British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
bazvogue

1878 1/3rd Farthing Errors

When examining a 1978 Third Farthing i noticed the following varieties/errors...see scans below

CVICTORIAONETHIRDFARTHING1878TAILSDATENE

18781thirdfarthingNARROWDATECURLYTAILED7

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r311/bazvogue/18781thirdfarthingIGUNDERNGOFFARTHING.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r311/bazvogue/18781thirdfarthingBROKENCROWN.jpg

In a recent Michael Gouby list he mentions 4 different reverses for this coin

1878 -1/3rd. Farthing 3 date varieties & 1 error repair

Var. A Narrow date (2nd 8 below I of ING; 7 has flat base)
Var. B Wider date (2nd 8 between IN of ING; 7 has flat base)
Var. C Narrow date (Tail of 7 curls backwards, round base)
Var. D As per Var. C - I or G error struck between NG of ING

my coin seems to conform to variety D...with the added MIS-SHAPEN IMPERIAL CROWN for good measure

But am i right?

Thanks Baz

Yes, I would agree with you on that - but I believe to have one too (albeit in a worse grade than yours). I know the picture isn't great (It's hard taking one of such a tiny coin!), but would you agree that it's the same as yours? The crown is equally as strange!

post-8432-0-24524300-1415120490_thumb.jp

impossible to tell with any certainty from your poor scan but going on what i can see it looks like variety A

the dead giveaway on variety D is the backward curving tail to the 7 and N over I between and behind the legs of the N

my example also shows traces of a G behind and slightly to the left of G of farthing

if i remember correctly Michael Gouby noted this repair can only be seen on coins EF and above

as for the crown i have 12 other examples of the 1878 third farthing and there is variation to the crown

but not as pronounced as my shown example

Thanks Baz