British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The Reverse of my Anne Crown has a "blob like" flaw between the 1 and 7 of the date - it looks like the base of a mis-placed 7, but as I haven't seen another one I can't compare it with any. Has anyone got a similar one?

The coin in my copy of ESC has a stop before MAG, but mine has a colon. It's not a fantastic discovery, but I find it interesting. I haven't seen any such "varieties" listed anywhere.

post-8294-0-07526500-1414175352_thumb.jp

post-8294-0-32709000-1414175372_thumb.jp

The Reverse of my Anne Crown has a "blob like" flaw between the 1 and 7 of the date - it looks like the base of a mis-placed 7, but as I haven't seen another one I can't compare it with any. Has anyone got a similar one?

The coin in my copy of ESC has a stop before MAG, but mine has a colon. It's not a fantastic discovery, but I find it interesting. I haven't seen any such "varieties" listed anywhere.

The blob between the 1 & 7 is irregular and looks like a flaw as opposed to a character. My 1707E crown also has a single stop after the date. Maybe the various punctuation was used as a die identifier?

post-381-0-87673400-1414184598_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob

Further to the above, your specimen has 9 harp strings, mine has 13.

Lingford had 4 specimens dated 1707, two with 9 strings to the harp, one with eleven strings and one with 13.

Paget had 6 pieces, 1 with 9, one with 10, 1 with 11 and 3 with 13 strings.

Whetmore had one piece, this from the same die as yours.

Another example from the same reverse die was in Spink 62 lot 361, Spink 125 lot 711 and Ferrari 79.

Nightingale had one example with 10 strings.

Unfortunately, very few E below crowns are illustrated due to the difficulty in finding high grade examples, this despite their relative abundance. The dies tend to be a bit iffy with many exhibiting flaws. Poor flan quality in the form of regular pitting also plays its part meaning that if you see a well struck and fault free example in EF or better, grab it before it goes. ;)

Edited by Rob

Joy, Rob has posted another (rare) pic of a top grade coin from his collection. Can we see the obverse please? :)

Joy, Rob has posted another (rare) pic of a top grade coin from his collection. Can we see the obverse please? :)

I believe Rob bought this one last year in the Corbitts sale if i'm not mistaken, the OBV was just as nice

I believe Rob bought this one last year in the Corbitts sale if i'm not mistaken, the OBV was just as nice

Very good, Dave's on the ball. The image is in the coin acquisition thread around end Sept- early Oct last year.

Thanks for the comments and picture. Very attractive coin - beautifully toned. I forgot to say that on mine the E of ET is extremely weak. Has anyone seen another like this?

I don't usually bother about the number of harp strings, as we know they can vary, but it's still interesting to note the variation.

I don't usually bother about the number of harp strings, as we know they can vary, but it's still interesting to note the variation.

I quite agree. In the 50s and 60s, Jackson Kent spent 10 years studying the number of harp strings on W3 coins only to conclude that you couldn't infer anything from it. The same would apply to Anne's coinage. That's the point. The question of single stops, colon stops, filled in colons etc is usually nothing more useful than a means of identifying dies, but as to whether they are worth pursuing as varieties then the answer is probably no in the majority of cases. I would consider stop variation only on coins where you can demonstate that the stops have a meaning. Or for example, no stops whatsoever which is a fairly obvious difference.

The convention used for stops was a single stop after a complete word or a colon/stop and apostrophe/ 9 etc in the case of a contracted word. In this context the colon after the date might have a case for inclusion as a variety, but then, so might my single stop after FR. Personally I wouldn't get too excited about it unless as part of a means of identifying the handiwork of an individual or some other method of identification.

The crucial factor in all this of course is that a publication is available, otherwise attitudes are either boundless enthusiasm or total anathema. Once someone has done all the spadework, everybody has or wants to have the unrecorded example. Somewhat fewer people are interested in the underlying reason for their existence.

Very good, Dave's on the ball. The image is in the coin acquisition thread around end Sept- early Oct last year.

Oh yes, thanks, here's the pic you posted then:

1707_CR_Rob_Pearce_zpsf5b15f04.jpg

I always remember quality Rob ;)