British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
colliewalker1

Reproduction Coins

I hope that Im not uttering an obscenity :rolleyes: but do reproduction coins have any place have any place in a collection?

From the photos that I have seen these can look very attractive and do show what a 'proof' version(which might be very difficult to find - or afford') of a 'very vintage' coin looks like.

Are there 'approved'productions - for quality - of reproduction coins?

Some people like them if the original is unafordable or extremely rare. I think some people collect them... :)

I know there's a special dealer who makes them, can't remeber his name, but i know he advertises in Coin News.

I hope that Im not uttering an obscenity :rolleyes: but do reproduction coins have any place have any place in a collection?

I think that's entirely a matter for the collector. Some of them do look very attractive and some don't. Many of them are not so much reproductions as fantasy strikings which say "this is what a..... might have looked like." (How true that is is often a matter of opinion. Think of that nasty Maklouf Edward VIII stuff.)

Any decent reproducer will make it clear that what they offer is a reproduction and that they have no intention of deceiving you into thinking you're getting the real thing. They can fill a gap - quite literally - in date runs where an original is too rare to come your way. Some people would rather have a repro 1933 penny etc. than nothing. Personally I'm not one of them, but as long as it's all above board I see no harm in it. It's when there is an intention to deceive that you're talking fakes and forgeries - although even these can acquire an interest in their own right with the passage of time.

My 1945 threepennorth :D

For coins which are way out of a collector's league, repro is the way to go. I'm looking for the upper denominations of George IV 1826 gold in reporductions because I can't affored them.

Advert in 'Treasure Hunting Magaizine'

Quote..........

Superb Replicas of Historic Coins and Artifacts.

There are over 500 items in the fast growing range of all-metal reproductions

of ancient coins and artifacts produced by Museum Reproductions. They provide

accurate and inexpensive references for detector users, landowners, schools,

local historians, collectors and museums.

For complete list send SAE to

Museum Reproductions, (Dept.TH)

52 Stonehills Lane. Runcorn WA75UL

Tel.01928 566689

They provide accurate and inexpensive references for detector users, landowners, schools, local historians, collectors and museums.

So do books ;)

I love the "Three Graces" design and have notcied it one some of the "pattern" (and I use the term loosely) Euros for the UK and it makes me wonder why the UK doesn't issue something with the design on, instead of "Anniversary of the four-minute mile" etc.

They make very nice reproductions of Una and the Lion £5 coins too apparently.

Personally i just can't do it, sure they can be attactive and a cheap alternative, but i can't bring myself to substitute a fake for a real piece, i'd rather wait an incredibly long time and possibly never get the real piece rather than get a repro. I don't disagree with repros, it's just it'd always be niggling away at the back of my mind that it's not real and i'd feel it would cheapen my collection. If that made sense? :huh:

but i can't bring myself to substitute a fake for a real piece

This is a very understandable point of view, although not my own.

To draw a comparison in another area,for those interested in art and hanging pictures on their walls, reproductions of famous paintings will give them a lot of pleasure ,when owning the original is as likely as winning the lottery! :rolleyes: