Same for the halfpennies, but the proofs are always notably shallower than the currency pieces.