British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveG38

1862 Penny Varieties

Can anybody help me with advice about varieties of the 1862 penny? I've just bought a second one, in rather better condition than the original, though still not fantastic, and I have noticed several differences beteen the two. Basically, the new one appears to be the 'standard' 1862 version, whereas the original has three (so far) points of difference:

1. On the reverse, the 6 and the 2 are more narrowly spaced and the pointings to the border teeth are different.

2. On the obverse, the gap between the top of the head and the raised ring is a little smaller.

3. On the obverse the first T in BRITT is distinctly misaligned with the I and the other T.

To avoid any doubts, I don't think, based on Freeman's identifiers, that I have got examples of Obverse 2 and Obverse 6. As far as I can judge, I seem to have two Obverse 6 examples, except that they differ from each other, so does anybody know of any varieties for this type?

Ok, Dave, you seem to have one of each variety.

The gap at the top of the head is noticeably smaller in obverse 6, and the first T of BRITT is misaligned in obverse 2. The pairing 2 + G is rare, so hopefully you have a nice example?

In the photos below Obverse 2 is on the left and 6 is on the right:

Penny1862%20F38%202%20+%20G%20OBV%20500xPenny1862%20F39%206%20+%20G%20OBV%20500x

Edited by Accumulator

The gap at the top of the head is noticeably smaller in obverse 6, and the first T of BRITT is misaligned in obverse 2. The pairing 2 + G is rare, so hopefully you have a nice example?

Penny1862%20F38%202%20+%20G%20OBV%20500xPenny1862%20F39%206%20+%20G%20OBV%20500x

Oh if only it were, but sadly both of mine are, I think Obverse 6 - there's no sign of W Wyon on either of them. In my case, the gap at the top of the bust is only marginally smaller on one example compared to the other, say 0.8mm against 1.00mm - in other words a tiny difference.

The misaligned 'T' is similar in range to yours, but in mine the left hand cross piece of the 'T' drops downwards, not the right hand side as on yours. Finally, the 6 and 2 in the date are wider on one example than on the other.

If I could get my camera working I'd put up a photo or two. If not I'll see what I can do otherwise.

Oh if only it were, but sadly both of mine are, I think Obverse 6 - there's no sign of W Wyon on either of them. In my case, the gap at the top of the bust is only marginally smaller on one example compared to the other, say 0.8mm against 1.00mm - in other words a tiny difference.

The misaligned 'T' is similar in range to yours, but in mine the left hand cross piece of the 'T' drops downwards, not the right hand side as on yours. Finally, the 6 and 2 in the date are wider on one example than on the other.

If I could get my camera working I'd put up a photo or two. If not I'll see what I can do otherwise.

That's absolutely normal and very common for the first 4 years of bun pennies - all it signifies is a different die, not die variety. The spacing - and even orientation - of the final 2 to the 6, is extremely varied.

Micheal Gouby lists seven distinct varieties of 1862 penny.

Penny 1862 Varieties.jpeg

Not to mention the 1862/1 ...

we'll ignore the different date placements

What are Michael's rarity ratings? I know that with Freeman R8 and R9 stand for "not especially scarce", but I assume MG's are different.

What are Michael's rarity ratings? I know that with Freeman R8 and R9 stand for "not especially scarce", but I assume MG's are different.

I'm not home now and don't have my copy with me....

There should be a rarity scale listed within.

He also attempts to note the quantity known on the rarer varieties but with new discoveries being made those numbers are always subject to change and should be used as a guide and not accepted as gospel...

Michaels Rarity scale is:

A1 - Abundant

C2 - Common

N3 - Normal

S4 - Scarce (201-500)

R5 - Rare (101-200)

R6 - Very rare (51-100)

R7 - Extremely rare (26-50)

R8 10-25 possibly known

R9 - 2-9 possibly known

PU - Possibly Unique

The term possibly known is used to allow for the possibility that some of the known rarities have been double counted when a coin has been sold from one collection to another without the researchers knowledge. The () numbers given are an approximation

Michaels Rarity scale is:

A1 - Abundant

C2 - Common

N3 - Normal

S4 - Scarce (201-500)

R5 - Rare (101-200)

R6 - Very rare (51-100)

R7 - Extremely rare (26-50)

R8 10-25 possibly known

R9 - 2-9 possibly known

PU - Possibly Unique

The term possibly known is used to allow for the possibility that some of the known rarities have been double counted when a coin has been sold from one collection to another without the researchers knowledge. The () numbers given are an approximation

Thanks for that. But now I'm WELL confused. 201-500 = SCARCE??? Ye gods, that's major rarity. Ok, not compared to a 1933 penny perhaps, but still very rare. His scale goes geometrically for three ratings, then just falls off a cliff! The 2 Michaels seem at both ends of a very long extreme.

Edited by Peckris

He says that the Dg and Eg, both R9 had one ton of each produced, so 108,000 coins.