British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

2015 Commemoratives

Oh God NO! Another Churchill Crown!!!

Good heavens.

I have been spared an ordeal (maybe). The Churchill rev. design is by Mark Richards, an example of whose handiwork I already have. The down-side is that the other pieces he has designed are the Kate and Will £5 and the Philip 90th birthday £5. I opted for the latter.

I also note that the specification given for the £5 in the 2 coin set is BU. There is no attempt to assign a quality label to the 1965 crown which accompanies it. ;)

I also note that the specification given for the £5 in the 2 coin set is BU. There is no attempt to assign a quality label to the 1965 crown which accompanies it. ;)

I also note that even the best example 1965 crown the RM could find for the photograph has a number of heavy contact marks on both sides. I wonder if there are any out there without bagmarks.

why is everything so bland nowadays

the 1994 50p was better

Sorry John (Bergdahl) but the £2 looks very cartoony.

Scott I see what you're saying there's a distinct lack of detail on most of these coins. The Battle of Britain commemorative is... lazy.

I do like the Churchill portrait!!

9152229b0d37ebcde3b5474f8dd90ea1.jpg

I think looking at these designs has confirmed my idea - stick with pre-decimal; no modern coin will offer the same level of quality and originality of design.

BTW, on that Magna Carta coin, why does the queen look like she has very few details? Is it just the light?

I think looking at these designs has confirmed my idea - stick with pre-decimal; no modern coin will offer the same level of quality and originality of design.

They're churning out a lot of new commemorative coins every year so I think this waters down the quality a bit. And opening up designs to competition in theory gives you a wider pool of talent to pick from, but then the individuals aren't personally and creatively invested in the coinage as the likes of Wyon would have been.

Saying that, de Saulles' 1902 florin design borrowed heaviliy from 'la Semeuse' over in France and so arguably wasn't as original or as wonderful as people see it now? (It got a lot of stick too, "where's the beading?") And plenty of moaning was done around the end of the 19th century - no one seemed to think much of the veiled head Victoria or of the re-working of Britannia.

So the coinage has been poor for a while... :ph34r:

There are still 3 (soon to be 4) effigies for Elizabeth II following on from Mary Gillick's work, you just have to not care / be selective about which reverse designs you pick :lol:

Ordered all of them a few minutes ago. Need them of course in order to keep our manuscript up to date...

But... Waterloo, Battle of Britain, Royal Navy... That is quite militaristic, isn´t? There is a certain development in British commemorative coinage, which can be observed for Russian commemorative coin motifs as well quite often.

But for British coins, the selection of designs with military subject/motifs looks unusual to me.

In Germany an emmision of such an amount of commemorative coinage dealing with war/military topics would cause a public outcry...

Ordered all of them a few minutes ago. Need them of course in order to keep our manuscript up to date...

But... Waterloo, Battle of Britain, Royal Navy... That is quite militaristic, isn´t? There is a certain development in British commemorative coinage, which can be observed for Russian commemorative coin motifs as well quite often.

But for British coins, the selection of designs with military subject/motifs looks unusual to me.

In Germany an emmision of such an amount of commemorative coinage dealing with war/military topics would cause a public outcry...

That's a very interesting observation ChKy. Personally I think we recognise these anniversaries a little too much, do you think it is less palatable in Germany because of the outcomes in the last 100 years and resulting reparations and hardship?

we win a lot of battles.

and besides the Britannia design, IMO, got worse every redesign since the copper pieces of the 1800s.

and the french design wes always nice, the one from the 50 centimes and 1 franc from the early 20.c that was brought back in the 60s and modified on the euros lol

Edited by scott

That's a very interesting observation ChKy. Personally I think we recognise these anniversaries a little too much, do you think it is less palatable in Germany because of the outcomes in the last 100 years and resulting reparations and hardship?

Well... it is because of the two big wars in the 20th century. In my opinion the Great (in German First World) War was initiated by all(!) European Powers. The Second World War was a direct consequence of the first one. War is a part of politics, politics is dirty and cruel.

For the latter World War Germany has definately to take responsibility. The responsibility is to look very critical at any militaristic, pseudo-herioc and fundamentalistic behavior/development. The moto is "never let this happen again"! War rememberence in Germany is (and should be) always commemorating the fallen and oppressed human beings, not "heroic victories in various battles during the long history of mankind".

Edited by ChKy

Interestingly it made me revisit my '65 crowns.

I actually like the Nemon design better, now a few years have passed. And certainly better than the Richards' portrait.

Lets talk about commemoration... Today, 25 years ago the wall in Berlin has fallen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-4jPZnZjac

Germany has not issued a commemorative coin for that occasion... This was done by the Vaticane State instead :(

2016 will have many events..

lots of things happened in years ending with 66 :/

2016 will have many events..

lots of things happened in years ending with 66 :/

The mysterious goal in Wembley stadium?? :P

as well as battles, fires....

and beating the germans.

Edited by scott

Last ever Beatles show at Candlestick Park.

• Like 1

If you don't count the rooftop at Abbey Road in 1969...

If you don't count the rooftop at Abbey Road in 1969...

Nope. I wouldn't.

That was an outdoor film set. No paying audience.

Pluming the depths there (Royal mint ) 50th anniversary of the death of Churchill , there will be a 150 year celebration of the invention of water closet £5 coin next

would be perfect for the Royal mint given the amount of sh.... yea

Edited by scott

yep somewhere to deposit those Churchill crowns

yep somewhere to deposit those Churchill crowns

They must still have bags full of the last one, didn't they learn a lesson.