British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

Ebay Global shite programme

So, i bought a lovely Liz I sixpence on the 26th Oct, seller was part of the global shipping Programme and he told me he had to send this to an address in Alfreton who were the Partners in this shite. anyway my coin had been sat in Germany sice the 31st Oct and had'nt moved from the tracking i could see on ebay.

I done a Little digging around and had come accross a lot of complaints regarding this new Service but could'nt find anyway to find the shipping Partner who'd actually done the shipping. The Boss has just called DHL to ask why the hold up and they said my Name was there plus postcode but my freaking address is'nt on the packet.

Raging is'nt the word, and now DHL tells me they must send it back to the Sender, fooking excellent, assholes

rant over

After calling ebay it turns out that ONLY the seller can write the address, the GSP don't have access to that info

I've actually sold a book to the Netherlands at the weekend through this - as a seller, you don't find out until you come to arrange postage. I was only provided with the buyers name and reference number and then the address of the company who would facilitate onward transfer which was in Normanton, Derbyshire.

This all really stinks! I think eBay have finally got too big for their boots! People will revolt when the options arrive (not that it will come as a single organisation)! As with governments, people rarely forget being screwed up the arse!

It's ridiculous to have secondary posting, how can that ever be cheaper in the long run?

This is a classic case of soaking up the costs until the competition goes bust! We all know from the piss-taking restructure of the PO to capitalise on the eBay model that parcel postage is the mainstay of the Royal Mail. How they have played into the hands of eBay (watch your PO shares, unless the government steps in) because, if eBay pull this off, the PO are out of here, screwed by emails, and then eBay's world domination postal strategy! Very sad, as the prices will climb!

Trying to get the number of the shipping company was impossible. Having googled the GSP There was many ebay community Threads from disgruntled customers regarding costs/time and import taxes, ESPECIALLY in Australia. Nearly EVERY Single person basically said they would'nt buy again from ebay if the GSP was part of the deal.

I've emailed the seller and he basically said what richtips above has said, There was no address, only the address of the shipping company. I explained the situation and that the coin will eventually be returned to him and also said we should sort it privately without ebays wonderful New BS postage, so now i Have to wait probably another 3 weeks minimum.

Richtips, you may experience the same from your buyer, pre warning, if i were you i'd opt out

Cheers ebay, you suck

Edited by azda

The wife got opted in by default initially. We sold something, but the buyer didn't want to complete. I don't know how much they wanted to charge him, but based on my experience is probably at least a third again as what it should be.

I Really still can't see how they are Allowed to overcharge on import tax. 5% in the UK and 7% here in Germamy, their cost is between 25 and 30% trading standards amd governments should be stopping in here. I'd emailed an American seller last week about a coin, it was $425, i noticed there was no global shipping but also only internal shipping.

I asked if price was negotiable and if he posted to the EU, he Replied Monday and said he'd now entered into the GSP, he dropped his price by $25 but the GSP had taxes of $95, i can see EU buyers not bothering with ebay.com soon enough, dropping profits for ebay again amd them having to make up the shortfall eventually, vicious circle comes to mind.

I remember the old days of ebay when you could report a seller for OTT postage costs, it seems ebay is Exempt from this these days

Edited by azda

Just an update on my sale through the GSP but my buyer has received the item even praising the speed of delivery!!! Interestingly I recorded the address from one source and then found a bit more info for the address somewhere else that had been missing from the first source!

Well, I've made my first purchase via GSP. Though the seller didn't even know he was enrolled, let alone what it involves! :blink:

Anyway, despite reservations (the bloody T&Cs read like they are trying to buy your soul) the first stage (correct levy of UK import duties) went ok and my item has been dispatched. The GSP shipping cost was pretty much what I'd have expected for a heavy book to be posted from the US, so no complaints there.

Bit odd having two tracking numbers but we'll see how it goes ...

Crikey, just read through the ebay rules involved in this scheme.....what an over complicated load of old toff, a prime example of squeezing more money out of sales!.......Trust ebay!!

I've just sold a batch of coins, WITHOUT the global thing, and all went as usual, with people politely requesting 'do you post to Japan,' etc.

I think it worked perfectly well before...a shame eBay has complicated matters, just to further line their pockets! I'm sure they're already working out how they can become a monarch of a country, sorry, empire, in their efforts to dominate the world, sorry, universe!

Moretha likely they've done this because they're losing sellers due to their over complicated rules and have to offset the loss somehow

I just wonder if you don't join it does it make your items less visible which would be pretty poor of them because all sellers pay their money

Edited by azda

Hard to say re visibilty, but I did get bidders AND buyers from Japan, US, and Canada. Whether they were searching for UK coins on the co.uk site or not, I don't know?

To be honest, I've never really worried about the visibilty thing, as I believe that anyone looking for UK coins would check the UK site, as I would check out French eBay if looking for French coins.

Perhaps so, but as we know people don't want to trawl reams of ebay shite, so the visibilty comes into play how near the start of their search your coin is, if its near you're bound to get bites, if its last then potential buyers would be put off by the number of pages they must trawl

Edited by azda

I have found no problem with eBay visibility, it always seems to list items as selling soonest by default, and if I change the criteria that always seems to work too ... items matching my criteria selling on other international eBay sites are always at the bottom of the page, however

eBay doesn't make it easy, limiting the number of search terms and stopping the use of wildcards. It's like they actually want to put people off bothering to look for what they might want to buy and force them to trawl through unrelated items.

However it's still possible to narrow down your search results considerably. But as with most things, results are down to how much time and effort you want to put in ..

eBay doesn't make it easy, limiting the number of search terms and stopping the use of wildcards. It's like they actually want to put people off bothering to look for what they might want to buy and force them to trawl through unrelated items.

However it's still possible to narrow down your search results considerably. But as with most things, results are down to how much time and effort you want to put in ..

Which for many I suspect is move on and get a life. The number of people willing to surmount any and all hurdles that eBay introduce must be a fraction of the total number of viewers meaning that the default action is more likely to be not bothering doing the search. The most successful things are the simplest - such as the lottery, where all you have to be able to do is point or grunt and hand over a quid.

They've broken the exclude by seller functionality too, which most of you will remember I use heavily. After a few weeks hassling them about it, they have admitted it is a real bug, and issued me with a little ticket number, but no sign of a fix yet.

Up until a year ago I would every evening do a 24 hour new listings search of British coins. Once the numbers got up to the level where they exceeded the maximum search number (10,000) I could no longer search the whole previous 24 hours, so I gave up.

Edited by Gary1000

Hats off to you for doing that! You must have the patience of Job.

I struggle looking at more than a couple dozen pages. I'm not sure I would survive the ordeal of a couple hundred.

I TRY To be more specific in My search Although not everything that i look for comes up in the search amd if i click the same search twice i see Coins that were'nt previously in the previous search unless it's only searching for Newly listed coins.

A lot of searching going on but i VERY rarely buy from ebay these days, it has to be really good for me to buy off There now as there's far to much tat, overgrading, poor piictures and shill bidding going on.

Ah, the only privilege I have from being brassic is that my eBay searches only cover E1 (general) & J1/C1 farthings! Takes about two minutes! ;)

Well, the first stage went fine with detailed tracking via USPS up to delivery at Pitney Bowes facility in Erlanger KY.

And it appears my book is now in the UK as it's supposedly with the UK delivery service (13ten).

But getting the tracking number to work on their website, or finding out which carrier will be bringing my purchase to my door is so far proving tricky.

I'll maybe phone them tomorrow and see if I can get some clarification... watch this space.

A quick (0800!) phone call reveals my package is in the process of being handed over to Hermes to deliver.

Under a (third and) completely different tracking number, but hey .. so long as it gets here safely, I don't care.

Edited by TomGoodheart