British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hello all,

I am looking to sell my 1841 Halfcrown. I am torn between putting it into a London based auction house or putting it for a long stint on ebay (the thinking being that if people don't have to pay commission when buying they would hopefully bid higher). I have looked at the London Coins results for the past 4 ish years and they seem to be making good money. Any suggestions on what you all think this example would realise? I see the Victorian market, particularly halfcrowns doing well at the moment in general.

There is a scratch on Viccy's neck and a lighter one to the top of her head but otherwise it is a very nice example.

post-7996-0-28574900-1412415853_thumb.jp

I w0uld try ebay initially.

Maybe £4.2k- BIN £4.5k and see if you get a bite.

Pity about the obverse scratches.

As you know it is a R3.

At the end of the day it is your decision..

CCGB rates it about £1.5k in VF which yours isn't, but better than Fine I'd say. Probably about £1k to the right buyer.

CCGB rates it about £1.5k in VF which yours isn't, but better than Fine I'd say. Probably about £1k to the right buyer.

Peck

Look what they have been going for at London coins.

The market has rocketed since 2007/8

Noted.

I'd say its a £2,000 - £2,500 coin to the right buyer. In todays market condition is everything and although its a rare date, given the marks etc the coin has ilimited appeal, perhaps as an affordable gap filler.

AMR have just sold a nice one at £5000

Noted.

Thanks Chris

Top quality and rare coins have been flying.

The last couple of DNW auctions had their estimates smashed.and yet Baldwins didn't sell a lot of lesser stuff.

I often do google searches on particular coins and you will be shocked how the high end stuff has increased.

Thanks all, to be honest I think I would be slightly dissapointed if I only got 1k for it! I find that with key dates and varieties the book value generally goes out of the window as if someone needs one they may pay higher prices. London Coins sold one for £3,400 which with commission means it cost someone £4k. It was a similar example to my coin just without the scratches. Whatever it fetches, it will hopefully go to a good home and give me some spending money to put back into my collection! Thank you for all of your opinions.

I rather know these coins & have seen more than a few. Remember that though this is a scarcer date that it is on a "log" value scale with the price escalating rapidly as condition increases. I am definitely in the 1-1.5k crowd if you can find the right buyer. Now if you can pull it up to GEF status, you'll really have something. Don't get carried away by comparing to coins better preserved

I rather know these coins & have seen more than a few. Remember that though this is a scarcer date that it is on a "log" value scale with the price escalating rapidly as condition increases. I am definitely in the 1-1.5k crowd if you can find the right buyer. Now if you can pull it up to GEF status, you'll really have something. Don't get carried away by comparing to coins better preserved

Looking at the one on AMR Coins, which is very nice and £5k, I'd say yours should hit around the £1.5 - £2k mark. The wear will hold it down compared to AMRs and the scratches will take a bit more off.

I would chance my luck for a bit more.LC have only had 1 a year since 2007,

Let the market decide.

I hope it does not offend anybody, but that AMR coin is quite a dog. Started "modern" life as apparently gVF or so and then was cleaned and brushed to its current state. Waaaaaaaay overpriced and at least double its real retail value IMO. This has appeared some 17 times in LCA auctions since they kept records according to their site and does not include appearances in lot combos.

Some of the recent auctions have gotten a bit heated, but the lesser graded coins simply don't generate the same fight - same has held for the 1854 florin (which above VF I would rate a good deal scarcer).

• Like 1

I sold mine in EF at DNW last year.....now unless they've significantly doubled in price since then, then personally I would suggest it would be nearer the £1k mark.....there would be less appetite for it in that grade.....quite a rare date nonetheless.

I personally - upon acknowledging what they tend to fetch - would advise you to hold out at £2500. It is a very rare piece, in a very nice grade. It'll find the right buyer at that, I'm sure.