British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mynki

CGS Grading again

The best reason to buy slabbed/graded coins is that you can trust the grading (generally speaking). Put it this way - I trust CGS & PCGS a lot more than I trust the majority of BNTA members.

Oh, you can trust CSG implicitly ;)

I might slab an extremely valuable coin in BU (say 1826 or 1831 crown, if I could afford one) as the merest bump or friction would technically make it GEF, knocking a couple of thousand off its value. Also extensively forged coins such as 1763 shilling & 1905 halfcrown. Generally I prefer unslabbed ones - my GF's and NVF will still be GF & NVF even with a touch of friction every now and then & I'd rather be able to handle them. I haven't bothered to release my 2 (out of c.250) slabs though.

I've only just realised that CGS Have obviously taken On some Form of PCGS, they've just dropped the Professional in the name

I've only just realised that CGS Have obviously taken On some Form of PCGS, they've just dropped the Professional in the name

I knew you would like this one Dave...I sent some coins to Heritage to sell, and they responded about one of them being in a CGS slab...They want to crack it out, and have it re-certified by NGC! I told them to send it back to me, as is! That tells you a little of what the USA sales market thinks of CGS! I don't agree with that however. I think Heritage just has a love affair with NGC (and PCGS and ANACS). :huh:

CGS are'nt international nor are they big enough to be dictating prices and have never understood why people would buy at a price suggested by them for a grade. They are however they best at British coins. The recent 1860 halfpenny i got they had a slabbed CGS80 and valued it at £750

duplicate post

Edited by azda

If you purchased a CGS slabbed coin would you ever remove it from the slab?

Look forward to your replies.

I only collect coins that I like. Hence someone else's opinion is largely irrelevant and it would come out of the slab to go in the trays. Of course the label would be retained, just as I keep old tickets and envelopes. They are part of the provenance and history of the coin.

If however I bought it in the hopes of selling it on for a profit, the slabbing might play a part in that. And even if not, I'd probably leave it for the future owner to decide. Easy enough to unslab a coin. Difficult to put them back!

A 1946 dot penny on ebay. The c.g.s. value is £16 and the seller wants almost £100.Although the coin was only graded fine if i was trying to sell it would of been broken out of the slab .I am sure with cgs strict grading a lot of coins are bought at e/f and resold at unc by numerous dealers/sellers on ebay.

And bought slabbed as cleaned EF, scratches VF etc, un-slabbed and sold without these defects mentioned

Yes paulus i am sure all of the rejects get resold ,without the problems mentioned. Thats why i am happy with the collection i have put together.I have about 80 c.g.s. pennies and although a couple may be suspect the majority i feel a dealer would describe better.

Regarding the international element of CGS, I reckon they let themselves down with the 100-point grading system rather than going with the established Sheldon scale.

I actually really like the idea of trying to quantify grade, especially for milled coinage and if the population reports were comprehensive that'd be really useful. But with a large number of TPGs, many re-submissions, raw coins that have not yet been submitted and no attempts to record coins in museums etc. the population databases can't really be relied on. Nor grade for that matter but this has been discussed quite a bit already :D Anyway so what you have to do is spend a chunk of your coin budget on catalogues to try to figure it all out :ph34r:

One big negative for me is the whole slab glorification of coins. It makes sense that the 65s and 66s skyrocket in auction, because they're nice - not because they have a number stuck on the front. Same with the CAC stickers - why is the coin worth 20% more with one of these stickers on it?

I'll leave you with a conditional rarity:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-1862-Victoria-Bun-head-Half-Penny-NGC-Cert-MS65RD-/221550995387?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item339577e7bb

Regarding the international element of CGS, I reckon they let themselves down with the 100-point grading system rather than going with the established Sheldon scale.

I agree Damian, I'm pretty sure that if they had their time again they would stick to the Sheldon scale and not invent a new one - it's not as if they even use more than 1/3 of the numbers from 1-100!

Trying to assign a single grade to a coin (which all TPGs and most dealers do these days) is in any case tricky if there is a significant difference in grade between the obv and rev - when this is the case I would like to see the seller's / auctioneer's / grader's separate grade assessment for each.

When there is a difference in grade of half a grade or more, what do people feel the overall grade should be advertised as? The best of the 2? The lower? An average? Weighting towards the obverse (which I have heard is common practice) ?

Edited by Paulus