British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

Mintage figures

Does anyone have a link to official mintage figures for pre-decimal coins, I can't find what I am looking for on the Royal Mint site?

Is it true that in most (if not all) cases the number stated concerns the number minted in that year, rather than the number minted with that year stated on the coin?

I am interested in particular in Viccy silver figures, but I would hope and expect to find everything available on a single site?

Don't think RM produce them. Token publishing do in their yearbooks as does ESC, soon to be replaced by Spink.

Mark

Mark, I must be blind, where are they in ESC?

Fifth Edition (1992), Appendix 1, page 245

Chris's books has them.

Thanks, yes I have the latest CCGB on my tablet.

Is it always the case that the mintage figures given are the number of coins of said denomination minted in that year, and NOT (necessarily) the number minted with that year on the coin? If so, is there no way of knowing for sure how many coins were minted/issued with a particular date on them?

If so, is there no way of knowing for sure how many coins were minted/issued with a particular date on them?

I have tried to collate the sources of information for Victorian mintage numbers, ie annual reports, trial of the pyx records, parliamentary returns and other documentary mentions to see if it might be possible to derive any plausible estimates. After many hours of crunching the numbers, I concluded that it would not be possible without having access to the Royal Mint day books.

If so, is there no way of knowing for sure how many coins were minted/issued with a particular date on them?

I have tried to collate the sources of information for Victorian mintage numbers, ie annual reports, trial of the pyx records, parliamentary returns and other documentary mentions to see if it might be possible to derive any plausible estimates. After many hours of crunching the numbers, I concluded that it would not be possible without having access to the Royal Mint day books.

Which you should be able to get under the freedom of information act?

Mark

• Like 1

Which you should be able to get under the freedom of information act?

Mark

You wouldn't need a FoI request, but you would need to go to the National Archives at Kew and spend many many hours delving through the records.

Thanks, yes I have the latest CCGB on my tablet.

Is it always the case that the mintage figures given are the number of coins of said denomination minted in that year, and NOT (necessarily) the number minted with that year on the coin? If so, is there no way of knowing for sure how many coins were minted/issued with a particular date on them?

Before Elizabeth II, yes, it's the number of coins minted IN the year, not OF the year. It's fairly reliable for George VI, slightly less so for Geo V, and so on the further back you go. And no, I can't think of a reliable way of knowing the figures you want, as no record was kept except of the coins actually minted.

Classic examples:

• 1797 cartwheels
  • 1804 BoE dollars
  • 1754 farthings
  • 1758 shillings

which are all either 'single type' coins minted over a period of years, or 'last of the series' coins minted when required in later years when coinage was going through turbulent times. There are many such examples.