British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  

Hi, I have recently come across this piece, and have absolutely no idea what it is.

I picked it up, because presumably - due to the age - it is silver, and so would be worth around £1 in scrap. I will keep it if it's worth a little more, though; I acknowledge that it has a hole in it, but am just curious of what it is.

I can tell you that it is not in "collectors coins GB", or in any of my other books, but it has the Britannia on it so surely it is British? Please help!

looks like a 1791 pattern sixpence

Yes, indeed. One sold in the last DNW auction:

1791 Pattern by J.-P. Droz, in silver, crowned cypher within wreath, rev. Britannia seated left, edge plain, 2.51g/12h (ESC 1647; Selig 1232).

http://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/catalogue-archive/lot.php?department=Coins&lot_id=116414

Shame about the condition.

Wow! Thank you - I had absolutely no idea! Well, I do think it's a really nice design - and don't want to pay £200 - so I'm keeping it. And it is definitely not going for scrap now! Just another query for anyone: how much less - and I know it's a lot - is this one worth, would you say?

Wow! Thank you - I had absolutely no idea! Well, I do think it's a really nice design - and don't want to pay £200 - so I'm keeping it. And it is definitely not going for scrap now! Just another query for anyone: how much less - and I know it's a lot - is this one worth, would you say?

Hard to say what it is worth and to be honest, I would leave that to someone more experienced in buying and selling than I am. Maybe I would hazard a guess at £25. Personally, I wouldn't buy it due to its condition. The DNW one sold for £340 but obviously it was in much better condition.

£25 is fantastic. Thanks, Jaggy!

That's better than a £1 scrap, CT...good result! :)