British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Doctor

Rare but holed Charles Exeter shilling

Hi,

post-8525-0-99585100-1414649595_thumb.jppost-8525-0-46478800-1414649618_thumb.jppost-8525-0-20517000-1414649647_thumb.jp

The rare but holed Charles I Exeter shilling - S3085. Spink doesn't indicate the price just stated that this variation - 16rose44 - is rare.

The only analogue I can find is here:

http://www.dnw.co.uk...s&lot_id=130049

Questions:

• I understood that the hole extremely affects the price but would ask how much does it cost approximately?
  • Is ti possible to repair the hole and if yes will it positively affect the price and what is the best way to repair it?

Regards,

Doc

It's worth £350, i think that's the price you paid on ebay for it, i was watching it too but eventually decided the hole was it's let fdown, in fact, those are the exact ebay images ;)

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

It's worth £350, i think that's the price you paid on ebay for it, i was watching it too but eventually decided the hole was it's let fdown, in fact, those are the exact ebay images ;)

Thanks for response. Yes, I paid £340 for this coin and images were taken for ebay listing. What about repairing? Is it wosrt to do or better to leave the coin as it?

It doesn't really matter whether you leave it alone or plug it. If you do decide to plug it, get somebody who knows what they are doing as you still have the potential to reduce its value by doing a bad job. With or without hole, it is still impaired however rare.

It's a pity it was holed as the reverse is quite good.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Hi,

The rare but holed Charles I Exeter shilling - S3085. Spink doesn't indicate the price just stated that this variation - 16rose44 - is rare.

The only analogue I can find is here:

http://www.dnw.co.uk...s&lot_id=130049

Questions:

• I understood that the hole extremely affects the price but would ask how much does it cost approximately?
  • Is ti possible to repair the hole and if yes will it positively affect the price and what is the best way to repair it?

Regards,

Doc

The piece you linked to is one of the best examples available and was always going to fly. The wear to the portrait is minimal in comparison to yours and it doesn't have a hole.

I'd not bother with a repair, as Rob said, a bad job and it may lose more value. Leave as is

Thanks to all!

It is good to heard that the coin worst the money I paid.

will leave it as is, never planned to sell it anyway

thanks again

Before you make your mind up about whether to repair or not, you might like to consider the work of the American who runs this service: http://www.crs-stockton.com/index2.html

The before and after photos are impressive, BUT I have not seen his work on anything hammered, so can't say how he would perform on your coin. Let's just say that he has done a fantastic job on the coins shown on his website. If you didn't want to use this guy, then I would certainly echo the points on here about not having it crudely plugged, as that will only make things worse.

• Like 1

Will try to contact him, thanks.

But as far as I understand he is very busy...

Yes, I believe his turn round times are quite long, but his prices are quite reasonable.

Yes, I believe his turn round times are quite long, but his prices are quite reasonable.

The price is 225$ and turn round time is approximately 6 months...will think.

I'd be careful about sending this coin to be repaired to the States as I'd not be satisfied that they have enough experience repairing hammered coins. There are a few people in the UK who have done good jobs - it might be worth talking to a few dealers about this first.

I'd be careful about sending this coin to be repaired to the States as I'd not be satisfied that they have enough experience repairing hammered coins. There are a few people in the UK who have done good jobs - it might be worth talking to a few dealers about this first.

Do you have the their contacts?