British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

PWA 1967

1933 penny

Yes i am aware i wont get the real one.I have been reading that some altered dates were made ,and obviously thats what i am looking for.Accumulator on the forum has the kind of coin i am looking for.As always would pay a good price straight away.I dont want a replica and not trying to con anyone .However the 1933 i have to fill a gap with ,obviously with other proofs etc

I have an altered date 1933 penny that I got largely because I wanted to fill a gap and I find the modern copies to be so vulgar! It was not particularly cheap when I bought it a few years back but have no intention of parting with it. If I remember it cost me about £200 and that was a fair while ago. What sort of money are you looking at spending PWA?

Hi Pete, I will get some pictures of it tomorrow if I get a chance whilst there is still sunlight. My example is not for sale unfortunately but I have always thought of it as a nicer way to fill the elusive gap.

No problem ,i must admit £200 seemed over the top .Please put the pictures up though.

Thanks pete.

It was quite expensive but I saw a few go for £100/£130 about 5 years ago in auctions so I thought there must be a market for them. Ingram Coins has one up for £325 at the moment which IMO isn't a particularly skilful alteration but hopefully shows there is a demand for them.

Just had a look at the one with ingram coins.I am purchasing the coins for my grandaughter.That one is terrible and although she is only two,could probably make a better one tonight out of play dough

Just seen some pictures of a 1954 penny ,from a forum member that were really good.So they are obviously available.Like most pennies i thought they would be easier to find

Here is a pic of a genuine 1933 that sold for £80k, at least according to a poster on Ringram's Facebook page - I'm sure there are some on here who will know whether that is true or not!

1933_1p_Genuine_zpsb00bb052.jpg

Difficult one. That second 3 looks a bit smaller than the first?

A 1933 penny sale would've been all over the world news, and would've made significantly more than £80k, surely?

It would be an ultimate acquisition for the princes and monarchs of bottomless pockets! The general public wouldn't even get to sniff it IMHO!

Do you no were it was sold paulus, cant find anything documented.

This is all that the poster had to say about it:

"It's true to say that just 7 were struck. However, I know the gentleman here in the UK who owned one. It was sold privately for £80,000 circa 2009."

BTW, the poster is one of Dave's very best friends! ;)

The same poster also cites this one, which is apparently "ex-Norweb Collection" and "held in private hands in the USA" ... anyone know about it?

1933_1p_Genuine_02_ex_Norweb_zpsd1890e77

The reverses look different to me. A few minor things, but most obviously Britannia's facial features and the area around her left hand and the letter P.

I don't know. Maybe its just the way the photos were taken?

That paticular one sold at spink. 1986 norweb collection pt 3 was lot 1149 and sold for £4100 + commission

Sorry for the delay but here is a photo of my one. It is certainly one of the better ones I have seen! I quite like the fact it is worn as it conjures up images of it having been taken from a pocket after reading 'check your change'. I must say that I quite enjoy glancing over my date run of pennies and having a split second of 'hope'!!

post-7996-0-83131100-1416305832_thumb.jp

not yet ,although was in ireland for the boxing at the weekend and now in spain ,so not really been looking.A forum member was kind enough to let me no about one on ebay,but it got withdrawn .

not yet ,although was in ireland for the boxing at the weekend and now in spain ,so not really been looking.A forum member was kind enough to let me no about one on ebay,but it got withdrawn .

Was it a fake? ;)