British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Michael-Roo

1694 Farthing unbarred A's in Maria

Another from my collection.

A nice example of this rare variety.

post-8388-0-00666400-1413288560_thumb.jp

post-8388-0-10994700-1413288576_thumb.jp

What's an unbarred A worth today? Mine's a slightly lesser grade, I'd be interested?

What's an unbarred A worth today? Mine's a slightly lesser grade, I'd be interested?

I'm not really sure. The Spink price is £200 for fine. I suppose mine's a bit better that that. So yours might be fine?

No records of a sale in recent years on the London Coins site. George Coins have one at £79 but its pretty worn (VG?).

Lucky old us. I think this one is still holding up as a rare variety. ;)

My apologies. I see YOU are George Coins!

I would think £79 is probably a fair price for your example. :)

dunno how rare it is, but W&M seems to sell well even in washer grade, which is probably what makes these rarer.

dunno how rare it is, but W&M seems to sell well even in washer grade, which is probably what makes these rarer.

I think that's probably true. Always popular. Higher grades sometimes realise surprising prices.

my GC site has sat unattended for a 12 month, on account of my recent boat project, so has majorly slipped in the Google ranks! However, the unbarred A's coin I have has done eBay AND the site (at high ranking) with no interest?

I really think the W3 and W&M coppers have lost their rarity value on account of recent vagueness re attribution and die blocks!

I had a die-Blocked silver, last year, that was Die-linked to the Spink's no-stop, and shown to be so, but it still exists in the Spinks catalogue as a variety, despite their email of change?????

some rarities get listed on ebay and don't sell for as much as the washer selling at the same time.

my GC site has sat unattended for a 12 month, on account of my recent boat project, so has majorly slipped in the Google ranks! However, the unbarred A's coin I have has done eBay AND the site (at high ranking) with no interest?

I really think the W3 and W&M coppers have lost their rarity value on account of recent vagueness re attribution and die blocks!

I had a die-Blocked silver, last year, that was Die-linked to the Spink's no-stop, and shown to be so, but it still exists in the Spinks catalogue as a variety, despite their email of change?????

some rarities get listed on ebay and don't sell for as much as the washer selling at the same time.

Ahoy!

You're both correct.

It's a strange thing. In the past I've seen varieties with a buy it now price languishing on ebay for months, even after the vendor has offered a reduction. Then along comes a lesser example, listed with a 99p starting price, and ends up selling for much more than the first coin. I suppose it must be bidders are either not searching as comprehensively as they should or are falling into a bidding frenzy as the end time approaches.

I've sometimes found it worth asking a vendor if they are willing to take a reasonable offer on a buy it now, even if 'or best offer' isn't mentioned on the listing, particularly if the coin has been on there for some time.

As they say; "If y'don't ask, y'don't get.'…….. :)