British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I'm relatively new to coin collecting so am picking things up and learning as I go, sometimes the hard way and buying the odd dud !.

Just arrived today are my latest additions which I picked up via ebay, a 1717 'Dump issue' and a 1719 farthing. From what I can gather the Dump issue farthing is quite rare and commands a high premium. I've trawled the internet and am having trouble finding many examples to compare it with grade-wise. At a guess I'd say it was about Fine, maybe the worn legend on the reverse affecting it more ?

Regarding the 1719 issue there are a couple of cracks in the flan on the obverse, does this affect the value of a coin much ?

The date is the small 9 variety listed in my old Coincraft book which lists it as a higher value coin. Again, I'm having a bit of difficulty in finding out much more about this variety.

Any info from the pros on either of these coins would be much appreciated thanks.

post-8536-0-25778300-1415472066_thumb.jp

post-8536-0-04793600-1415472074_thumb.jp

post-8536-0-88740200-1415472078_thumb.jp

post-8536-0-76292100-1415472085_thumb.jp

Every coin that arrives via ebay is rare because the seller says so and the buyer has'nt done his homework. Coins in low grade nvf etc are'nt worth their salt Right now unfortunately, but welcome to the forum And i hope you have'nt paid much for those

Edited by azda

Arthur, try Colin's website 'about farthings'! He's a member of this forum, and has a link in his signature! Otherwise Google it, it's worth a browse if farthings are your bag!

Excellent advice for you from Stuart there, Arthur. Colin's site will provide you with lots of detailed information on all major varieties from 1760 to 1956. Colin Cooke's collection (which I gave you the link to) is a great place to learn about the earlier stuff.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the forum. There are people here whose depth of knowledge is truly astonishing and who will always be happy to help and advise you on building your collection.

Regardless of grade respect to you for finding a 1717 dump farthing with which to start. Most impressive! ;)

Love your username - horrible pun!

Your photos are a bit on the dark side - you could either lift the shadows/levels in any halfway capable image editor, or increase the exposure at photography time. Basically, it's the 'mid-tones' you need to lift, i.e. 'greys' rather than 'blacks' or 'whites'.

Thanks for the referral to Colins website, didn't realise there could be so many varieties of the same year type. I bought one of my first coins from him, a Lima sixpence, which intrigued me after reading the story about how they came to be.

Thanks for the referral to Colins website, didn't realise there could be so many varieties of the same year type. I bought one of my first coins from him, a Lima sixpence, which intrigued me after reading the story about how they came to be.

Variety being the spice of life :).

For early milled Scott and Rob are the experts here.

I'll have a play with the photos and re-post them when I get chance if it helps with taking a closer look at them. Thanks

The 1717 farthing i would say is worth around £70 so it is not really a pocket money item , in fact after my 30 or so years coin collecting it is still missing from my collection , so you have a least one person on here who feels jealous.

The 1719 coin really is a £10 or £15 item, the small 9 is in fact normal

The 1717 farthing i would say is worth around £70 so it is not really a pocket money item , in fact after my 30 or so years coin collecting it is still missing from my collection , so you have a least one person on here who feels jealous.

The 1719 coin really is a £10 or £15 item, the small 9 is in fact normal

The 1717 may be worth even a tad more than that. If you paid less than the £70 Arthur, you did well.

Your photos are a bit on the dark side - you could either lift the shadows/levels in any halfway capable image editor, or increase the exposure at photography time. Basically, it's the 'mid-tones' you need to lift, i.e. 'greys' rather than 'blacks' or 'whites'.

I think those are eBay pics Peck. Probably best to wait until you have the coins to photograph yourself Arthur!

And welcome!

Thanks. I've got the coins and taken pics but couldn't upload them due to file size. Not sure how to compress them for uploading on here so as you quite rightly mentioned, they are the ones off the ebay ad.

Had my thinking cap on and it's out of action today, still can't figure out how to compress the picture quality for uploading on here :unsure:

Your value estimates are pretty much spot on with what I paid for them...£80 the pair.

It seems odd when originally preparing the dies they used numbers and letters of various sizes. I've a 1700 farthing with small S's in the obverse legend which I thought was odd, but since looking around I've seen others like it. Guess they weren't too fussy back then !!

Thanks. I've got the coins and taken pics but couldn't upload them due to file size. Not sure how to compress them for uploading on here so as you quite rightly mentioned, they are the ones off the ebay ad.

This topic: http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/7880-posting-pics/ explains everything you need to know.

yes , Q.C went a bit out of the window in william the thirds time partly to do with the great recoinage of all the old hammered silver.

This put loads of strain on the mint and various unqualified folks at the mint were given a job to do and little time to finish it as well , resulting in loads of interesting little mistakes , and lots of fun for us collecting them 310 years on.

One of the best and most common of these is the 1701 halfpenny with the gigantic O a really belter

Things did get better under George the first and in fact the coins of Anne (the farthings ) in particular are stunningly well made with really attractive designs which hinted of the greatness to come in the 19th cent

One of the best and most common of these is the 1701 halfpenny with the gigantic O a really belter

There are at least two varieties of the large 0, one of which is over an undersized 0.

Thanks for the info on how to compress and upload my own photos directly...easy when you know how !!

This is one of the favourites in my collection, recently acquired. Love the Soho Mint quality and design, much more visual appeal than some earlier Royal mint copper coins in my opinion.

post-8536-0-79720600-1415616774_thumb.jp

post-8536-0-68399900-1415616784_thumb.jp

Nice Arthur. A little bit of trace lustre on it too.

Well the Soho mint coins were the first of a new era so it is a good thing they are a great design.

I must admit I love the cartwheels which are sadly missing in the 1797 format of halfpennies and farthings.

There again there are the patterns of the farthing and halfpenny and the restrikes i surpose

A bit late to post on this one, the 1717 is a collectable date, so you wont have lost money at that price for the pair.

I agree you should not lose anything on these two coins

With the 1717 it is basically problem free apart from wear.To upgrade your coin to the heady heights of vf you will pay several hundred pounds

Ouch !! A bit out of my price range unfortunately , think I'll stick with the one I've got for now.

Thanks to everyone who's taken a lot at them, always nice to have an experienced eye pass on their knowledge and opinion.

It is rare in ANY grade thus £85 fine £350 VF and £800 in EF sound about right

Unc if you ever find one would be £2000