British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

HeavyT

Rare £2 coins

I purchased a lot of them and to be honest i cannot say i have seen the majority of the £2 coins before and some i paid less than £2 but postage was mostly in the £1.50 range for them.

The Northern Ireland commonwealth games was the most expensive single coin and the set of Shakespeare were £18.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like you have quite a collection there Dave, I don't know why you were worried about having cleaned them. They look good to me.

Edited by IanB

Hi IanB

I thought cleaning and polishing coins devalued them but at the end of the day I guess they are still only worth £2 each to someone.

When I had them some were really grubby and others just untidy so I cleaned and polished them with a gentle buffer to give them a bit of a shine.

Dave

Edited by Davethepitch

Its hard to tell through the plastic, open a couple up and take a photo.

How many have you got? 

That is a coin with a lot going on in the design and I am guessing its been in circulation. From the photo its hard to tell if it has been cleaned. Personally it would not bother me, I reckon you should carry on collecting them and let it be a lesson for the future. 

Don't let this get you down, enjoy what you have and stick with it.

Cleaning grubby coins is one thing but polishing can add scratches and remove high spot detail, so best left undone in my opinion.  

Dave, you seem to be unhappy with some of your purchases and perceived mistakes, but remember you are just learning a new hobby, you are bound to find it difficult to start with, but the most important think is to learn, this forum is great for asking questions, but as others have also advised find some dealers you trust, you wont get so many bargains as you might see on eBay, but you wont get stung either. Read as much as you can, then read some more, knowledge is important in this hobby, but my top recommendation is to find and join a local club, you will find plenty of experienced collectors to help steer you in the right direction and some will become friends not just fellow collectors.

Happy collecting.

Ian..

Hello Ian

Thank you for the advice andI know I get worried as I suffer from anxiety and depression in fact I was finished from work in April after 27 years because of my sickness absences in this last 18 months but that's my fault. 

I don't really need anymore £2 coins but I need to keep a check on my money I spend.

I am sorry bore you with my present life story and I appreciate your input.

I have not cleaned any of my queen Victoria coins and I purchased most of them from dealers.

Dave

Edited by Davethepitch

Dave You have a good eye for presentation.You can improve coins by using pure acetone and a cotton bud to remove gunge,verdigris is a known coin improver for copper and bronze,just don't rub/polish/buff your coins and they will be OK.I have even used Goddards silver dip (with a cotton bud) to remove isolated distracting stains. Keep collecting and posting.The whole scenario can be very rewarding and for me benefits the mind and soul...Hang in there buddy and maybe add a few more predecimal series coins.

Slip of the keyboard there - I think Peter means Verdicare, not verdigris !

I admit I used a soft buffing wheel and some cleaner to clean and buff the £2 coins so the damage is done and I have just purchased a Magna Carta £2 coin and I will put that straight in a sealed pocket.

My queen Victoria coins are as I purchased them and I have put them in pockets.

This is going to sound strange but the Victoria coins make me think about the life of the coin and what it has purchased and who had them but the £2 coins are just for display of different designs for friends to see.

17 minutes ago, Davethepitch said:

This is going to sound strange but the Victoria coins make me think about the life of the coin and what it has purchased and who had them...

Nothing strange about that Dave, I think that often, especially with foreign coins. "How on earth did that get to be with me?" :)

Old pocket watches have the same effect on me it is like they want to talk.

I am drifting into the realms of fantasy just ignore me. :)

My last two £2 coins the 2015 Magna Carta and 2016 WW1 (BU) versions came today and other than the trail coins i have the full set i think.

On 12/06/2016 at 6:43 PM, IanB said:

Its hard to tell through the plastic, open a couple up and take a photo.

How many have you got? 

I have a total of 42 different £2 coins worth a grand total of £84 but the strange thing is i have paid less than £2 for some of them but the P&P put the prices up for the sellers but they have not made much out of them.

Some of the coins i have had from friends and family for face value and some i have paid more for but the most expensive has been HMS Belfast £2 as that is sealed in a Royal mint BU packet that was £16 but they were sold by the mint for £10 but no longer available and the Shakespeare three coin set £18.

Dave

20160616_190621.jpg

Edited by Davethepitch

That's a fair collection for a reasonable amount of money. 

12 minutes ago, IanB said:

That's a fair collection for a reasonable amount of money. 

Hi IanB

I have paid between say £1.80 plus P&P of £1.50 odd to £18 (Shakespeare three coin set) for some of the coins and some i have had given to me and some i have paid friends face value.

But at the end of the day the collection has a value of £118 and i think i paid in the region of £45 - £50 for the piedforts but i am sure i have paid to much for them. :(

Edited by Davethepitch

Found a new brittania £2 in my change the other day

lol

Of course if you want a really rare £2 coin, you need the mono-metallic trial coin from 1994. I was lucky enough to pick this up about 10 years ago before people really cottoned on to it.

Monometallic 2 pound trial ver2.jpg

• Like 1