British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Vlad1410

Cracks and junctures on the coin surface

I'm really not experienced about higher grade large silver coins of Victorian era

Here goes Victoria Young Head half crown which overall seems to be VF if not better.

Please check attached images, hope they are capable to illustrate my question.

I'm talking about a crack on reverse residing left from the crown going through the very end of 'BRITANNIARUM' inscription.

Starting on the 'U', going right crossing 'M' and ending like a scale.

What is it? Just a flaw of the blank the coin was made of? Or the sign that coin could be a fake cheap metal imitation covered with silver? That scale-like thing makes me paranoid.

The half crown itself weights about 14.1 grams which is correct value.

Thanks.

post-7963-0-01763000-1412195129_thumb.jp

post-7963-0-35277900-1412195142_thumb.jp

post-7963-0-20163600-1412195161_thumb.jp

This is a fairly typical delamination flaw in the planchet resulting from metal defects. Gases and contaminants within the metal can result in delamination during the rolling out of the cast 925 silver bars. These layers can appear straight away after striking or gradually. As its a mint related impediment I wouldnt grade it down as severely as post strike damage

• Like 1