British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

copper123

anyone notice the mule farthing

Looking through the compleated listings on ebay I came across a small lot of farthings including an unidentified 1860 mule , two bidders had spotted it so there was no really bargain for either of them .

Seems really strange that so many people put ungenuine mules on there a pass them off as the real thing and yet a experienced dealer cannot spot what is surely a classic rarity , even if in low grade.

Anyway i am sure the coin reached about its true value at around £100 or so you could probably have got £150 for it properly identified so i surpose the other 9 or so farthings were free in effect.

There really cannot be many more unidentified out there now as most all of them must be in collectors hands.

Looking through the compleated listings on ebay I came across a small lot of farthings including an unidentified 1860 mule , two bidders had spotted it so there was no really bargain for either of them .

Seems really strange that so many people put ungenuine mules on there a pass them off as the real thing and yet a experienced dealer cannot spot what is surely a classic rarity , even if in low grade.

Anyway i am sure the coin reached about its true value at around £100 or so you could probably have got £150 for it properly identified so i surpose the other 9 or so farthings were free in effect.

There really cannot be many more unidentified out there now as most all of them must be in collectors hands.

Copper,

Here in the USA it happens all the time. I bought a nice mule farthing from a dealer at the recent ANA show for $20. He had it marked as a 1860 farthing. I have since sold it for 10 times that! So it does happen, even from experienced dealers.

People DO miss the rare stuff. I have bought a few rares from coin dealers on ebay they missed.

best one was 3 William 3rd love token bent shillings... them and everyone else failing to spot the only visible detail one one was the Scottish arms at date.

also picked up 1879 narrow date penny.. for 99p+ postage despite the listing saying TWO TYPES OF 1879 PENNY

1897 high tides also missed by everyone.

listed William III rarities bought for less then non-rare washers

even found clear stuff like a TERTVS halfpenny in a bulk lot with both sides visable

and one i bought the other day

£4.99 BIN 1694 1773 and 1806 halfpenny, the 1694 is better then a huge number that sell for a fiver... and again a seller of plenty of coins on ebay... Unbarred A's in MARIA too..

People do miss rare things on eBay, but usually it is a trade-off between rarity and quality. An awful lot of eBay listings are painful to view. Buying them would be a tad masochistic as you would then have to look at them for years to come.

eBay has changed with the number of items listed up 10-fold in the past decade, but the days of rarities in a decent grade and selling for bargain prices are generally a thing of the past. People have obviously got too much time on their hands.

People DO miss the rare stuff. I have bought a few rares from coin dealers on ebay they missed.

best one was 3 William 3rd love token bent shillings... them and everyone else failing to spot the only visible detail one one was the Scottish arms at date.

also picked up 1879 narrow date penny.. for 99p+ postage despite the listing saying TWO TYPES OF 1879 PENNY

1897 high tides also missed by everyone.

listed William III rarities bought for less then non-rare washers

even found clear stuff like a TERTVS halfpenny in a bulk lot with both sides visable

and one i bought the other day

£4.99 BIN 1694 1773 and 1806 halfpenny, the 1694 is better then a huge number that sell for a fiver... and again a seller of plenty of coins on ebay... Unbarred A's in MARIA too..

Can we see your 1694 unbarred A's 1/2d please Scott?

I'm curious to know how one which came in a job lot for £4.99 looks! :)

yea I'll post it later, in the new acquisitions thread.

Edited by scott